Why does ea even bother to make idevice games if they cripple them?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arktar

Arktar Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    #21 Arktar, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    Wii, regardless of what you think, was made for games. iPhone and iPod Touch was made for music. DSi was made for games. iPhone and iPod Touch was made for video playing.
    Yes, iPhone can be made to play games, but it's not a fully fledged gaming system. iPhone was made for music primarily, games secondly. The DSi is vice-versa...
    And DSi version is probably going to end up $40, where as iPhone is only $6. Why should the DSi and Wii lose to iPhone?
    Edit: I thought iPad was for web browsing and eBooks anyway? Not a full game console?

2. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    They will undoubtedly cost much more than the iOS version. So they should be "better" (or at least offer more content, since the DSi version can't match iOS graphically).

iOS gamers are cheap. Heck, I'm cheap. I like my 99cent games (truth be told, I love my free games, too, thanks appshopper!). If I want to pay $30 - $40 for handheld games, I'd buy DS or PSP games. $10 - $15 is my absolute upper limit. Under $5 is preferred. $1 is really awesome. Free is fab. :D

3. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Give it a rest.

4. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Wii was made for casual Mario party or wii sports like games hence why they didn't even have true 1:1 until motion plus and it was hard to control games accurately and why almost no real games without Mario or core games sold on it. Also psp was always marketed as the new Walkman and a multimedia player even had umps specifically marketed for movies not games, so just because something was marketed or made originally for something else doesnt mean it can't be just as good or excel in games.

5. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    And apple marketed the iPad from the get go to gamers with demonstrations of flight control and other stuff. So where are the ipad games apple? Where is ur support in trying to get bigger devs to make some stuff either exclusive for it or designed for it? Even this kotaku article says its still has a limited selection:
    http://kotaku.com/5559176/should-you-buy-an-ipad-for-gaming

6. Registeel

Registeel Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Slow down there princess >_>

There's this magical button with the ancient word 'Edit' on it. It let's you edit your previous posts if you want to add to what you've said 5 minutes before.

:eek:

/lol

well, EA are pretty generous not making us pay like $40+ for these games dude, so shush your little mouth.

7. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #27 Bad Hanson, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    Sorry to veer slightly off topic gang. I have a side mission to deal with here.

I read your comment wintrale. If angry birds is your idea of the benchmark for good ios games on iOS then yes, you are exactly the type I was referring to (big surprise there then) and I'll state for the record you are full of crap. What are you even doing at this site if you are a psp person anyway you won't find too many similar types here most of us sold our PSP's to buy better iPhones/touches and/or LOTS more games. I am sure there are plenty of people here who would list Angry Birds waaaay down their list of games that matter on the iOS, because angry birds is a bit of fun (that's right we like fun sometimes too, also we can differentiate.) Also if you happen to believe iphone game charts are representative of 'substance' then am I also to understand that you only listen top 40 chart music? Your priggish attitude is not welcome here where we have an inclusive attitude towards games, and ios gaming whether you like it or not is in full swing. So are Kotaku (for example) posting all these many, many news items relating to iPhone games...just to annoy YOU? Sadly many of the best games don't get much publicity but here they do. We post and dev's speak to us because they value our input and want to make their games better for us. How cool is that? Now you might want to get back to writing your begging letter to Capcom for PSP Street Fighter 4. Oops sorry, forgot, PSP can't handle Street Fighter 4 (source C&VG 28.08.2010).

8. Axidrain

Axidrain Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2010
    pffft. development costs on the ios platform is much cheaper than on the psp anyway. so there's actually no real reason for games that come out on the ios devices should be half assed. and now they have the unreal engine to make things easier.

gameloft is a good example of a games company that makes real console grade games on the ios devices. they make clones yes but they make them really good. and they're full blown games that are under 10 bucks.

i dont get how a lot of iphone users spend so much on the phone but are too damn cheap to pay for anything more than 99cents. we need to change that. a lot of real gamers are expecting more out of the appstore nowadays.

back on topic. previous nfs games were much better than this one. hot pursuit is just crap. a totally half a$$ed job.

9. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    I think we also need to have it said here that a great many of us are working people and more than happy to pay more than 99c for a game. You'll always get people who are cheap-assed but let it be said that's not everybody, but granted we are in the minority (I think) As for me, I spend more on iPhone games than on games for the big consoles, I just get through a lot more games. I know I'm not alone. I have decided not to buy this need for speed as the ones I already bought (at full price) seem to be at least as good. If EA has just added the dual modes I'm sure I would have bought it yesterday.

10. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Guys I just found the perfect quote to sum arise my thoughts and what has been bothering me the whole day as I was reading disappointment sftfer disappointment with the new rage game being a) incredibly short and unsatiafying and b)on rails and hard to control to boot. And is was the big game hyped for months on end to come out and save igaming? Anyway the wrote is here -- it is the first paragraph:
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/DreamWorks+Megamind/review.asp?c=25121

11. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    So who else is gonna come and claim to save iDevice gaming from degenerating into something worst than you see on calculators and have some potential for real games or games rewiring an iq above 10 to play?

12. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Oh and the new mma undisputed game is even worse than the ea one (which besides the controls actually isn't that bad). Isn't it sad that a game with the ufc license, by a company with huge resources and one that comes after competition (the ea title) and where the publishers can learn what worked and didn't in the other title, still manages to be worse? I mean it's not like it's competing with a lot of other mma titles as it's only the second one ever and it still managea to be arch a crappy effort and way worse than even the title from co petition that came before it. Has that ever happened before in gaming?

13. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I'm tired of hearing this argument, it's ridiculous. The PC wasn't designed as a gaming platform either. How many things does the PC do more "primarily" than gaming? It's beside the point.