Why do you like/dislike dungeon games? What do you want in a dungeon crawler

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Tosty, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Tosty

Tosty Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Hey everyone,

I am making a game with similar styles like "Bit Dungeon" and "The Binding of Isaac" where you clear monsters on one "grid" to move to the next and make your way to the level's boss. I'm looking to find out the features that people do or don't like about these types of games and implement them to mine.

The game will be in 2D and made with a limited budget which is why I am trying to implement the best features to give the user the best experience. What makes you guys want to complete those types of games and what gives you motivation to keep playing?

Does clearing enemies in a square map over and over become boring? Or does it not matter if there is a good reward at the end (ie find boss/good loot/gold/etc).

What are your thoughts... Also, any name suggestions for new 2D pixel style dungeon game?

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Try a new setting. Fantasy is tired.

3. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    I personally haven't heard of bit dungeon but I LOVE binding of Isaac, even if the theme is... Somewhat disgusting. Anyway, for me, the grid system is kind of annoying, but the variety of rooms, enemies and the chance of getting special items helps a lot. I'd say just try to have a lot of variety if possible. Not every room needs to look different but don't just have floor after of the same theme. Also, item variety helps a lot too, though I'd say try to keep it to helpful items as opposed to bad ones. Hope This helped.

4. Tosty

Tosty Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    So far so good, keep the ideas coming!!

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #5 Exact-Psience, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Sci Fi is barely represented in the dungeon crawly genre, and my favorite feature in these are, when summed up in one word: LOOT.

6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Also, try randomizing walls and pillars in the rooms for added challenges. Even include things like water that slows you down and glass/ice that slippery.

7. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Good thoughts here.

I also like when things don't always go as expected..... like in a battle you really think you SHOULD win, you don't.