Why doesnt Apple make any games or apps?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iphoneprogrammer, Jun 4, 2009.

1. If Apple makes a game and it is put in the what we are playing, or the new + note worthy sections of iTunes, all the other developers have a tantrum, and claim that it is favoritism.

So if they make a game they can't really promote it anyway, or they will piss off third party developers.

They already make 30% of the profits from everyone else's games anyway, so they might as well just let other people/companies do the hard work of making the hits.

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Apple, as stated, is BOTH a hardware AND software company.

They have this synergy strategy where you have to buy Apple hardware to run Apple software, and Apple software entices you to buy Apple hardware...but the opposite is also true: Apple hardware entices you to buy Apple software. It's one "benefit" of being niche compared to the Windows PC development scene. Microsoft is just one (a large part, but just one) of a vast sea of companies developing Windows compatible software. Big fish, sure...but much, much, much bigger pond. Apple? Big fish, smaller pond. They have a stranglehold on Mac software sales, which, again, ensures further Mac hardware sales, which in turn...well, you get the point.

But, even though they are both a hardware and software company, as another poster pointed out, they are NOT a game software company. It's surprising that a company in which the two founders got the money to start the company from jobs they did for game companies (like Atari) is so not in the game scene, to the point where, for a few years, they were almost anti-game.

My how the world turns...

Anyway...I think Apple won't make games themselves. For a while. They're up to something...I think eventually they'll either start internal studios, or buy external studios...or both. They're hiring former video game company execs left and right...maybe they're gearing up for buying a game company (please be Sega...please be Sega....). Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part (seriously, please buy Sega...please buy Sega...save them from themselves....).

3. aafuss

aafuss Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Gold Coast, Australia
    I would have like to seen Apple release iPhone versions of their Chinese Checkers and Reversi games-they made these for the click-wheel iPods only.

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    There's like 50 versions of either one in the AppStore. Seriously? It has to come from Apple?

Unless Apple alone has the capability of creating a sorely needed app that somehow integrates itself with the rest of the Apple hardware/software, I don't see them coding anything anytime soon.

5. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    I think It would be nice if they would release some more apps and/or games. They definitely would have loads of polish and, if buggy, could get instant updates. :p

6. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    The remote was featured and no one seemed to have a problem with that. It got all of the main ad spaces (large top banner included) and nobody seemed to care.