Universal Wilderless (by Protopop Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Apr 3, 2020.

1. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Thank you ...I did try lowering some settings. I also made a giant robot friend.
    Is there an end/edge of the world or does it keep generating infinitely?

Protopop likes this.
  2. Protopop

Protopop Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Yes it’s 100% wandering (and flying and swimming) and no enemies or quests.

There’s no caves or tunnels, mostly because I use height maps that don’t allow for things like overhangs.

I think it’s pretty varied but you have to really walk around. Like if you go a few km south you’ll transition into the green lands, oak forests and flowers, green hills etc depending where you go. In the west brow birch trees in most climates, in the north the lakes freeze and you can skate on theme, it’s snowy, pine trees are icy etc so there are difference biomes. Plus a few little surprises as you explore along, boat rides etc.

It automatically saves your positionslightly varied worlds to explore) , and you can save moments you like (places with a nice sunset for example) using options-mods-moments) and take photos any time.

It’s really just a huge open world wilderness there to explore, take photos and relax in.

imdakine1 and psj3809 like this.
  3. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    A GlareStone golem:) they were introduced in Vandgels and are made of Vandgellian GlareStone, a type of rock that absorbs sunlight and emits heat.

There’s ocean on all sides and you can go about 8 km in any direction form the starting point, which is in the Center of the map.

You can change the seed number on the splash screen and this will change the generation and father world slightly, so similar ecosystems but varied landscapes. I put 500seed variants available.

In general the south is green and lush, maybe about 2-3 km south, the middle is boreal forests and the north is icy, snowy, tundra .

4. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thank you for the appreciation. I’m so happy to know you enjoy exploring.

There’s 500 worlds available, but I might lift this in an update. I just chose 500 because sometimes limits kind of make things feel more accessible. Technically I can offer about 60,000 worlds before the math gets funky :)

I have some surprises planned too which I don’t want to mention yet because the engine I use Unity changes a lot and so does macOS and iOS, so as time goes by the engine performance can become less efficient with updates, but if all goes well you’ll see some cool new things soon. Wilderless has been built with several unique features based on procedural generation in mind so I hope I’ll be able to share them soon.

I like checking out the different worlds. Sometime I come across some really great moments, like in world one there is a river valley about 3 or 4 km directly west that I am in love with, for these you can use the moment (OPTIONS MODS MOMENTS) you mention to save this particular spot. Moments also save your world, so if you save a moment let’s say in the north in world 77 then you will automatically transport to that spot in world 77 no matter what world you are in when you activate that moment . I love to figure out a way to let people share moments they like.

imdakine1 and Stronsay like this.
  5. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013

Great news mate about new boats! Please put in some closed cabin boats, such like a little fishing boat... please

Protopop likes this.
  6. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    A closed cabin fishing boat: that fires my imagination and sounds idyllic , it would be great to go out to the middle of the lake in one and fish wouldn’t it? I put it in my list, thanks for the suggestion.

adin and L.Lawliet like this.
  7. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
    It would be awesome!!! Honored you like my suggestion!!!

Protopop likes this.
  8. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    This looks absolutely gorgeous. Just like BrightRidge and Vandgels.

Protopop likes this.
  9. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok, you're the coolest. Thanks for making another amazing game, @Protopop. Looking forward to diving into this one this weekend. Between this and Animal Crossing, I can avoid the weird world we exist in right now. :)

Protopop likes this.
  10. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
    17BE72DE-9806-4A42-9429-0DF8BF98A514.png
    Protopop, something like this would be perfect!

Protopop likes this.
  11. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    OMG.. instant buy and perfect timing as you and others have stated! I love open world games and usually end up wanting to literally just explore... which is usually not the purpose of the game which is fine but this makes it perfect. I’ve also really enjoyed your other games! Thanks my friend! Are you also on reddit?

For photo mode can it save on the iPhone photos or do I need to do a screenshot?

L.Lawliet and Protopop like this.
  12. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    On iPad the photos save direct to album so I imagine the same will happen on iPhone.

