Why are they charging $9.95 for ipod touch OS 3.0 ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by markx2, Jun 8, 2009.

1. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    The iphone works on a different revenue model so the 'charge' there is otherwise absorbed.

But for the Touch It has nothing to do with tax, with after-sales or any other nonsense.
    Apple want to make more money and they know you have to pay.
    So why are they charging ipod touch owners?

Because they can.

(should be $ not £)

2. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    to make money? If people will buy it they will sell it!

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Well, they don't give out upgrades of OS X for Macs for free, nor does Microsoft offer free upgrades of Windows.

--Eric

4. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    It's supposed to be about general accounting principles that they "have" to follow, but really, there's nothing forcing them to charge in that rule. They can charge as they wish, even nothing, really. But since they can charge money, they're going to do so.

So, yes, it's about the money.

But, when you get down to it, there's really nothing wrong with them charging...in terms of business, mind you. Morally? Well...morals sadly don't apply all too often in business.

5. DonD_GT

DonD_GT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    I don't understand what is there that is worth an extra $10.

As I understand it, the new OS allows microtransactions which I can't see myself using (I don't on X360 or PS3), cut & paste, parental controls and a couple of tweaks to existing functions (enhanced stocks..woo).

Feature list here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

I just isn't worth paying for, IMO.

6. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    But what about the player to player bluetooth connectivity

7. ThePika

ThePika Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    The Twilight Zone
    Think about all the people that have an ipdo touch x the 10$ = lots of $$$

8. b_o_h_i_c_a

b_o_h_i_c_a Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Agreed. It looks like we are still bound with the restrictive 9 springboard pages.

9. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Um. No. There are 11 pages now. You can change your signature, and delete some apps if its that big of a deal.

10. b_o_h_i_c_a

b_o_h_i_c_a Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Done. And I don't pay for things just to delete them.

11. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    My dads an accountant so I asked him about sarbannes oxley (may have spelled it wrong) to sum it up apparently apple has to charge money BUT they could charge a dollar if they wanted to. They choose to make the price high.

12. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    It's a bit annoying, and I don't see where it's necessary (it's free on the iPhone, after all, and minor updates are free as well.) I think it's just another way to try to convince Touch owners to trade up to an iphone, or to get the new version of the Touch that'll be out by the end of the summer.

The worst is they don't tell you you have to upgrade when you buy a 1st generation refurbished Touch from the Apple site. When you tack on the price difference it's no longer such a great deal. I found that out the hard way...

But, whatever. If everything works the way you want it to right now you don't have to update, at least until you see a game or app you really need that requires you to.

13. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    I dont understand why the iPhone owners don't pay but the iTouch owners do.

Thats what doesn't make sense to me.

If you're going to make it free, make it free for everyone.

Maybe its that a lot of the features are phone specific.

14. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Under that general accounting rule, devices that are on a subscription basis have to have the updates done for free. iPhone obviously falls into that due to the calling and data plan one must sign up for in order to use it (legally, of course).

iTouch doesn't apply to that since one doesn't sign up to a subscription plan when buying what is seen as a stand-alone multimedia player device.

15. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Yeah, but there's the Spotlight feature.

Apparently it allows remote look up and launch of apps from within the Spotlight app. So you don't have to search page by page for your apps.

Why does that matter in terms of the 9 page limit (soon to be 1 more page, iirc)?

Because Spotlight doesn't just "spotlight" apps that you can see, but ALL apps on your device. So say you fill up the device past the limit (and have "hidden" apps) - with Spotlight you can remotely look up and launch said apps.

That alone might make the upgrade worth it for this 1st gen touch owner. Hell, even cut & paste and landscape keyboard make it worthy of buying, IMHO. For me, of course. You and others may find it most unworthy.

16. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Never realized that. Just the Spotlight feature is weighing heavily on the scale between the Palm Pre and iPhone 3GS. It's like 80 pounds on the iPhone 3GS and 20 pounds on the Palm Pre (mostly due to lack of background but I want my battery to last though)

17. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I dislike paying for an OS update but at least here what we get is one hell of an improvement, it's like moving from windows ME to XP, so for now i'm willing to pay for the OS update...only just.

18. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    I'm against having to pay for it simply for the fact that I don't have much money to spare but I know that I'll purchase it regardless. It is pretty expensive but there are some benefits to it such as copy and paste which should have been included in the original OS or even the 2.0 OS. I don't care much for the extra pages and the improved 'Stocks'. The micro-details such as improved processing and extended battery life are pretty good I guess. And I want to see how the next generation of apps will utilize the new and improved OS to make an even better gaming experience. Especially multiplayer. Multiplayer Wi-Fi on the iPhone/iPod Touch sucks pretty hardcore at the moment in my opinion. I hope it gets improved and steps beyond boundaries (really hoping LiveFire will blow my socks off).

19. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    You don't pay for the iPhone's updates because it's a subscription-based revenue model.
    However, the iPod is a sale only model. There's some obscure accounting law that requires you to pay for major updates.

20. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Can someone prove this? Where did you get that information from? I believe you, I would just like to read more.