iPad Why do some games require 2.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Rocketman919, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Im on 2.0.2 and cant update cuz im jailbroken. It seems most of the new apps require 2.1, is there a way to put them on my phone without upgrading? ( i would but 2.1 for 1st gen iphone hasnt been done yet) Also, please answer why these are in force.

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I doubt it's possible. 2.1 introduced changes to the programming interface (API), so there's good reason why it would be required.

arn

3. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Then ill just have to wait for 2.1 to be jailbroken *sigh*

4. mek

mek Well-Known Member

when programming, you can set which devices you wish the app to be allowed on, as well as test it on simulated versions of the OS
    when signing the code, it is a 52 page detailed process...and it is easy to make a mistake on...thus simple backwards compatibility issues that can easily be corrected

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Um... 2.1 firmware was jailbroken and added to both Pwn programs the day after it came out...

If you don't know how to use them you can PM me and I'll help you out

Oh, and to answer the question anyways: 2.1 changes the way games are run and code is handled (the extent of which I have no idea). That is why some 2.0 games have had issues on 2.1 firmware and why games built on 2.1 can't be played on 2.0

6. (klondike)

(klondike) Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Im jailbroken on 2.0.2 just like you and I can't upgrade but If your jailbroken just go into cydia and install fwchanger. Open it up an there will be a custom firmware option. In the first typing field type 2.1. In the second typing field you need to type 5f136 then press set custom firmware. This doesn't change your firmware it just makes your phone think you are but it won't change in iTunes so you need to install the app from the mobile app store. Then just go into the mobile app store and install the 2.1 app that you want and see if it works. So far I've only done this with urban tycoon and that works so you'll just have to try it out. After your done installing the app don't even launch the app to see if it works go back to fwchanger and in the first typing field type 2.0.2 and in the second type 5c1. This will put you back on 2.0.2. If you don't it can really mess up your phone. Then when your firmware is normal again try the app out and see if it works.

7. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    ^^^ that all sounds very messy. PwngeTool and QuickPwn now work on the latest 2.1 firmware so there really is no reason why you shouldn't upgrade to the latest firmware and then do the jailbreak.

2.1 jailbroken for 1st gen phone has been done - they did it a day or so after it came out and I know this for a fact since I have a 1st gen phone on 2.1 and it is jailbroken.

8. (klondike)

(klondike) Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2008
    At first it's a little confusing but once you've done it it's easy.

9. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    so it does work? On modmyi they said that 2.1 for a 1st gen hasn't been done yet. So if I just create a new custom firmware bundle with 2.1 I should be good? What's the best way to update without losing my apps or songs?

10. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    If you jailbroke with WinPwn, all that you have to do is grab a custom firmware from one of the torrent sites - hint: go to the bay of pirates torrent site - (that was created using Pwnage for the Mac; just make sure that you choose the correct one, as the file for first gen phones is different from the file for 3G phones) and load it to your phone using iTunes (click on shift+restore and choose the custom firmware file). I did that successfully on a first gen phone and on a 3G phone. You don't have to wait for a new WinPwn version! Just don't use QuickPwn, as it will update the baseband!

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    What's wrong with the baseband being upgraded!?

Keeping an eye on your baseband is ONLY important if you plan on unlocking your iphone to run on another network.

Even if Rocketman919 does want to unlock his iphone he can easily do so on 2.1 with bootneuter which works just fine on 1st gen iphones.

12. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    well forget modmyi .. a better reference place is iClarified - they have good tutorials with each step shown as a screenshot. From what I gather, you can use QuickPwn only after having used PwngeTool or WinPwn originally. The best place to know if a tool supports the latest firmware is to grab it from the original developers site - so bookmark their blog etc. They will tell you if their application supports firmware xxxx.

I used WinPwn to go from 1.1.4 to 2.0 and then used QuickPwn to go from 2.0 to 2.1 as the WinPwn developer hadn't supported 2.1 at the time.

Once you do a backup, everything will be saved - only then should you attempt to do a firmware update - so connect your phone and do a sync in iTunes as that usually starts the backup process. Once you have updated the firmware - when prompted, make sure you choose the previous backup time and date and it will automatically put all your settings back.

I would strongly advice against vandy1997's suggestion of grabbing already customised firmware from open torrent sites, for 2 reasons:

1. They could contain viruses, since not everyone is genuine and honest with their uploads - some people just are malicious.

2. The firmware update has been customised by that individual so they could have changed certain aspects that you didn't want changed - eg the startup logo, theme etc. Yeah these can be restored - but why have to go through the trouble in the first place?

Just grab the official firmware from Apple and do it all yourself - that way the end result is clean and exactly what you wanted. iClarifieds tutorials are a good place to start.

13. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    You dont really need 2.1. I used an app to change my firmware tag to 2.1 and all the apps worked fine. Its just Apple trying to make people update.

14. sdragon

sdragon Active Member

Jul 16, 2008
    While some people may just be submitting their apps for 2.1, there are some new additions in 2.1, so some apps might misbehave or crash if you do this.

Also, I know some developers who are requiring 2.1 (or will require 2.2) due to bug fixes Apple has introduced. In one case, the app will run on 2.0 just fine, but it will crash frequently.

