Will you be buying the new iPhone 3GS? [Poll]

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by LBG, Jun 8, 2009.

?

Will you be buying the new iPhone 3GS?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. No

46 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Maybe in the future

41 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Well I was maybe going to get one if I get good SAT grades as a "reward", but with AT&T not offering several of the features, along with complaints, I would hate for them 6 months later to offer it on another network(considering we have a verizon family plan), so no idea yet lol.

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    [​IMG]

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    (sorry for going off topic in my own thread, lol) But I thought the SATs had been abolished? They are nothing to worry about, they are all a load of BS for the government. I have just finished my GCSEs :D

4. dcodd87

dcodd87 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    this is HOARSE SH*T

5. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    ehh, I took them and I can apply for state scholarship with a decent grade(I found it easy though lmfao), but my parents said that might let me get an AT&T account and an iphone(of course I will probably have to pay for cancelling my contract and/or the phone, but that won't matter as much as I would sell my touch and just get the 32 gb.)

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Oh right, so you aren't talking about the UK SATs :D

7. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hmmm, so jailbreaking can double your storage to 32GB, give you a faster processor, digital compass, hardware encryption, and Nike+ integration? I bet it can't ;)

Just got out of a 13 hour day at work, missed all the fun of the live keynote blogs, but I'll definitely be picking up a 32GB iPhone 3Gs on the 19th... I'll probably keep my day one first gen iPhone around for testing purposes while programming. :D

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, what you said was true, but you have to admit that it doesn't bring as much new stuff as we had hoped for. That is why I will wait for the next iPhone. An OLED screen is what I want ;)

9. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Isn't the $499 for the 8GB iPhone 3G? They don't make a 8GB iPhone 3G s, do they?

You see, I only use around 1.3 GB, so a 16 or 32 GB is a waste.

10. Simbazz

Simbazz Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I meant feature wise, actually ;) Smart-arse :p

The whole storage thing isn't really an issue for me, if theres too much music, I have a iPod touch, and the faster processor doesn't bother me as I rarely play games which need it and I'm not adverse to waiting an extra second for things to open.

Digital compass, erm...I don't camp, or go on walking trips so yeh, gimmick if you ask me, Apple probably run out of "new," things for the iPhone 3Gs,

Now don't get me wrong, I love Apple, I really really do. I think they're somewhat the future, but they don't half know how to "dress-up" something which, in reality, isn't worth another fairly big payout!

11. themendoz

themendoz Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Wait, so are we 100 percent sure that the old iphones will not be able to record video? It seems that with the new OS, it should be possible.

12. HappyFuntime

HappyFuntime Active Member

Nice Upgrades But...

I think that if I didn't already have an iPhone 3G I'd be inclined to purchase the 3Gs; However, I think the cost factor for a current 3G owner to upgrade outweigh the benefits of having the new features, at least for now. Besides, I've been very happy with my iPhone 3G, so I don't see it as an utter necessity at this point.

If Apple decided to offer the new device to current iPhone owners at the same price as new ATT customers, the upgrade would be a no-brainer. Le sigh.

13. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    I want to... But first I need to get away from crappy Sprint :mad:

14. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    #34 5jusername, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
    quote from a yahoo! article:
    entry prices are:
    8 gigabyte 3g is now $99

16 3gs is 199

32 is 299

15. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Ditto. I got my 3G phone in Feb. There's no way I'm upgrading so soon for that much money. Especially when the 3.0 update rolls out, why wouldn't I want to enjoy my newly updated phone.

16. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    #36 learjetzoom, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
    This is correct ifyou DO NOT have a pre-existing contract i.e. Do not own an iPhone 3G.

If you own a 3G the prices are as follows.

If you pre-order, you pay.
    16GB $399
    32GB $499

If you don't pre-order, you pay.
    16GB $499
    32GB $599
    No matter which method of upgrade you choose, you are also forced to pay an additional $18.

If you wait till next year (when your contract ends) you will be eligible for the cheaper prices on the next gen iPhone. In other words, if you suck it up and get a 3GS now and you already own a 3G. Chances are, you'll be facing the same problem in a year when they release a new phone.

So, WHY upgrade now?
    A faster device. (But they didn't tell us whats faster about it. Just claimed it had "twice the magic.")
    A better camera. (Upgrade from 2 to 3mgpxls)
    The ability to capture video. (Very cool!)
    Compass integration and compass usage. (But lets be honest, who the hell needs a compass?)
    Voice capture commands. (For those who are too lazy to use the already easy interface)
    Lastly, it claims to have a longer battery life when doing certain tasks. (Ive had three 3G iPhones, all with different battery qualities, so I think this claim is nothing to look forward to)

There really isnt a reason any 3G owner should be considering the 3GS, even at the new contract price point.

A little more about the "extra battery life" on the 3GS.
    According to Apple.
    The battery expectancy on the 3G and 3GS are exactly the same when:
    On Standby - Up to 300 hours
    Talking on a 3G network - 5 hours
    Internet on 3G - 5 hours

They claim the battery life is better only when:
    Talking on 2G
    Using Wi-Fi
    Audio/Video playback

17. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I'll buy an iPod touch 2GS. :) (if they make one...) No iPhone for me. Everything I'd want in a device is in the iPod touch. Plus it's a better gaming device. So no.

18. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    So how do I get a this phone w/o having to go to ATT store or Apple store? Does it usually take a long time to get refurbs or for people to start putting them up on Ebay? I want one but I will not use ATT as my carrier. I was able to walk right into an Apple store and buy the 2G w/o any commitments. 3G they said I had to sign up with ATT or no phone at all...

19. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I wanted to get a iPhone 3GS but only if it was going to have an 8gb or even 4gb one for $99. I want it as a phone not a gaming device so size wasn't a problem but especially with the plan I am not forking out an extra $100. To me an iPhone 3G is really bad as a phone with video and many things missing so the 8gb one of that is NOT what I wanted. Bring out a $99 3GS otherwise I keep my cash :p

20. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    yep - pretty sure I will get the 3Gs

I've got Orig iPhone (non-3G) so I'd be getting a lot of new stuff like GPS, 3G, Compass as well as the other bonuses of video and faster processor (particularly fater rendering of web pages)

Also as I got orig phone as soon as it came out here in UK, my contract is now over - so I think my situation is commonly known as a no-brainer ;)