Why does everybody hate metal?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Oceraux, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Oceraux

Oceraux Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    #1 Oceraux, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
    And even some metalheads hate some metal bands that are actually good.

What the (deleted - mod) is wrong with this society?

Blames to those (Mod - deleting the offensive word) who just scream.

And why does every YouTube metal vid I come across, there's always a Slipknot hate comment? They're actually good.. I mean FRIKIN BEAST! They are hella band.

But all hope is gone. (Slipknot reference right there if you didn't notice)

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Firstly let people listen to what they want, i mean i'm no fan of 'emo kid' music but its far far higher up than a lot of the rubbish in the charts, eg American idol dross, the usual manufactured boyband etc. If this was a thread about how bad boybands or Justin Bieber is then fair enough.

I'm sure 'emo fans' could post a lot of negative comments about 'metal heads'. Specially about their rudeness/language as you just showed.

I'm not a huge fan of metal, i find all the 'look at us, we're scary and crazy.....' image of Slipknot laughable, they're clever people as they obviously attract a ton of young metal fans who love all that sort of thing. If i was 18 i would probably love Slipknot, as i'm older i find it just a great use of marketing. Prefer old skool bands like Metallica rather than the current publicity Slipknot gets for the kids.

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #3 september, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    I'm pretty easy these days on genre, main thing is I don't like anything prefabricated, regurgitated or a dry copy of something/someone else I've heard.

To be honest with current climate that doesn't leave a lot, but occasionally someone does something honest or different, genre has little to do with it.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    To be fair, that's not what they're saying with the masks, but I can see why people who don't know them might think it's supposed to be scary or mere shock value. Initially it was to conceal identity and put the focus on the music rather than the people who create it. The first set of masks weren't intended to be scary at all and now it's just become something of a tradition. It'd make even less sense to have Disney characters or something.

If I was going to call anything laughable, it'd be every rap and hip-hop artist who thinks they're threatening or unique in some way, which is most of them. Metal artists are generally down to earth, happy people who enjoy a laugh, but watching interviews with rappers is the most cringe-worthy thing I can imagine. They just can't drop the act.

To address the title post: People don't hate metal. Metal is hugely popular. It gets an equal amount of hate as other genres, it's just not in the charts much outside of Europe so you hear less about it.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    But its all an image isnt it ? I reckon 'most' rappers arent the hard tough people they pretend they are but most rappers wont sell that many records if they're pictured stroking puppies or skipping down the road. The days of De La Soul etc are a long time over.

Same with most bands, i was lucky enough to meet my idol Liam Gallagher a few months back, was he the annoying rude obnoxious guy you read in the papers ? (The stories where they photograph him at 3am when they wind him up trying to take a picture of him swinging at a camera). Nope, very very friendly indeed, stopped for ages for a chat, signed autographs etc. Stories of Liam visiting a fan in hospital wont sell papers, a picture of him at 3am swinging at a camera (and they say it was a bloke) sells.

Same for Slipknot, if theyre in an interview not swearing or drinking etc and instead they're talking about how their rosebush is growing in their garden and what polish they use on their car the kids wont buy the music.

Every type of music is hated and loved, theres not one perfect one out there. I used to like rap in the early days and a bit of metal but as the great Morrissey once said 'the music that they play, means nothing to me and my life' which is true. I've got nothing in common with rappers from South Central, i've got nothing in common with long haired people who wear denim and shout a lot etc ! ;)

The way some angry teenagers are 'so into their music' reminds me of how girls are so into boybands during their teenage years. Wont listen to reason as they think their music is the best ever. Always makes me laugh 10 years later when you see the angry long haired metal fan and hes now got a short haircut and works for a bank.

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #6 MidianGTX, Sep 24, 2013
    I don't think Slipknot do drink and swear in interviews though. As with most metallers, the act drops once they leave the stage. I'm sure they drink... and swear, it comes with the lifestyle, but if they're seen doing it then it's probably because they were doing it anyway. Come to think of it, their frontman doesn't drink any more... and one of the drummers did an interview on a golf course. I can understand the image being presented in photo shoots because that's still playing the role, but they don't then go home and claim to eat babies.

Probably the best example of this is Iron Maiden. They've got a decent collection of foul songs, but damn if they're not the friendliest people you could ever meet. Nicko would give you the clothes off his back.

