Why doesnt Apple make any games or apps?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iphoneprogrammer, Jun 4, 2009.

1. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    I have not seen any apps or games made by the Apple corporation. Do they just let third party devs make them?

2. raps27

raps27 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2008
    They have made a texas holdem game, the remote app to control itunes and keynote preaentation app

3. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Yeah, it is weird that they came out with Texas Hold'em immediately, but haven't made another game since...

4. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

think they make enough money from everyone else making apps without having to make their own. and it would be abit ironic them having to pay themselves commision on every sale of their games. lol.

5. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    lol very true, i wonder how they would do that..

6. brendons

brendons Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    well

considering to continue any franchise (like sonic, etc.) they'd need to buy the rights

that leaves just coming up with new, original titles. they have so many devs submitting games already i don't see the advantage to them (considering the cost of production)

7. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I suppose the truth is that they simply don't need to make any apps. They get heaps of money from the existing 1000,000,000 + Apps they have on the App Store. If you think about all the money they get from the App Store, let alone all the money they get on the Apple products themselves, a few more apps isn't going to make much of a difference.

And besides, they are probably too busy designing the next iPhone :)

8. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    Don't be fooled.

Apple is a hardware company. As much money as you think they make on the App Store, they spend it just maintaining the appstore (and all involved with it).

The real money maker is the hardware, selling iPhones and iPods. The apps are just another reason to buy the hardware from Apple. (Just like the iTunes Music was just another reason to buy an iPod).

9. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

so true. everything is just an extension of their primary aim. to sell computers or iphones.

10. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    Exactly, even OS X (which is why it's just $99 and has no kind of protection against piracy) as the only way to use it is to buy a mac.

11. Valaris

Valaris Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Apple employees are too busy counting their money to make games and apps.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #12 squarezero, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
    Actually, they're both a hardware and software company, with profitable titles such as Final Cut Pro, Aperture, iWork, and Logic Studio. If I'm not mistaken, they also still own FileMaker Inc, even though it operates as a separate company. Without a doubt, the majority of their profits are derived from hardware sales, but they are fully capable of developing (or, just as often, purchasing and upgrading) quality, standalone software.

What they are not, and have never been, is a gaming company, which is probably why they've stayed away from game apps. I have a feeling that Texas Hold'em was developed as a way to "populate" the App Store before they knew how popular it would turn out to be.

13. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    We have a winner.

14. Kosikutioner

Kosikutioner Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Yup! Check this article out here...

http://gizmodo.com/5256604/iphone-application-sales-are-so-tiny-they-fit-in-a-floppy

Shows that they really don't make THAT much off the sales. I mean, they obviously are plenty happy with 100 Million dollars, but I'm sure they're putting all that back into the store at this point in developing it further. It isn't at its peak, its in its infancy, and MUCH needs to be tweaked and fixed. I'm very surprised it hasn't been attacked more for the inefficiency of it (namely, finding apps you want is basically only possible via word of mouth at this point) but I imagine thats because of the 'fanboy' nature that exists with most things apple.

That being said, I would like some more Apple things to BUY. Because its frustrating that they do not let others imitate their apps (namely imitate Mail functions etc) and yet they don't update anything except via firmware. I'd love if Apple came out with added functionality apps, even if you had to pay sometimes.

Or I'd like them to get more firmware out quicker... Its frustrating with them being so closed with US changing things and programs to fill in gaps, and yet take so long themselves.

15. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Take a look at Gameloft. They have capatalized on the appstore and their revew is through the roof. That being said why wouldnt apple want to take part in that? If you own a jailbroken idevice and you have cydia installed there is a game that was made by apple but it was never finished. It was kinda like SciFly but not as polished. Im not exactly sure what the name was but if you want you can take a look. These are the types things apple should invest some time and money into to furher increase their profits. Or as someone suggested, buy out the liscenes to certain "name games" and go that route. If Apple can make iLife and iMovie or w/e then i dont see why they cant make some games.

16. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    #16 dmbfan1192, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
    I love how everybody forgot the real reason why Apple totally blasted through the tech scene in the past decade: the iPod. Since Jobs' first revealing of that little box that held music, Apple has never been the same. If the iPods were not as popular as they were, Apple would probably be bankrupt considering the fact that without the iPod money, they could never have improved the computers as much as they did and definitely would have never made a PHONE. They would either a) still be in that rebellious indie hippie mode like they were in the 80s/90s or b) have been consumed by the recession.
    Because iLife and iWork are program suites and games are... well GAMES. They certainly make the most stable and useful programs out there but maybe they figure that it's just not worth it to compete with EA or Gameloft. They could use their resources to form some sort of Apple publishing company like Chillingo and have the money to help EA make some sick games. Actually, nevermind, is EA a publisher itself or a game developing company?

17. rmd

rmd Active Member

May 29, 2009
    There aren't 1 billion apps in the app store...it's actually around 40,000

18. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
  19. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  20. MrDark