Why isn't there any video recorder app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by along123, Dec 12, 2008.

1. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if there's already a thread about video recording software for the iphone. But, I can't find it. Maybe, it's bury deep. But, I'm wondering why there's currently no video recording app for the iphone?

Is it banned by Apple or something?

Maybe, a video recorder for the iphone that you can take quick video and upload it immediately to YouTube or something. I know there's a video recorder software for the jailbreak but what about the rest of us not interested in jailbreaking our iphone?

Any dev can explain or can create this kind of app?
    :confused:

2. ratGT

ratGT New Member

Dec 12, 2008
    There is a plethora of VOICE recording apps, but NO whatsoever VIDEO-recording ones. Fortunately/ unfortunately, the only choice for the moment is 'jailbreaking' and installation of 'third-party' video-recording software.
    On the other hand, while jailbreaking enables a whole new sweetness to your iPhone, it also compromises in many cases the stability of your beloved device...

The choice is yours - Handle your iPhone with care! ;)

3. along123

Yeah, thanks. I was thinking about jailbreaking but afraid of bricking my iphone. Maybe, since, my country can already buy apps/games via itunes unlike my ipod. But, there's one freaking software, I'm wondering is of course video recording on the iphone. I would like to take videos and maybe upload it to my iphone without jailbreaking of course. Just curious until now, why isn't there any?

Funny, ain't it?

4. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Apple has not provided a way for developers to utilise the camera except in a very specific way. Developers have to work within Apple's 'allowed' frameworks and api's etc.

This is why we have no apps which can control the screen brightness, add flash to safari, add up coming calendar events to the lock screen, etc. This is why Tap Tap can't use music from the iPod. This is why Apps can't run in the background.

Apple isn't really being mean, they're doing it for a reason, to keep the phone as stable/secure/long battery life as possible.

They will eventually open more things up, such as camera access, I would imagine.

Currently, iPhone apps are 'sandboxed' this means each one exists in it's own little box and can't talk to the outside world for the most part. This is why each app that has WiFi sharing does it in it's own way, why many apps sync to the developers server instead. But it does mean that the chances of a malicious app are extremely slim.

Jailbreaking your phone makes the OS parts write able to anything, and allows devs to make safari add ons (save files for example) but it's quite a tricky thing to do and really not worth it except for the hardcore geeks.

I've done it, played with Cycorder (vid camera app) and other things, and to be honest what is in the App Store is the best stuff, for the most part. A lot of jailbroken apps decide they want to stay open in the background and make the phone really slugish, far more crash happy, and these apps are now largely full of adverts of the devs are asking for payments via paypal to unlock things; in other words they're getting jealous of the money perceived to being made in the AppStore.

Ahh crap, i've just skewed off on a tangent, sorry...

:)

Don't bother jailbreaking your phone. Really, really not worth the hassle.

5. along123

Ha ha. Don't worry. I don't think I want to jailbreak my 'beloved' iphone any time soon. I love it too much to take the risk!

I just hope, something will happen that maybe we will finally get the simple video recorder. Maybe, not now but in future gen iphone. For now, I'll just have to make do with my other 'normal' phone. ;)

6. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    That was a helpful read.
    Thank You.
    I wanted to JB my iphone before for mms/video recording capabilities.
    But never pulled the trigger.

7. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    What risk? You click a single button and it's done. You don't even lose any of your apps or settings.

As for video, once you jailbreak download Qik or Flixwagon for live streaming video.

8. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I JB a 1st gen touch the other day and it was pretty painless. it seems to be working great so far. Still don't know about doing my (1st gen)iphone though.
    can anybody else comment on system stability after jailbreaking?

9. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I seriously hate on everyone on this damn forum thinks jailbreaking is the hardest thing to do and can seriously mess up your iDevice.....when in reality, it is the simplest procedure, a five year old could do it. You click on a couple buttons, hold a couple buttons on your iDevice, and it does the rest. Also, with the newest 2.2 update, nothing slows the iPhone down at all, I have yet to experience a "crash" of any kind at all. Don't download Kate or Installer, and you should be fine, and it's all user discretion as to what you download anyway. Jailbreak, you won't regret it.

10. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    yea it's pretty simple, but phones are a necessity so some people are more cautious about tinkering with them. especially if it's their only phone like me.
    that's why I'm testing the waters with a touch at the moment.

thank you for your input though.

11. along123

Well, for my ipod i jailbreak (if you can call it that) it just for the games. As, in my country I can't buy games and music for it. But, I'm stuck with the old firmwares. I think, I can update the firmwares somewhere and download the latest games but I'm too lazy. Anyway, I already got my iphone and can buy (only) games. I only use my ipod for podcast, music videos and of course music.

