Why can't Apple....

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dannys95, Nov 24, 2008.

1. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #1 dannys95, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
    This is I wish jailbreak (although not now, on a 2g touch, so hurry up dev team!). Why can't Apple make this:

http://ripdev.org/2008/11/hood-10.html

Also, just as a wishlist for Apple, post the features you want on future updates. PLEASE BE REASONABLE and don't ask for something you know Apple will never give. I'll post mine:

- 2.2 Maps update for iPod Touch
    - A similar tool to the one on top
    - Bluetooth (if there is any) unlock for iPod Touch.
    - Emulators (old one, not like PSX cause then that is very illegal. The old ones is also illegal but they are SO OLD, no company would care. Plus the G1 has them)
    - Shake to Shuffle
    - Copy and Paste
    - Landscape email (and texting for iphone)
    - Take away the ugly new look on safari
    - Customizable springboard background
    - Customizable Dock
    - Customizable Sounds (like you pick the ringtone u want for a new email. AND MAKE IT AVAILABLE for the touch.

That's it for now. You keep on posting!

2. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
  3. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    You forgot to add "push notifications." I'm really PO'd that Apple didn't include that in 2.1 or 2.2 because they promised to have it out by September.

4. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Does the G1 seriously have sanctioned emulators?

5. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I would love to get that stuff, but it is Apple. Just look at the Macbooks, they are very nice and cool but they don't have a basic feature like firewire or a card reader.

6. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    http://www.zodttd.com/boards/blog/zodttd/index.php?showentry=1

Here's the part you want:

"I love the concept of the phone. It's much more of an "open platform" than the Apple iPhone. They even have a Gameboy emulator on the Android Marketplace. Yup, Google is competing with Apple's AppStore in the same fashion. It will be interesting to see which gains the most ground compared to which developers prefer to publish on."

I'm sure they will add more

7. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That's pretty much the only way anyone can compete with the iPhone, to allow everything Apple doesn't.

8. case

case Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Interaction Designer
    Michigan
    RipDev rips off BigBoss once again

this is a shame, RipDev is blatently and utterly ripping off BigBoss's SBsettings seen here:

http://sleepers.net/2008/10/28/goodbye-bossprefs-hello-sbsettings/

the crap that was posted here isn't even skinnable with winterboard, doesn't support 2.2 and above all needs RipDev's junky new exploit Pusher.

and read this before you consider putting this crap on your device:

http://thebigboss.org/2008/11/22/avoid-pusher/

still violates your warranty, quit lying to your userbase RipDev and make something original for once!

9. dlogik

dlogik Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    This one on your list struck me as a bit odd. I've been sooooo happy with this change that I forget what the old safari looked like (I think it had something to do with when clicking the website address google popped up underneath but not sure).

Your bits about "allow this on the touch" are also mislead. Sure Apple would love to put everything the iPhone has into the touch, but they're doing what every other business does...separate their products enough to get people to WANT the more expensive one. Apple wants you to get an iPhone over a touch, plain and simple. Just like, as you mentioned, Apple wants you to get a MacBook Pro if you want Firewire (and let's face it, what AVERAGE user actually uses Firewire anyway).

10. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    iPhone: $199
    IPT 2nd Gen: $229

Hmm....

11. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA

Don't forget the cut Apple makes from ATT each month from the iphone service plan....thus it is $199 + x, where x just keeps growing.

12. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    True. But that shouldn't keep the IPT from getting these features. Especially since those are all software based... It would be plain stupidity to not implant them on both models.

And I still wouldn't doubt the IPT getting some of the things the iPhone has (Bluetooth). Especially after finding out it has a faster processor.

13. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    let's face it. we need dev team to make a whole firmware ground up for the idevices. :)

14. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Bear in mind also that the $199 sticker price for iPhone is subsidized/I] by AT&T. It is the more expensive device on paper.

15. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    I agree.

@Different
    I realize this. But you're paying for the phone service, not the phone. So it's not the most expensive device, but Apple makes the most money off of it.

16. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    - Push Notifications
    - Allow Apps some way to set alarms and a unique repeat interval and sound for every alarm
    - Allow Apps to combine Push Notifications and Alarms, so you can get repeated acoustical reminders if new Push Notification events happen

- Allow users to change SMS and email sounds
    - Allow users to set reminder interval and separate sounds for missed phone calls, SMS and emails

- Allow apps to use idle time (standby mode) for downloads (RSS including pics and websites or other news, sport results or weather data for example).

- Add a feature to iTunes to allow Apps to download and sync data like podcasts do. (There are some very cool windows mobile apps, that sync news for offline usage whenever you sync your smartphone.)

- Add a feature to iTunes to backup single (and selected group of) application data in separate backup files, to give the user more control over important data - the current iTunes backup is much to insecure for important data and you can't restore data for selected apps after you do a clean firmware installation

- Give us folders for the dashboard (9 pages are hard to handle and not enough for hardcore users)

17. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    That would be a background process and Apple will never approve. Might see it on Windows Mobile. :D J/K

18. mek

mek Well-Known Member

you didn't get the memo?

Push Notifications September 2010

Landscape Keyboard June 2011

MMS June 2012

these things take time...haha

but it would be nice to have the street view on the touch, just to play around with it when your around with wifi

i have been thinking about jailbreaking recently, after getting burned by a lot of developers, i havent yet...but i have stopped buying applications...which has given me quite a bit of extra + cashflow recently...i'm not complaining

waiting for NFS to be out at least a month, to see how people respond to it
    as well as the other EA games

19. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I am 100% jailbreaking when it becomes available... But solely for the NES emulator :D

20. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    yeah i'll be jailbreaking too. BUT I WILL NOT RIP OFF DEVS! i pay!