iPad Why don't more people have Galcon?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Herp, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Honestly, I think it's the best game in the app store right now.

The online multiplayer is amazing, doesn't even lag.

Yet the game hasn't even made it to the top 100? It would be so much better if more people had it (More online players).

I'm going to email the dev and ask him to try and get more attention.

Anyway, why do you guys think it's not in the top downloads? Do you think it's boring/not worth the money/just unrecognized? Isn't it like the first iPhone game to have internet-wide multiplayer?

I'm going to be spending some time as an advertisement-machine around my friends now. : D

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    The reason is because Galcon lite is just fine for most people. Galcon needs to drop the price to $2, because that's the price tag most people start buying games at, without much of a thought. I honestly liked Galcon lite, and I really want the full version, but $5 is way too much. Maybe it had a lot better graphics and more content, then it'd be worth it for $5.

If the dev drops it to $2, I'm gonna guess he'd be making a lot more money than he ever would have at $5.

3. Finchypoo

Finchypoo Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    seriously. Galcon is an amazing game, so simple yet fun.

As for the lite version, if your happy with it your weird, Online multiplayer is where its at with Galcon, the AI can never provide the fun of real opponents.

4. larsef

larsef Active Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Sweden
    This was a game I thought about buying, but found the price too high at first. It was $10 at the time. Some time later, the developer released the Lite version for free. I tried it and I like it. You actually get quite much with the Lite version and I think I haven't really understood what I get if I do buy the full version, except multiplayer mode.

However, it does sound fun to play against others (now that you mention it). I will probably try it out tonight. Now it's just $5, which is a steal for a game like this.

5. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    I suppose so... But how could you be content with the lite version? The online-multiplayer is what brings the real entertainment.

Perhaps they should lower the price to attract more buyers. Something to consider.

I agree.

6. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    #6 istopmotion, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
    I think the price is just too high for a game this basic... It's just a bunch of circles with triangles that shoot towards them. I highly doubt it's worth $5 even with online play. That's a nice feature, but why would you want it when you can have the lite version that includes everything except multiplayer for free???

I don't really care about multiplayer mode. I have other games that were cheaper than this like Ace Tennis, Raging Thunder, etc. with online play and they're more polished and have more content.

[Edit] I have a perfect example of a game that is polished, offers more content and will have multiplayer mode (it was included in the beta but it didn't make it to the final version of the game on the app store). It's Warfare Incorporated. It has better graphics than Galcon, more features and its a lot bigger and more intense game. They both cost $5 but you get a lot more out of it with a game like Warfare Incorporated than you do with Galcon.

I'd love to buy Galcon. But, the price is just too high for what it's worth, in my opinion.

7. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    #7 Herp, Dec 4, 2008
    Yes, I found 5 dollars to be really cheap for the content. Anyway, besides what you get in the lite version, you also get:

Stealth: You can't see the opponent's ships.

Vacuum: Capture all the planets in a time limit.

Beast: The opponent controls all the planets except for the two default planets you control.

3-Way: A match between three opponents.

Net Game: Online Multiplayer for 2-4 players.

Read the above. The lite only comes with the classic version, and the triangles are "ships" and the circles are planets. The online multiplayer is extremely fun.

It may be simple, but with the randomization of the planets, and a lot of different ways to play, it really is worth it.

EDIT: Galcon is extremely polished... Just because the graphics are simple doesn't make the game any less "finished".

8. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    This thread is asking why more people don't play Galcon. I gave my opinion and that's all that matters. I'm sure others will agree with me that it might not be worth it to spend $5 on the full version. There are other games that I could spend more time on than Galcon, like Fuzzle. It's $1 and probably my most used app besides Bike or Die.

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Because it's way overpriced.

10. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

So funny. I bought Galcon back in July, when it cost $10. To this day, it one of just a few app purchases I don't regret. And now people are complaining about a price point half of what it was back then? Too funny. ;)

11. larsef

larsef Active Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Sweden
    #11 larsef, Dec 4, 2008
    $5 isn't much really, given that you like the game. I can see a trend that developers are lowering their price to get new buyers. I rather prefer that they keep on updating the games with new features to get new buyers. That will make both old and new customers happy. The best thing is if they can do both of course.

BTW, I just saw that Galcon is also available for PC / Mac / Linux. It looks like essentially the same game, but not as good since it lacks multi-touch. The price is $19.95. Isn't that interesting?

12. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I think this game is way overhyped, I bought it, when it was still 10 bucks, and I feel ripped off. They call this a strategy game. It's not. It just too bare bones and basic. I played it a couple of times and got tired quickly.

13. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    That's what I'm trying to get at. :)

14. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Their loss. :). Totally a bargain at $5.

15. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Overhyped? It's barely even heard of compared to some of the other junk in the app store. (EXAMPLE: iHunt in the top 10? <_<)

It's basic, but it's fun. It does involve strategy. You can't just fire all your ships at the opponent, and you cant just fire them at any planet. different sizes have different build rate, and number of ships to capture it. And with the randomization of planets you often need to really think before choosing what you do. Especially when you get a spot void of planets.

istopmotion, I'm not attacking your opinion, but it really is a great game.

16. whooley

whooley Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    If my game ever gets finished (arg!) then that's certainly the approach I intend to use. Rather than lower the price (which just annoys previous owners) I'd rather add new levels & content and leave the price as is. Everyone's happy.

Plus, having spent far, far too long on the game already, the last thing I want to do is chuck the game into the bargain bin at 99c. I'd rather charge more and make the game worth it. If it doesn't sell at all, I'll make it free rather than charge 99c!

17. larsef

larsef Active Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Sweden
    I guess that those of you who don't like it for $5 won't like it for $2 either. We all have different taste. That's why developers should always release a free or lite version of their game, so we can try before we buy. Galcon is available in a Lite version so I think that is good.

18. larsef

larsef Active Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Sweden
    Exactly. Just remember to release a Lite version too. People should have the opportunity to try before they buy.

19. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm just not into it, or most other strategy/TD style games

20. mek

mek Well-Known Member

-lmao-, i can only laugh at the people who say it is overpriced and needs graphics updates..

seriously, dont buy it then...cause i dont want to kick yer arse online

it is one of the best games in the app store
    Phil did an amazing port, even the desktop version is worth the 20 bucks
    he has made quite a bit of a pretty penny on the amount of sales re: if it was in the top 50 or whatnot

I bought it @ 10 bucks, and have no regrets
    it is the perfect 1-10 minute RTS for the iphone