15. vandy1997

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    Let me start by letting you know why some people don't want to upgrade the baseband; they would like to unlock the phone at some point in the future. Unlocking it will allow you to use it on other carrier networks worldwide that the iPhone supports (other than only using it on AT&T's network if you're in the US, for example). You will never be able to use it on Verizon, and you will never be able to use 3G on T-Mobile in the US (but you would be able to use GSM on T-Mobile in the US). Some individuals who are working to unlock the phone (it was done successfully with first generation phones) are doing it on firmware 2.0.0, which has a particular baseband. A process in the baseband determines whether or not the phone can be unlocked and used on carrier networks worldwide. That baseband was modified on 3G iPhones in firmware 2.0.1, 2.0.2, and 2.1. Since the individuals who are working to find an unlock are working on the baseband on firmware 2.0.0, they want people who wish to unlock their 3G iPhones in the future to stay with firmware 2.0.0 (or at least to refrain from updating the baseband when updating to newer firmware versions). The only way to do this is to use PwnageTool on Macs or WinPwn on the PC to update to newer firmware. You do so by creating custom firmware that will not allow the baseband to be upgraded. Some people claim that by not upgrading the baseband you may lose certain tweaks to the 3G signal, but I have not found that to be true. I have an unlocked 3G iPhone (from Italy) and a locked 3G iPhone, and both have crappy 3G signal, even though the unlocked 3G iPhone has a fully upgraded baseband. If you use QuickPwn, the baseband WILL be upgraded, so if the individuals who are working on the unlock for firmware 2.0.0 phones create an unlock for that firmware but are unable to do so for later firmware versions, then those people with newer basebands will not be able to unlock their phones.

If you DON'T need to unlock your 3G iPhone (i.e., you will never want to use it outside of the US on other carriers), then you can upgrade by using QuickPwn. Another reason for which you may want to have an unlocked 3G iPhone is that they are worth more if you wish to sell it on ebay someday, as it can be used by individuals in other countries who may pay more for your 3G iPhone.

With respect to using custom firmware from torrent sites, it is essential to be careful and to make sure that you are downloading a file that is not corrupted. If you go to a torrent site like piratebay, you can read people's comments to determine if the file is working. Not everybody is malicious; some people do try to help each other. As far as I know, there have been no files with viruses (Dimsum should point to specific instances instead of making generalizations), although some may be corrupt. In any event, if there is a problem, you can always download the file directly from Apple and restore using the official Apple file. Second, with respect to customization, many people do customize, but if you choose the file with the generic options (i.e., Installer and Cydia only), you will be fine. Most people will list the customizations that they made. I used a custom firmware file with Installer and Cydia and stock startup and DFU screens. And if you want to be safe, send me a PM, and I will provide you with some additional information as to where to get the files that you need (for both first generation and 3G iPhones).

If you used WinPwn for firmware versions 2.0.0, 2.0.1, or 2.0.2, you won't need to use it for firmware 2.1 if you get a custom 2.1 file (even if it was created using PwnageTool on a Mac). You just go into iTunes, clisck on the shift+restore, and choose the custom 2.1 firmware file.

Make sure to do a backup prior to doing this, and there is no guarantee that you will have all of your info once you restore using the backup. That's not a problem with contacts, bookmarks, and e-mails, as those are synced with your computer, but you may lose your SMS messages, notes, favorites, saved game info, etc. The way that I ensure that I don't lose anything is to use WinSCP, go into the relevant folder, and copy the files onto the desktop. For example, saved game info is usually in a Documents subdirectory within the directory for each game. It's pretty easy to copy it over. Just do it for the games that you really care about. It's not simple, and it can be time consuming, but it can be done.

Firmware 2.1 is A LOT better than 2.0.2, so it's useful to upgrade if you can!!

Cheers!! :D

16. vandy1997

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    You are right! You should try not to upgrade your baseband only if you want to have a better chance at unlocking (when and if an unlock method is created).

The baseband on first gen iPhones was not updated with 2.x firmware, so there is no issue there. You can have a jailbroken and unlocked first gen iPhone with firmware 2.1. I have one!! In that case, you can use QuickPwn and then use bootneuter to unlock! I didn't notice that Rocketman919 has a first gen iPhone!!

There is great news for you, Rocketman919!! You CAN have a jailbroken and unlocked first gen iPhone. Just do a little bit of research, and you will be golden.

Of course, firmware 2.2 will probably be out soon, so this process will start all over again!! I purchased an unlcoked 3G iPhone form Italy so that I can upgrade immediately without worrying about maintaining the baseband for the unlock. Of course, I will still have to wait for a new jailbreak at each update!

17. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    What kind of a comment is that? Should I smash a window to prove that glass shatters...of course not. Did nobody tell you that prevention is better than cure? PirateBays torrents have a reputation for being virus infected so suggesting that someone grabs their firmware from there is just bad advice. Your comment regarding custom firmware just sounds careless and lazy. Why even risk a small chance of having a problem - infection or corruption when you can easily download the firmware from Apples server - guaranteed to be virus free and would probably download much quicker than an averagely seeded torrent? Are you seriously THAT lazy to download PwngeTool or QuickPwn and use the simple help wizard to make your own custom firmware? It's a quick process and guaranteed to be risk free not to mention the customisation will be exactly as you want it - those are more than enough reasons to do it yourself. If there was a reason to be downloading custom firmware from an open torrent site because there was no other choice - then fine, but the alternative is much easier and safer so that is just pretty stupid advice.