Will new iPhone be 3D?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Shinto, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    3D screens are the present and an interesting feature for games, I think the next iPhone/iTouch will have the same 3D screen that the 3DS have. What do you people think? Will you like it?

2. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Guaranteed this'll be the next big feature next July.

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I doubt it

4. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I second your doubt.

5. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Why do you guys think not?

6. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    I had not seen 3DS screen in action but there is a lot of improvements in 3D screens, there is even a 3D tactile one. I guess it will be July´s new feature like Sammysin says but if not then 2012 will be the year. After all 3D without glasses will be the next carrot for mobile/camera/tv market

7. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    ya, may be in a couple of years. But right now the tech doesnt seem to be there yet.

8. I can pretty much guarantee that it won't. Two big reasons: First, glasses-free 3D still isn't standardized in how it's done, so unless Apple can invent a better way to do it, they won't; and second, the viewing angles are very narrow, which won't play nice with with tilt-based games. A third reason is that it's gimmicky, at least right now, and not something Apple is going to bother with for all of these reasons. And they won't bother going with a glasses-based solution either. Aside from requiring the user to carry around bulky glasses everywhere, it would require a minimum 120Hz refresh rate, which will kill the battery faster.

At the very most, Apple might go with an OLED variant (Super AMOLED, perhaps), but that's only if the technology has advanced sufficiently to greatly reduce colour fade, and even then only if it either provides a significantly better picture than the IPS panel Apple is using now in the iPhone 4 or is at least the same but cheaper. But even that's incredibly doubtful, especially because at the very outside Apple will likely need whatever technology they're going to be using before it goes to manufacturing in 6-8 months. Since they've already got a very nice screen in their current high-density IPS panel, I don't see an advantage for them anywhere.

The screen will likely stay the same next year.

9. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I second this.

I like the 3DS idea because it doesn't use glasses for the 3D effect. If indeed you will need glasses for any device/TV that is going 3D or anything like that that would require the use of glasses, scratch it off my wish list. And burn it.

10. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I wouldn't really care about the 3D anyway. I'm a fan of the movies and will definitely get the 3DS. But I'm happy leaving some stuff as it is. Just pretty sure it's going to take over soon.

11. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    Yes you are right. I still hope for something like that but the facts you say are very accurate

12. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I don't think 3D is as good as Apple would want it to be before implementing it. It still hurts many people's eyes and vision, so Apple will want to perfect the technology.

13. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, I think it will be a good 3-5 years before Apple implements any 3D screens into the iPhone or iPod Touch. I'm sure other companies will do it much sooner, but Apple will want to get it just right.

14. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    Yes, the new iPhone is 3-dimensional :p

15. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Apple likes keeping things simple. The only new big additions since the start have been mic, camera, and GC for the touch. Plus gyro if you wanna call that big. 3D is a bit much for Apple right now, and I can see 1/1000 devs getting 3d right in their games.

16. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    i for one don't think 3Ds the way to go for apple, since imo 3D doesn't really matter. besides, 3D is known to cause more eye and mind exhaustion. I just want to see simpler additions or improvements.

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Viewing angles for glasses-less 3D screens aren't as much of a problem as some people think. The 3DS doesn't have a great viewing angle, but the Samsung prototype screens being are reportedly getting wider and wider angles all the time, certainly wide enough for looking at an iPhone. It's not as though you use it at odd angles anyway.

Either way, I don't think 3D is at that point yet. Personally I don't think I'd ever want it on an iPhone.

18. For most games that use the accelerometer/gyro you do. Especially if the sensitivity is set low enough that you have to tilt your device at extreme angles to get the game to do anything.

I'm not sure if I'd wanted it on a phone or not. Even theoretically it has its pros and cons, but the tech isn't there yet, not for a few years at least. But even when it gets there and is good enough that there's no distortion viewing 2D or 3D and the viewing angles are much better, there's a singular, unsolvable problem with 3D, glasses-free or otherwise: Devices can know their own orientation, but they can't know where your head it at, and therefore can't alter perspective relative to the position of your eyes. You'd have to keep your head still, calibrate the device, and move only the device during play and have the game simulate perspective shifts as you tilt. It's possible that games in the future could use the front-facing camera with face recognition tech to locate your eyes and alter perspective by calculation the position of your eyes relative to the orientation of the device, but that would drain battery and slow everything down with the calculations necessary to do so.

So I dunno. It's hard to see past the gimmicky nature of 3D on portable devices right now, at least not until it gets solid enough, presentable enough and standardized enough that it would likely see a decent adoption rate among developers and work very well without a bunch of eye strain and image striation.

19. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i say there is no way it will go 3d come next year. battery life is another reason to add to the others mention.

chris.

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah the head recognition for 3D gaming has been done pretty successfully on the DSi already, I can see that being used in iPhone games... the device probably wouldn't even need modifying.