Wii U Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jacob007, Jun 26, 2012.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm getting a copy of MK8 from Best Buy. Shipped, so won't have it on release day I don't think. I'm super excited for it!

2. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    Good deal for those of us buying Mario Kart 8, at Toys'R'Us if you buy MK8 you can get another game for 40% off. Add in the Club Nintendo deal where if you register MK8 you get a free download for NSMB U, Pikmin 3, Wii Party U or Legend of Zelda Wind Waker

3. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    So who's picked up Mario Kart 8 then? I had my first play around with it today and it's fantastic, multiplayer is heaps of fun and the graphics are gorgeous, loads of courses, vehicles and characters too, I would have preferred some of the other retro courses from previous games rather than some of the ones on offer here but I suppose if they've already been done in previous titles then what's on offer makes sense, most of the new courses are excellent too, overall it's a fantastic package and the bonus free game you can pick up by registering Mario Kart with Club Nintendo is the icing on the cake.

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    We've been playing non stop since Friday, it's great fun. I wasn't aware of the free game when registering the game so I'll make sure I do that tomorrow.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I foolishly chose to be lazy and have my copy of MK8 shipped from Best Buy and it is apparently on a slow boat from California. Not scheduled to arrive until this coming Saturday. :(

However I already cashed in the $10 "Gas Cash". It's not really fuel-specific. It's a Mastercard debit card. You can spend it on anything. I used it to add $10 to our Starbucks card. LOL. Anyway, that plus a free game (I'm going to go with Pikmin 3) makes this is an awesome deal, and I know I'm going to love MK8 once it gets here....

6. Rasterico

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I didn't know about the free game either till my friend told me, there's a choice of 10 on offer but I already had most of them as a lot are older titles but still free is free! I think the best of the bunch on offer were Pikmin and Zelda Windwaker but as I said I already had them so went with Wonderful 101 as I've not played it.

7. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Pikmin and zelda are the two I'm stuck between, just gotta persuade my daughter as it's her console and her game, I have an awful feeling she's gonna pick the wii party one lol.

8. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    I got MK8 and just choose ZELDA as my free game. Pretty awesome promo! Can't wait to get stuck into both. :)

Long live the wii U

9. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    We ended up going with the zelda game, my daughter had a good few hours with it yesterday and she loves it, it looked fun and can't wait to try it myself. Thank god she didn't go with wii party. I've never tried a zelda game before and probably wouldn't purchase for myself so thanks for mentioning the promotion here or I'd have missed it.

10. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    You've never tried a Zelda game befoer?!? Steal that gamepad away from your daughter right now and get playing!! Lol

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    MK8 is definitely a ton of fun (except for battle mode - I hope they add in arenas), but also shows the weaknesses of Nintendo. Voice chat only in the lobby? And only in a friend lobby? Oh, Nintendo. So archaic/dumb. I guess my friends and I will use Skype to work around this, but that is just annoying. Also I don't think there's any way to invite your friends to a non-friend-lobby game. So you're limited to playing in a friend lobby when playing with friends. Not likely to get those 12 player matches.

12. Zerodactyl

Zerodactyl Well-Known Member

You can actually play with your friends online as long as you have them as a friend on the friend list. You go onto online, then click on friends/rivals, and click on the person that you want to play against and join them (you can also join people that you've played against online before too). There are also tournaments that you can play on with your friends (they can be private or open to everyone).

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Oh! That is better than I thought. Thanks for the tip! I thought it only showed private lobbies. I will try that next time. But do you also get to at least chat in the lobby, or is that gone when using this method?

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
  15. Rasterico

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    You're welcome, as mentioned by another poster you really owe it to yourself to try Zelda out, it's probably my favourite ever series of games.

16. Zerodactyl

I haven't tried that out yet but I don't think it's possible. I will try and see whether you can or not, though.

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I played some online with randoms last night and you couldn't use voice chat. However none of my friends were in the lobby, so I don't know if that option appears if you have friends there or not.

18. Zerodactyl

It is true that you can't use voice chat online but I'm not sure if you can with friends. Hopefully you can but I doubt that you will be able to.

19. Zerodactyl

#479 Zerodactyl, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    Hey everyone!
    I have made a Mario Kart 8 tournament for all you racers to join!
    Name of Tournament: Official Dactyls
    Code for Tournament: 1851-5883-3167
    If you join, please tell me as then I will join at the same time to race you!
    Hope to see you there!

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I am not sure how those work, but I will check for it tonight. I'm in the US, eastern time zone. And I'd probably try it around 10 PM.