Why ios games are released on wednesday?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Voley, May 22, 2014.

1. Voley

Voley Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    So each wednesday I see a post on TA that says - look, another 10 decent games release today. Why is this happening? Can't they release on another day?

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think thats the day when Apple refresh their apps of the week ? Its something to do with Apple and the charts, eg new and noteworthy or something as thats why they all release weds at midnight.

3. Nakor

Nakor Active Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Technically it's Thursday, but yes it is due to Apple's general release behaviour.

4. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    This makes sense. So does this mean that if you release on a Thursday you'd be put into the New and Noteworthy lists that same day? I have never really timed a launch before, just put the game out and found that it was usually featured a week or so later.

5. Nakor

Nakor Active Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Yeah I forget how it works. I tried to time it and it didn't really work out for me at all. My game pretty much got no recognition at all lol. It got a great review from one person I respect quite a bit (Ray Wenderlich), but that's about it. Oh well, most of us go through these experiences.

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    It's simply Apple's release window. Who knows why it's Wednesday/Thursday, really.

From what I've learned through experience and developers on here, it's rare to get an Apple feature unless your game is released within that window. Apple has even been known to ask developers of high-profile games to delay the releases so that they are guaranteed a feature.
    Though that doesn't mean that need a large profile game to be "noticed", it's as it always has been - luck.

7. Nakor

Nakor Active Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Yeah it's mostly luck. Honestly it is a completely lazy system by a company that is making an insane amount of money all the time (Apple). It's something that really shouldn't be mostly random. I vote for TA if anyone is ever allowed to moderate it lol.

8. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    You guys think the game sections are bad? most of my apps are in the sports section of the store and they have had the same 10-12 apps featured as "new and noteworthly" for the last 2 years haha. Not one has been released in the year 2014 that is on there and there are even some from like 2010.

9. Nakor

Nakor Active Member

Apr 16, 2013
    That's disgusting. I've never even looked at the sports section before but still, that is obviously broken.

10. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    There's a sports section?

11. SamarLW

SamarLW New Member

May 28, 2014
    The reason older games or apps are sometimes still in the Hot New Games list is because updates are also sometimes considered as new. And I think this is a good thing. If you update your game with a ton of new content it's nice to know it may be put in the spotlight again.

I'm not sure but I think this doesn't work if you do an update with a couple of bug fixes.

12. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    How do you know if it will or won't? How is this choice made? Is just if you have new content?

I agree it would be a good thing.

13. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Games release on a Thursday because it is the day before the App Store featuring ticks over, and also is a lead in to the weekend which has the highest consumer activity.

Releasing on that day therefore theoretically lines you up for higher chances of featuring and consumer visibility in general.

However, given how many games now come out in general, I'd put the continued practice more down to habit given the actual value is likely diminished through greater competition.

14. seb_go

seb_go New Member

May 30, 2014
    That's new info for me. So Thursday at 12:00:01 is the time to release. Is that California time?

15. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    On initial release, a game set to release on a Thursday will roll out at Thursday 00:01 by territory timezone, starting in NZ, and ending with the US east coast. So by the time it hits "midnight Wednesday" in New York, the game will then be available everywhere.

16. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    An interesting phenomena: I've spent at least 500 dollars on music production/synth apps, and nearly every notable release in the "music" (not discovery-creation) category is released on a Monday.

Just think it's interesting.

17. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #17 Rubicon, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    We always release on a Tuesday to try and get a day of air time without being swamped.

It's probably less likely to get us featured, but there's a snowball in hell's chance of that anyway with so much quality competition. Better to take the bird in the hand imo.

(But if Apple are reading, the two in the bush option also works!) :)

18. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Some years ago, I read about the significance of TV and commercial spots how the days of the week are related. My recollection is a bit spotty, but here goes nothing...

In the TV and movie world, Thursday is the hottest day of the week because it is a blockbuster movie's release date. Given that studios want to flood the airwaves with adverts to pack'em in, this is also the day networks receive the most revenue. It is also the reason why most of a network's highest rated shows air on this day. My guess is that Apple chose this release date for these reasons.