Why do non-retina games look like crap on the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Xapped, Oct 30, 2010.

1. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    1. The same reason that SD entertainment looks like muddled crap on an HD-LCD/LED/Plasma television, but looks pretty good on an old CRT-television.

2. After viewing the Retina-optimized content, everything else looks like crap.
    (your HD television looks good when you have nothing to compare it to. However, when in a Best Buy retail store, things become difficult).

WORD OF ADVICE:

Try to think of your iPhone4 as a new gaming console and an HD TV, all in one.
    Your old (non-retina) apps are like your old console's games. They will work in the new system, but not look as nice as new releases. I experienced this with my PS3 in 2006. All my Ps2 games running on the PS3 looked like crap on my new HD TV, but they used to look very good on the SD TV. I like to call it Resolution optimization, for lack of a better term.

2. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #22 Dazarath, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    Your analogy is incorrect for so many reasons. Someone already explained that the reason is because it's not using nearest neighbor for upscaling.

3. iNeed2Know

iNeed2Know New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Here http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=68035
    I hope that explains. Retinasizer upscales openGL rendered games for retina display. If a 3D game still isn't running in retina after you downloaded this app, you can add games under the Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/Retinasizer.plist file. It's simple just do this:

1. Go to a new line BEFORE these tags
    </array>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </plist>

2. Write:<string>com.example.game</game> (fill com.example.game with the app code you want to add)

3. Save and respring!

4. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Just as follow-up, our new versions for GraalOnline Classic and Era now support the pixel mode :)