I like metal along with a bunch of other stuff, but I've never really tried hard to assign myself an image. I don't think your music taste has to match your experiences too closely, otherwise there's little point in storytelling. Presumably if the songs you listen to had to be directly comparable to your life then bankers would listen to songs about banking.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #7 metalcasket, Sep 24, 2013
    Slipknot is not metal.

Yes, that is all.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? The above isn't a "metalhead disliking metal" comment. In fact, I have no problem with Slipknot and used to listen to them a hell of a lot back in the day. They're not metal though. Not in the slightest.

Speaking of Slipknot, everyone should check out Stone Sour's House of Gold & Bones, Parts I and II. Easily, easily Corey Taylor's best work and 2 of the greatest albums to come out in the last few years. The damn things have been compared to The Wall for poop's sake!

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah good point, to me its 'kids metal', dont get me wrong Slipknot are entertaining but they're just for kids really. When you think of classic metal you wont put Slipknot ever in that category.

9. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Nope, this is kids' metal:

I'm sorry for you ears.

Anyway, I'm not too big on Slipknot either. It's mostly about how their music is pretty boring to me, not the image, though.

10. I like Quiet Riot. Thanks Midian.

11. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I don't like metal, because it's too 'ExTrEmE!!!'. I mean, I can't take it seriously at all- it's like, 'I'm so angry/upset I'm going to cheesily scream about it in the most over the top manner ever'. Like, half the time I hear one, I end up cracking up because virtually every metal song is such a joke. What really gets me is metal bands that alternate between boy band singing and screaming. It's like, what?

Personally though, I generally listen to stuff like Kendrick Lamar, Radiohead, Gorrillaz, Kid Cudi, The Roots, Muse, OK Go, Foster the People, Macklemore, Garbage, etc. Not sure how to describe my taste in music. Chill?

12. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Regardless of metal the world needs more distorted guitar, where have all the gut wrenching passionate solos gone, not the bleep bleep space invaders karp but the real stuff. The grinding riff work, stuff that makes you feel something.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #13 MidianGTX, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    Sounds like you're talking about Metalcore and not Metal. If all you know about it is the stuff you see on music channels then... that adds up, they show a lot of teen crap these days, but metal is far more diverse than that. Even without getting too pedantic about it you could split it into around 50 subgenres.

Hey, it's still around! For riffs though I've been looking more towards Stoner Rock lately.

14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    +1 for this! You got THAT right on the nose!

15. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Not to deviate the thread but would be keen on some band names for Stoner Rock that are worth checking out, any good solo work would be appreciated too.

16. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    In a long list of bands, IM are without a doubt some of the sweetest, smartest, friendliest guys I've ever met. Sorry to Bruce and the boys for damaging the image, but yeah, just awesome, awesome guys... Oh, and smart, too. Yes, EVEN the drummer.:p;):D

As for the rap/hip-hop comments regarding bravado/swagger, I would humbly argue that with most of the highly publicized performers, I agree with the comments, but as applied to "most rapppers/hip-hop performers" in general? Not even close.

If the only rap/hip-hop people are exposed to is the commercial stuff, I can see and appreciate the lack of perspective, but that doesn't mean the statement generalizes over the entire genre. Boy, do I hate the radio some days...

DBC

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know what you mean but looking at your list (and i like a few of them) theres Gorillaz, a 'cartoon' type of band. They've done a few good tunes but the whole 'cartoon band' thing i cant stand. I suppose just dont take bands that seriously, metal ones or cartoon band ones.

Radiohead i liked until they went a bit 'different', early albums i love, later albums nah.

I used to like rap a lot in the late 80's, but i just enjoyed the music and wasnt bothered about the 'messages'. I lived in southern England, i couldnt relate to all the lyrics and stuff from 'gangstas' from south central.

Most of it is just an 'image' to sell more records, i'm sure most rappers are friendly, but for record sales its good they look cool and 'gangsta' rather than getting pictured making the dinner for the kids or weeding in the garden.

But as for the original post, Slipknot i find entertaining to watch, some of their videos look great, the imagery etc but its all just an 'image' for the angry teens. But Slipknot isnt really 'metal', its like pantomine metal for kids. Bit like saying Vanilla Ice is a great rap artist. Its entertaining but just manufactured by some clever management to appeal to the kids and its worked a dream

18. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Couldn't help thinking of "My Bloody Valentine" when I read this...

DBC

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I've only been getting into it since late last year, so I might still be missing a lot, but when I get on my PC I'll give you a list of the stuff I've been listening to.

20. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    There should be a stoner rock thread.