iPad Why do so many games not flip vertically?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by rpb1975, Feb 20, 2009.

1. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Quick question for the community...I have a 2nd Gen iPod touch, and I noticed that a lot of games are not oriented for that device and others are. I just recently bought Payback, iDracula, and Heavy Mach. All three of those are oriented uncomforably for the iPod (the headphone jack gets in the way of the left hand). Is there any way to change this? Why don't devs let you flip it?

2. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    It's an additional feature that doesn't come standard.

Developers have to implement it themselves and most will overlook it.

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    No there is no way to change it unless the dev puts it in. Most devs put in code that uses the accelerometer to flip the screen. However this approach means that the accelerometer is always on and drawing power.

about a year a go I sent a feature request to apple asking that they put a switch into settings that let you choose which landscape you wanted. Devs would create in landscape and the switch would let the system handle which way it was oriented.

Sadly they said it isn't possible =( It's up to the dev to figure it out.

I wouldn't mind have 80+ apps in my Settings menu if it meant that I would always be playing the exact way I want

4. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    I second that. I wish devs would pay attention to that. The headphone jack is so annoying when you are really focused on a game like Payback!

5. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    It's odd, what is good for an iPhone is bad for a Touch, and when you fix it to work well on a Touch it then becomes a pain for iPhone users, so you really do need both directions.

I dunno how hard it is to sort out but it is a little shame that the earphone port can get in the way, but after a few games of iDracula i've become ok with the earphone wire sticking into my hand :p

6. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    Apple will fix this problem maybe with the new versions of iPod Touches and iPhones come out. What I mean is that if they make a new iPhone, the'll put the headphone jack on the right.

7. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I'd guess most devs just don't consider this to be an issue, so contacting them directly and voicing your concern is your best bet.

The code required to support this sort of thing is fairly trivial. It took maybe an hour to sort out the details and implement manual and auto-orientation for my in-house game framework.