I don't want to mess around with my precious 3G iPhone. At least, till, I got the 3rd gen iphone maybe ha ha. I like to play around and maybe jailbreak just to see what's it like. Sometime, I'm given an old ipod and tried installing ipod linux or whatever just to play around. Yeah, maybe it's fun to jailbreak but to my precious 3G iphone? No way, for now!

;)

12. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I had tried Jailbreaking in the pre-firmware 2.0 days before the App Store was available.
    It really helped to open the horizons on what the iPhone's potential could be. The basic usage of the phone was good but the experimental apps from JB'ing and the Installer.app were great. However, since they were experimental the apps were very buggy and crashed alot. It was really frustrating. It did get slightly better over time, but just before 2.0 was released, we started getting some really good apps turning commercial requesting "donations" that was mandatory to release more features. "Kate" which was a very good data management app that placed info on the locked screen wallpaper, and Labyrinth spring to mind.
    At that point, I realised that if the good apps were going to be commercial, then they might as well go official on the App Store. For sure, there are some apps and developers who absolutely refuse to be reined in by Apple's restrictions, but I would prefer that they play fair and try to follow guidelines in order to preserve as much stability as possible. It has been alot better, although I would refrain from saying its perfect.
    I do miss the nicer apps from Jailbreaking, such as the video recorder Cycorder, but the actual number of must-haves from doing that is not as much as before, since the App Store. I do believe that official developers are more responsive due to receiving actual payments and praise/feedback, and are thus more willing to do better for the customers than those developing for JB'd iPhones only. Of course, this is a blanket generalisation with exceptions, but I do believe in the App Store over JB.

13. along123

ha ha. It's kind of funny that i was asking about a video recorder software and now we're talking about jb. I thought there was already a thread about jb. To jb or not to jb. That's the question for the individual isn't it?

Anyway, isn't there any dev right now working on a video recorder app right now or ever?

Is it really that hard?

I think if cycorder is that good then why not they sell it on the App store and get legit?

I think it will totally sell. I'm not sure why Apple won't offer it in the first place. Every phone out there have a camera phone. Why not iPhone?

Makes one wonder..

:confused:

14. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    that would be awsome if apple would alow that -.-

15. Kursndax

Kursndax Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    if you goto Qik.com you can record video and it streams live to the website and saves it in real time

16. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

All of the vid recording I've seen from the iPhone are very poor quality. Distorted images and poor framerate. Doesn't seem very useful to me. Your mileage may vary.

(my 1st post here) :)

17. case

case Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Interaction Designer
    Michigan
    there are at least 4 apps that record video for iphone. jb ur phone if you want this functionality as it will NOT appear in appstore anytime soon.

~15fps, better quality than most comparable phones, etc. the streaming function of some of the apps works pretty decent on 3g.

I had these loaded up but removed them because I'm not a lifecaster douchebag and have no need to stream vid really

*edit*

apple won't allow this because they plan on offering this functionality in the distant future. that's the plan., trickle out additional functionality with new device and os releases over the next few years to maximize profit. they patented intelliscreen layout, but you won't see that until 2009 Q4 I'm sure. apple is a bitch what can i say. why do you think Woz wants nothing to do with this and is all for jailbreaking.

18. QWK SVT

QWK SVT Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Yes, it's not a great camera, but it does get the job done. It seems comparable to other phone videos that I have seen, but I bet an Apple solution could do it better... Until then, Cycorder will do. BTW, it seems a steady hand is more important than a still subject.

19. along123

Actually, I was thinking that maybe it's because of that they exclude the video capability of the iPhone. I don't know, maybe Steve Job had a look at the videos and like what de heck?

Ha ha. I'm sure, everyone is like bugging him about why they didn't include the video capability in the first place?

Maybe, it's all technical. Maybe, it's all business. Who knows. :confused:

With the iPhone nice screen to watch videos, why the hell not right?

The iPhone even have a large memory to store your videos and pics. So, like, why Steve, Why!?

Every firmware updates people wish for some things that Apple left out on the iPhone. For me, I'm still waiting for the video capability, cut n paste (email forwarding) and mms. I had to carry 2 phone to use some of the features you get from a 'normal' phone. I think, I will have to still much longer. I'm looking for a new second phone by the way. Still waiting for bargain from my telco. :D

Anyone, else use 2 phone because of this?

:)

20. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    Anyone here who says jailbreaking is hard needs to try it before they start their bitching. It's so easy a caveman could do it.