Wifi Finder App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Mr. Charley, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I was wondering if anyone has any comments and/or feedback regarding wifi finding apps for the Touch?
    Currently, I'm debating about purchasing WiFinder, but the reviews were pretty negative but they seem to have been made before the app was updated.

I'm looking for an app that shows wifi availability that I could actually connect to, rather that the wifi display on the Touch where most of the open sources are actually not useable even though it says it is.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    No one has any feedback on this app?
    What about Wififofum in comparison...any comments at all?

3. dwsolberg

dwsolberg Active Member

Jul 28, 2008
    WiFinder

I think WiFinder is pretty good. The top section is open networks and the bottom section is password secured networks. For the open networks, it goes through one by one and tries to open a webpage. If it's successful, it tells you by putting a green circle to the left. If it gets a secure login page, then it puts a red circle to the left. You have to wait for it to try to login to each location. It's prone to error in terms of truly open networks (for example, it thinks all ATT networks are open), but at least it tries.

Other things to consider:
    * It gives the strength of each network, so you can judge if the network is actually going to give you a signal.

* It gives you the channel of each network, which is useful for setting up a home wireless network that doesn't conflict with others.

* I'm not sure how well it automatically connects to networks. I tried it once and it didn't work. That's not how I use it, so I might have just missed something.

4. mjjw

mjjw Member

Sep 20, 2008
    UK
    if you run it on the iPhone does it remember your location when it found the network? if not are there any apps which will do something similar and record your location when they find hotspots?

5. dwsolberg

dwsolberg Active Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Location remember

WiFinder does not do this. I don't know what the other applications can do, though.

6. GregA

GregA New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    I bought wifinder. Works great.

The new version is much better than the original - I only bought the original because I knew the new one was coming.

7. markz68

markz68 New Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am looking for an alternative to WiFinder. It no longer seems to work for me.

Any other apps out there search for WiFi signals and help get on?

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I got WiFiTrak when it went on sale for free. Really good, IMHO.

9. zachattacksox

zachattacksox Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Wifitrak is amazing. I pick up 5 times more wifi signals than the defult one.