I take photos on max resolution as frame rate not important for that. Note that there are many camera settings in the options menu and also in the mods section the field of view can be varied to get a well framed shot.

Here is a favourite spot in world 3.

1CF4A58D-661C-4CF5-84A4-1E82DFD18F2D.jpeg

L.Lawliet and Protopop like this.
  13. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks! yeah, I have to say I really enjoy world design and just exploring. I remember it took me soooooo long to make BrightRidge's terrain. It was maybe months and there wa s not of back and forth between different software. Vandgels terrain on the other hand was made in Unity itself so there was more room to experiment. It took maybe only a month to get it right. Wilderless took a few months for the terrain but its so much larger than the others, and its generated so I cn focus on the ecosystems and the just explore it and be surprised along with the rest of you:)

14. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    I am THIS close to downloading Animal Crossing:) I hear so many good things about it, and I think it has a similar stress-free explore kind of gameplay. Instead I downloaded A Plagues Tale - I was worried about the subject bit it turned out to be ok and incredibly beautiful - so im going to finish that first. I have some surprise updates in the works too for Wilderless so more on that soon.

15. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks for the pic:)

Truncana likes this.
  16. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks for the support:) I am on reddit as Protopop, but I down have any pages or anything like that. This game is exactly for exploring and theres a LOT of land to explore. Especially try going far south or far north,

I put a photo button always in the bottom left (although you can turn it off if you want in option-mods-photomode) so you can take pictures any time. The game will automatically hide all the UI elements so you get a clean pic. I do what @Stronsay does and I usually set up the pic then I change the resolution to full (most devices run at 720p but full res it much higher) and snap a photo.

17. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    I love pics, and thanks for fielding that question.

Can I ask what iPad you have? I only have an iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 2017 to test on. I set the defaults for al other devices using my best guess. Im wondering if I can turn on reflections by default on which devices, because they're disabled by default on earlier ones. (options-mods-water-reflections).

I also find favourite spots. Its like sometimes something about a place just jumps out at me while im running through it.

One thing I need to do is in my last games I included all the photo options inside the dedicated photo mode, whereas here I only included zoom and FOV I think. But that's partly because now with the dedicated photo button, you can really tale pics anytime. I actually never use the official photomode option, instead I take all my pics wth the bottom left button.

I hope you enjoy exploring - btw one of my favourite ecosystems is the very north shore - its like this arctic tundra up there and I feel like im at the top of the world.

18. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    I love it as well! I bought this earlier today and it's really peaceful. The environments are very varied and are fun to explore. I can't believe it's only you who made the game.

And, maybe it's just me, but I feel like the graphics in the screenshots are better than the graphics in the game itself?

Protopop likes this.
  19. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Im so glad you like it:).

For the screenshots they're all taken on my iPad Pro 2017 using the photo button, but I switch to the highest resolution when I take them (OPTIONS-QUALITY-RESOLUTION) so they look great - by default I set the game on that iPad to run at 720p. I haven't tested it on the newer iPads but I'm guessing they can run at higher res than mine, and Ive been thinking about saving up to buy the latest iPad Pro to test. On earlier devices like iPad Air 2 (the earliest device that will run it) I set various quality setting even lower, like reflections and dynamic clouds are off by default and it runs at the lowest resolution.

I put small red warning labels on the options that slow down the game the most, so if you want to play with the quality settings (they all save automatically now) it will give you some idea of what gives you better visuals/frame rate tradeoff. I think I did a pretty good guess about what quality to start off each devices, but you might be able to set some quality settings higher without having too much impact.

20. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    I also just have the iPad Air 2. I’ve not felt it necessary to upgrade to a current device until now! I’d like to experiment with more settings but many are beyond this iPad. Thanks for mentioning the reflection options as I hadn’t noticed them. The ‘planar’ runs fine and creates interesting still water effects. Coming from PC terrain generators which can take ages to render scenes I really like the immediacy of Wilderless. And, yes, I have to keep stopping and taking photos.
    87D8A5E6-8F62-4598-BF0D-F86C2E487B05.jpeg

Protopop likes this.