Why does drinking from the garden hose taste so good?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, May 21, 2015.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I'm 52, and one of my favorite things is to drink from my garden hose in the summer, when I am usually found working in my garden. I've been doing this all my life.

I think the water is just the right temperature, and the flow is just perfect.

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I think you must keep your hoses relatively new.. I don't think you would enjoy it nearly as much drinking from one of my hoses... :D

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Heh- heh! Yeah, I'm fitty-fo, and I almost forgot about doing that all the time growing up! Now, the tap water where I live isn't even drinkable IMO, so I haven't done that in years! Never forget though, when I was around 12, a few of us went outside and this one friend grabbed the hose first and turned the water on, and suddenly he started screaming bloody murder and spit out this big wasp! Stung his ass a bunch of times in his mouth and tongue! The look on his face was horrifying! You can imagine! First thing I thought of, man.

4. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Lol, I had a similar experience years ago but it was one of those small lizards (well known in Florida) that popped out. Thankfully I'd waited a few seconds to flush water out first. Made me not want to drink out of a hose ever again though.

5. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    I learned early on you have to turn the hose on and let some of the water out first before taking a drink, as that first blast of very warm water that had been sitting in the hose was never quite refreshing, lol.

6. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Well, I always let the hose run at least 15 seconds before drinking just so the water that was sitting in the hose is gone because that water is hot.

7. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Papa Deuce you are my new Hero!!! To start a thread like this is just what I needed today to start laughing. Thanks ol' man :eek:

8. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    I think you'll have the same result if you grind some rubber into the tap water.