iPad Why the Katamari hate?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by writingsama, Dec 18, 2008.

1. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #1 writingsama, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
    I loved it. What's wrong with it?

1g iPod touch here...

Gameplay early in game

See also Front page forums here and here.

2. matt

matt Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Blogger/Student/Public Relations
    Collins,GA
    The general feeling amongst gamers/reviewers is that the controls are too awkward and difficult to enjoy, like Super Monkey Ball, and the frame rate is less then perfect when you get farther into the game.

An update could fix these issues and make the game a good experience, but until then its a novelty.

3. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    People weren't happy with the major framerate issues that make the game just about unplayable. :(

The problems should be fixed though. I can't see the developer just completely forgetting about it. The game looks awesome other than that.

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Too slow to play it, beginning with the first "blur"-effect, wich isn't an effect because you nearly see still shots instead of an animation. After an update, this game will be fantastic. But now...a great demo for the first 2 minutes.

5. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I have a 1g ipod touch...the slowest one.

Katamari runs perfect for me...but I don't reboot. it's slow during "enlarging" but other than that its perfect. how can it be slow on faster devices?

controls? tap the katamari to calibrate (center) the accelerometer. they don't make this clear but it makes things 100x easier. it naturally gets harder to control as it gets bigger!

6. Finchypoo

Finchypoo Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    I admit that Katamari is in many cases a sluggish awkward game to play. I Love the PS2 version and played it a ton, but the iphone version feels too sluggish. I don't mind the controls at all, they aren't as nice as dual analog sticks, but they make sense for the game. Its entirely the framerate. It just feels like the game runs way too slow. Someone even mentioned somewhere that they times it and it actually takes 8 min to finish a 6min level, that's bad. Id really like to enjoy it on the iphone, but I just cant.

I haven't tried rebooting first and switching to airplane mode or anything, but I should't have to every time I want to run a game at full speed.

7. Eng

Eng Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    It's pretty much perfect, the controls are great, they're faithful to the difficult controls from previous versions, and the only issues I get are the sort of slow motionness of the game, and when the katanari enlarges.

8. There's an article on the main blog now, regarding performance improvements in an upcoming update.

9. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Update can't come fast enough.

I really HURTS to see a game this polished and well deserving of a purchase hindered by a few, but destructive issues...

I want to play this game SO bad.

10. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Same here. I was excited to see it come to the app store, but I haven't bought it because of all the complaints. If they really do fix it, it could be great on the iPhone. It seems very well suited.

11. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    IMO, the game needs:

-Faster framerate;
    -Faster pace (it's pretty slow when compared to previous titles);
    -Better graphics (c'mon... We've seen that this platform can do a LOT better).

If an update fixes all that, it'll be a great game.
    Until then, no thanks.

12. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yeah, it really shouldn't take around 11 real-world minutes to play 5 in-game minutes.

Plus, one of the endearing things about the console versions was the massive number of objects to roll up; you didn't need to get every item possible to advance. In this game, most of the time is spent trying to find one or two objects to pick up rather than exploring the level. I understand graphical limitations, but to me the levels seem kind of empty, especially the last one.