Wii U Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jacob007, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I wanted him to see the whole thing.

2. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    #162 laxking97, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    Some of it may be bull crap like their engines not running on it, which probably isn't true if they're working on Xbox 360 and PS3, but I don't think we can blame them for not releasing games on a system that nobody is interested in right now. I know that it goes both ways, because if they don't support it now nobody will be interested, but there isn't a point for them to support it right now. I have a feeling that a lot more games will be supported for nintendo console when nintendo shows support for their own console.

3. #163 Haruhi, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    Your long posts made me not want to read it at all actually. Summarize the article, and try not to spent so much time on rumors.

You guys make it seem that to porting a game to a new system only requires a press of a button. That's simply not true. In fact, the Wii U is probably be one of the most difficult systems to port onto because not only do developers have to get the core game running on the Wii U, they also have to figure out some way to implement the game pad's gimmicks. The touch screen on the controller is a curse.

4. laxking97

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    In my opinion, I bought the Wii U so I could play Nintendo games (or exclusives for the system), not for the COD or the Madden or the FIFA. There are a few games that I think could improve from the gamepad, but most just use the gamepad because they feel they need too. I have an Xbox 360 and a Playstation 3. I'm gonna buy a PS4 or the Nextbox (probably only one for a while, though I'm sure I'll eventually get both), so why do I need a crappy Wii U port? Make original games for the Wii U. Utilize the features of the hardware. Make good games. That's why the Wii U isn't succeeding right now, everything is a port of old games that are coming out/already out on systems people already own. If I own an Xbox 360 or PS3 why should I buy a Wii U to play COD or FIFA or Madden or Batman Arkham City if it hardly adds anything significant, other than an inventory on the second screen or off screen play (although I really like the off screen play feature, half the games don't use that, and its not worth an extra 300$)?

5. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    That's why I like the deus ex port and will be getting it when I get a wii u.

Its a rebuilt port that really takes advantage of the gamepad.

6. laxking97

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    But still, you're playing the same game with some commentary and a few new features. I might get it because I've never played it and I have a Wii U. But a lot people don't want to rebuy a game that they've played before. I'm not against ports/remakes, heck I'm excited for the Loz:WW HD, but we also need NEW stuff. I'm just a bit ticked off that I purchased a Wii U, and the only games that are out right now that even remotely interest me is Nintendoland hitch came in the box, and Lego City which is really not that great. It's fun, but great.

7. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    I personally can't wait for Bayonetta 2, shin megami tensei x fire emblem, xenoblade 2 ( or X as it is called) and the new 3d Mario.

Of course I cannot wait for smash bros 4.

One of the rumors going around smash bros 4 is if it does well ( and all smash bros games have done well) Namco might develop an original fighting game series with Nintendo.

Plus apparently Capcom hinted at Nintendo vs Capcom. If that's true that's a day one purchase for me.

8. laxking97

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I tend to ignore rumors ESPECIALLY for Nintendo. I'm a Nintendo fan, don't get me wrong, but some of their fans make rumors about nothing, and take everything said by anyone way to seriously.

9. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    I don't believe right now the rumor of a Namco and Nintendo original fighting game but apparently Capcom themselves hinted at Nintendo vs Capcom ( I do not know where though.

But Those titles I mentioned above are reasons enough for a wii u.

10. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Says the person that doesn't own a Wii U.

11. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    I'm saving up cash to buy one. Those games are the reasons I'm getting one.

12. laxking97

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I'd wait and get it once at least one of those games are out. Buying a system and not playing it for months really sucks

13. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    That is the plan.

14. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
  15. Even if EA refuses to admit it, everyone knows the reason why they don't support the Wii U is because of how low both hardware and software sales are at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if DICE announces that Frostbite 2 engine magically works on the Wii U if sales pick up in the future.

16. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure EA are just fobbing people off with excuses. Crytek already confirmed that their next-gen engine, CryEngine3, not only runs 'beautifully' on the Wii U, but that they even had Crysis 3 running on the Wii U and were close to releasing it until EA pulled the plug.

The whole "Frostbite 3 engine won't support Wii U" is just so bizarre. If they can scale it to run on the PS3/360 (Battlefield 4) which are 7 year old systems, I honestly fail the believe that they can't get it to run on the Wii U. Look at the PS3... every developer knows how notoriously difficult it is to get anything running properly on that systems because of its complicated architecture, and yet they've managed. Why? Because they believed that the hassle in getting it to run efficiently was worth it because of the PS3's install base. They clearly don't feel the Wii U is a good enough financial gamble at this stage because of its low sales, but claiming that the engine doesn't run on it is just ridiculous.

17. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I dunno. They may not necessarily be lying about the Wii U being 'incapable' of running Frostbite 3, because the Wii U has a weaker CPU than the PS3 (which supposedly has a more powerful CPU than what the PS4 is rumored to have), and Xbox 360. Frostbite is very CPU intensive compared to most other game engines. I do think they could get Frostbite 3 to run on the Wii U if it was optimized for it.

18. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    Cry engine 3 is much more cpu intensive and worked great on Wii U according to Crytek themselves.

19. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    Sega and Capcom have both stated after posting their earnings that they are committed to the Wii U and making more games for the system. Sega has 7 games in development for wii u and 6 for 3ds.

Capcom made 20 million on monster hunter 3 ultimate for wii u

and 25% of sonic and all stars racing sales were from wii u and 33% in all from Nintendo systems, not counting eshop sales I believe.

Basically multiple Japanese devs are seeing large profits off their games on the wii u and are committing more to it.