Why bother making updates?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by lazypeon, Apr 21, 2009.

1. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    haha im one of those people lol...

2. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #22 Benegesserit, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    Updates for bug fixes are good because even if you haven't seen one, you'd regret it when you finally do (like choosing a menu option you hadn't before and poof your data is corrupted or something).

Wiping high scores can suck and if the update doesn't really have any bug fixes and the updates are lame (like something I don't care about like a global leaderboard) then I won't update to see my personal scores wiped. If it has a huge update that changes the game quite a bit (like iDracula's update) then it's worth it as you're basically playing the game with a lot of new options and modes so you should see how your score changes anyway (adds more replay value).

I think a lot of the problem is the moronic limit on doing updates through the phone. FAR TOO OFTEN does it say I have to use iTunes or WiFi. I don't like having to fire up iTunes every time I want an update. If I choose to have phone download for a half hour while I'm at a movie theatre then so be it. Should be my decision, not Apple's.

I bet a lot of people only use iTunes for putting music on their phone and they just casually browse for apps on their phone only and download through the phone. Any programs that won't download through the phone are a lost sale for most people (despite being readily available as open WiFi sounds, it's is not terribly common).

3. asbjoern

asbjoern Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Part of the Tactile Ent. team
    Copenhagen
    I am one of the people that constantly update so I was surprized to hear that only 10% updates, you ask yourself why?

I think the above quote definately has something to do with this low number - although I still think 10% seems extremely low.

4. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I think the main reason is actually because a lot of the apps being bought are hardly used. I guess most of us have quite a few apps that's been removed from the phone. When you don't use it there's hardly any reason to upgrade it...

5. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I'd guess that it is because many people finish/abandon and delete most stuff before the updates come out. Also, there have been many cases where updates erased scores and what not and some people dislike things like that.

Personally, I update everything, as updates usually improve the apps.

Also, updates often cause people who held back to buy an App in the first place, as initial releases often lack content and polish. So, folks wait until the app has a little more meat before picking it up. I certainly often do, for one.

6. conrem

conrem Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    developer + student at medicine
    Moldova
    in this method you can increase your sales.

7. RawrReptar

RawrReptar Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    i always update this statistic is surprising to me. I enjoy always looking for updates and see added content

8. spacerage

spacerage Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I have found if people dont like a game much in the first place they often dont want to update it.

Since my first game I've tried to do my best to make my games as complete as possible though. Updates can help sales but only for a few days usually.