Why is the minimum app store price 99c/59p?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ian1969uk, Jun 18, 2009.

1. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Does anyone know?

This wasn't a problem when it was games being downloaded, but I can see it being an issue if every single in-app purchase has to cost at least 99c/59p.

Is there any reasoning behind this figure?

2. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Simplicity.

Can in-app downloads not be free?

3. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I don't think they would have gone to the bother of introducing micro transactions in 3.0 if they were about to make them free!

4. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    I think he means to make them like $.50 or $.25.

5. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Mainly because any lower and the credit card handling charges would make the transactions unprofitable. As it is, Apple doesn't make much at all from the App Store.

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Anything less than 99c is pointless. Neither Apple nor the devs would profit, and honestly, not even arcade games at movie theaters are less than a dollar.

7. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Do you mean with the entire app store? While it's true that they get 30% of all purchases and that might mean little, take all of the priced apps combined with 30% and you would have a small fortune right there.

8. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

on the 11th day God said "all apps must be sold at a mininum of 99 cents, with 1 dollar increments, unless free" and so it was to be that all apps start at 99 cents.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Most or all of which goes to infrastructure and support costs. There's a reason why developers usually get more like 30% in setups like this (for example, online game portals), not 70%. If Apple wanted to be making a reasonable profit on the App Store, they'd reverse the percentages they currently have. Instead, they use it as an incentive to get people to buy the hardware, which is where they make the profit.

--Eric

10. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Apple is known to be pretty stringent about how they price their products (think iTunes and the whole NBC issue). So I think 99 cents just makes it easier for them to calculate their expected profit (lower bounds etc?).

Any statisticians here? I could be wrong lol :p

11. gunghir

gunghir Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    lol apple does it for free so they sell more iphones

SUURE :D:D:D:D

12. gunghir

gunghir Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    hey isn't that steve on an unicorn overthere ?? :eek:

13. Eric5h5

It's correct. This isn't something I made up; you can find many explanations and analyses of this elsewhere. (Also, they don't do it "for free"; they make enough to cover costs.) The same way they make hardly any money off music; they only have the iTunes store to sell iPods. Apple themselves say this.

--Eric

14. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Seriously?
    I find this quite hard to believe. While there are substantial costs involved creating and maintaining the App Store I'm pretty sure Apple is making a profit from it by now. Initially the story might have been different, but the volume sales should most definitely guarantee a nice surplus on the bottom line by now.

15. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

The other interesting thing to consider is the ridiculous cost of the infrastructure: servers, bandwidth, card transactions, marketing, maintenance and the like that is required for the iTunes store. I mean the bandwidth required is just plain staggering - think about the shear volume of customers downloading music, movies and apps! :eek:

Besides, with DLC, you will most likely get a few items for your $1, Gameloft said Asphalt 5 will have a 1 new car and 3 tracks...That sounds like quite good value to me. :)

16. Eric5h5

Yes. :) Here's an article: "Steve Jobs said when he opened the App Store that it was designed to merely break even — and he probably meant it. The apps, which can increase the utility of a mobile device exponentially, are there to bring in users. The profit for Apple — as usual — is in the high-margin hardware." This estimates that Apple hasn't made any more than $20-$45 million from the App Store, which on the low end would barely cover estimated costs. Another article, another...doing a search finds quite a few along these lines. I read another article more recently (can't find it at the moment) that had a more detailed break-down of estimated costs, which was pretty convincing in having Apple only breaking even, or possibly even operating the store at a small loss.

--Eric

17. Trotgar

Trotgar Well-Known Member

May 9, 2009
    In-app purchases are a good thing if they have enough content, because with them, devs don't have to make new games all the time, they rather improve the old. I'd rather have one good, deep game than ten shallow, unfinished games.

18. iReview

iReview Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Simply put, it covers and maintains their App Store. Apple is a hardware company.

19. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

Yes they can be free, they just don't use the new feature in 3.0 and fetch the content from the devs own site instead, same way TTR put new tracks up every week for example.