Why Flash won't come to iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dannys95, Oct 28, 2008.

1. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I read that Flash for iPhone was already made, they just needed faster speed. But that they needed the approval from Apple. If you think about, you realize Flash won't come to the iPhone. Why?

Profits - Apple makes 30% of all app purchases from App Store. The internet flash version of games are free no profit for Apple. Even is the actual version of an app is not online there's a similar version.

Safari - For some reason I don't think Flash and Safari will go well together.

Controls - You would have to have a keyboard and I guess tilt the iPhone for controls. It would be kinda bad.

Don't mean to be negative and I would love Flash for iPhone but it dosen't look good.

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    nobody wants flash mainly to play games. Do you know how many sites are done using flash? a lot. Also then vids could be watched other than youtube ones.

3. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    i know. still, steve dosen't like flash and he'll use the games reason.

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #4 NotYou, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
    There are already tons of free games as web apps available.

I actually read something about this a while back. They did make flash for iPhone, but Apple turned it down, saying that it required too much power and killed the battery in an unreasonable amount of time. I guess the batteries died so fast that the phone wouldn't even be practical to use.

I see no reason why they wouldn't allow it. Apple has been pretty generous with working with competition. They even let you run windows on Mac now. I think if they make a better version of flash, it'll be on the phone. They have nothing to lose as long as it works right.

5. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    LOL. They let windows run on mac after vista when macs started to sell. But anyway guess we have to wait. It would be awesome if they teamed up with firefox to release a seperate browser other then safari with flash included. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

6. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Do you not like Safari? It works great for me, and flash would just be the cherry on top

7. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I like safari. But there's something I can't tell that I don't like. The theme maybe. Other than that it's ok.

8. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Yeah. I wish Apple would release different themes for the browser and for the home screen. Really makes me want to jailbreak

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Don' tell me you prefer the ugly Firefox UI.
    Well, at least to me they look ugly and not as intuitive, clean and neat as Safari.

They might remake a prettier version for the iPhone, but I doubt that after seeing no improvements since their early incarnations.

Anyway, Firefox on iPhone is even more impossible than flash :p

10. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I only us my iPod as a casual surfing tool and I don't use many sites that have flash... my iPod is pretty much a supplement to my computer... Something to have for walking around campus mostly seeing as I'd rather not being my laptop just for surfing the net in the halls

I'd rather see a password remembering mechanism right now than flash.

11. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I would like Firefox, but honestly, I might not keep it since Apple doesn't let you delete their apps and I'm not fond of their apps cluttering my screens

12. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

I don't really miss Flash in webpages. What I'd love to see is a plugin in the next firmware, that'll activate a Flash video player, to work just how the YouTube or Quicktime Safari links work.

13. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    you can make it look better with themes

14. What is iphone 400Mhz or something like that. It can't handle flash games. Flash games are way too CPU intensive. My imac is 2.66Ghz Intel Core Duo and see it hit 96% in tower defense game it's insane. Many FPS shooters play smoother than some of the flash games I encounter. screenshot of 96% CPU usage

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I'm not sure where you got that info from but here is what is going on.

The reason flash is not on the iphone right now is because Flash eats up to much power. Adobe has a version of Flash for mobile phones but it is handicapped at best. The iphone isn't an ordinary cellphone, it's basically an underpowered netbook. So the Desktop version of Flash would need to be optimized for it.

Now The story says that Adobe has Flash running on the iphone which is true. But Apple doesn't allow apps to plugin to Safari. So Adobe made their own browser that runs Flash. The problem with that is that Apple refuses to let apps on the iphone if they duplicate what the iphone already does. If Apple lets this browser into the app store then they will be taking away from all the usage that Mobile Safari gets.

16. Cousin Dirk

Cousin Dirk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    This. I have a few pages I visit with my iPhone (such as my work's WiFi login page) that doesn't have the cookies the iPhone currently needs to remember the password. I'd really like to see something like what the 'big' Safari does now, where you can selectively pick which passwords you'd like it to remember.

17. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    #17 SLDROFHLA, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
    I read somewhere(can't remember now, maybe tech magazine)a week ago, that Flash had this big meeting/conference thing and said they were working with apple to make Flash for iPhone. It was almost done I think, but there were still some more things to finalize I think

Edit: Woohoo! Flash is coming to iPhone! google flash for iphone and you will get reliable sources, plus adobe said it themselves on their website. They do not have a date, have to work things out with steve, however, it may be the next iphone model, and a software update for older models.

18. Jesse Arcadia

Jesse Arcadia Active Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Running for the gold--not working so I can build m
    Los Angeles
    Flash will never come to the iPhone because Apple is trying to push open standards. Flash is a proprietary standard that would require Apple to pay a licensing fee for every iPhone sold. Apple would dearly love to see Flash die a painful death. With the stunning popularity of the iPhone, Apple hopes to lock Flash out of the mobile space. Make no mistake, this is not an oversight: there is active enmity.

19. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    You obviously did not do the research. Flash is coming to the iPhone, and I am sure adobe thought of that before they invested time and money into developing that. they probably already talked to Apple about this.

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I think you didn't do much research yourself...

I searched "flash for iphone" in google like you said and all the articles I saw were from early this year.

The most recent one is from FOTB (the beginning of this month) when Adobe said that they had Flash working. BUT they also said that older hardware may not be able to run it.

If Apple puts Flash compatibility on the 3g and not the edge iphone they are going to have a LOT of pissed of customers. They would be smart to wait until the next full revision