Will Apple ever let us use custom Text Alert sounds?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Scaramoosh, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I mean it's the most basic of features and I'd really love to do it like every other phone.

2. I'd like to be able to customize all sounds -- without jailbreaking. I hope Apple will add that functionality in future versions of iOS, but I suspect it's pretty far down on their list of priorities.

3. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Well the good news is we dont have to wait for Apple to tweak things, so get rooted and go nuts making your phone do everything you want exactly how you want.

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Jesus, that's such a simple feature. Maybe they oughta focus on polishing the customization options before putting editing features a quarter of users will use on the phone.

5. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    what sort of features are those?

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I'm talking about that whole iMovie app that got included on the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G. That should've taken a backseat until the basic functions that everyone uses comes along.

7. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    but Apple will be Apple

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's not included, you have to purchase it - and trust me they didn't work that hard at it either. I own that and ReelDirector, and still use RD exclusively.

9. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    There's nothing left to cram into the iPhone. Maybe it'll be a feature available only in iPhone 5. Then everyone else will get the update after a few months.

10. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    100% agreed.

11. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I thought that very feature was being added in 4.2?

12. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Denied! :(

[​IMG]

13. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    If you want the feature, then just jailbreak it. That's the answer right there. Why are you against it? All these people are like "oh, apple should put in X feature" while that feature has been on Cydia for months. Go out and jailbreak!

14. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    4.2 is for iPad..

15. No. I've seen a number of App Store apps break on jailbroken devices. I don't need that uncertainty. Plus, I refuse to become reliant on apps that require jailbreak because it means I can't update firmware as soon as it comes out, and have to go through a big rigmarole to backup/restore jailbreak stuff when they do finally come out with a jailbreak for new firmware. I got sick and tired of the hassle, so I stopped jailbreaking when the 3GS came out, and I'm just fine with it. If it means I have to do without a few conveniences until Apple adds them (assuming they do) then so be it. It's less hassle than the jailbreak way.

16. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Most of the firmware releases usually aren't even worth upgrading to, and are usually for some minute problem or Apple trying to seal JB loopholes [3.1.3, 4.0.2]

17. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Dude it's being added to the iPhone by the 4.2 iOS upgrade and no the 4.2 upgrade is for all device not just the iPad. The timing might be different for the release but regardless it's being added and I find wootbean lack of faith disturbing.

18. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    but all I said was that iOS 4.2 is for iPad (or so I thought)

19. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Sorry. I assumed you meant it was for iPad only. Sorry dude:eek:

20. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    actually that is what I thought. :p:):eek::(:confused: