Why Flash won't come to iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dannys95, Oct 28, 2008.

1. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah my school's wifi page is what I really need it for... Especially since I like to use it while walking and I have to stop to type

BTW, there was a recent article about flash... It said that it's all up to Apple now.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007842.html

Personally, I say bring it, but give me the option of turning it off... I don't want to see flash ads and I REALLY don't want these unwanted flash ads sucking down my battery

2. Jesse Arcadia

Jesse Arcadia Active Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Running for the gold--not working so I can build m
    Los Angeles
    There is no research to do. All that exists is people claiming "reliable sources," and Adobe themselves saying "we're developing it." Adobe developing it is *not* the same as Apple allowing it.

Adobe has thumbed their nose at Apple for decades, in ways big and small, including letting Flash for Mac languish horribly behind the PC version. There is no love lost.

And did I mention licensing fees? Flash is a proprietary standard that requires you to pay to include it in your programs. Apple has no interest in this. Adobe needs the iPhone--the iPhone does not need Adobe.

3. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    alright, however, if Flash won't make it, apple can certainly make something else to replace flash for iphone. maybe? everyone will start yelling at me about this, because I probably made some obvious mistake in claiming this

4. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    LOL I'm guessing it's not that easy

Like I said, it'd be a cool option, but I personally would not be using it much, if at all.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Absolutely! I don't understand why they haven't brought the Mac OS X "keychain" to it. It could sync with your Mac's keychain and it already exists for OS X. Not sure what they'd do for that with Windows, with regard to syncing, but maybe they don't have to as it would still be great on the iPod/iPhone alone.

6. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Well they have 1password... But I think that only works with their mini browser

I'm just looking for something that automatically puts your username and password in there

7. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    It has. Cocoa Touch and H.264.

The former solves the games problem, the latter the video problem.

Even if Flash was ported to iPhone, how many games do you think would translate at all, let alone well? Bear in mind iPhone has a 3.5" screen whereas most desktops have a monitor of at least 15". Bear in mind iPhone does not use a mouse or keyboard, just your fingers. How many Flash objects have been written with your fingers in mind? Gestures? Can you pinch with a mouse? Once the on screen keyboard on iPhone comes up, you have roughly 50% screen real estate for the rest of the game...

Assuming these were even playable, Flash is a notorious CPU hog on Mac OS X, on which iPhone is based. Not to mention licence costs.

So the problem with it is playing old content - Apple wants new content to be written in Objective C, not ActionScript. ;)