Who Isn't Excited About Rolando?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sainter, Dec 18, 2008.

1. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I don't understand you guys.

First off, somehow saying this game is similar to Loco Roco isn't any kind of argument for this game being overhyped if that is what the discussion is about. There are many games that are clones of other games. It's pretty tough to come up with a brand new concept. It isn't like they tried to hide the fact that it's loco-roco-like. I mean we have seen videos for months! There is nothing wrong with taking an established game concept.

Secondly, what does it mean to be "over-hyped?" If it means that you personally think this game got to much hype, than everyone is entitled to their opinion. But if it means this game did not live up tot he hype it got than I would say you are absolutely wrong. From all the videos and screenshots this game looked like a fun, cute, polished, loco-roco based game. That is EXACTLY what it is. So if anything it is perfectly hyped. It doesn't fail in any category it was hyped in.

I haven't beaten the game or anything yet. But I have played about 10 levels and I am not let down in any way. It's exactly what I thought it would be, and it does everything it sought out to do well.

2. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    I loved LocoRoco on PSP and this looks very similar - I'd be alot more inclined to get it if I wasn't convinced the price will drop. Based on how fast Dropship and Dr Awesome dropped I learned my lesson to wait.

3. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Im not sure what everyone is going so crazy about... this game looks nice but it doesn't look like it warrants the shock and awe its receiving. I might check it out if it drops to less than $5, but there is no way I'm dropping $10 for this game

4. Zander951

Zander951 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    I think that this game looks good but short. Considering that there are only 36 lvls and they have been working on this game for quite some time it just looks like its to short. Though i could be wrong im not putting down any money till someone comes out with a real review.

5. romeo1

romeo1 Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Overhyped for sure, but I will try it when it drops bellow $5.

6. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I don't think it's as overhyped as NFS is... I've been playing the game for a while and I think it's actually pretty fun. I was really worried about beating the whole game (36 levels) in just an hour or so, but I've been playing about 1.5-2 hours and I'm only on level 8. I'm hoping they add some levels because truthfully, I can't see too much replay value right now (at least on the first few levels).

I think the game is a little overhyped but I also think it's definitely worth the $10. If you loved Loco Roco, it's probably worth $15 to you :)

That's what I think

7. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    ohh ohh me!

8. Diggity Dan

Diggity Dan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Ninja (..no really I swear)
    [480] :: AZ
    Eh.. I haven't had the itch to buy it yet. Looks cute and very well done.. but it's the kind of game I know I'd play for a short time and then never touch again. But then that's just my taste in games :p I'll pick it up once the price eventually drops.

9. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    I just wonder how many of these people who say it is over-hyped did not like LocoRoco as well.

I have yet to get it, but seeing as I loved LocoRoco and many are saying it is quite like it, I may just have to put my $10 down on this.

After I play a few more hours of SimCity, of course :D

10. people are really killin' this for me -_-"

11. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    #31 Chase, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
    Alright, I have to jump in and add my opinion.
    And let's do it this way: I'm going to cover anyone's concerns or doubts of buying this. And I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible. I had doubts myself, and even going in and telling myself not to get my hopes up and it will probably not live up to the hype.

Graphics/Artwork: For anyone who's saying that the graphics are "childish" or "cute", it's true. But that shouldn't be a reason not to buy this. The gameplay really shines here and the beautiful graphics are just icing on the cake. And they aren't so "adorable" that it makes you feel embarrassed while playing it, or like you're too old for it. They're just right. The artwork was created by an artist by the name of Mikko Walamies who does some really great stuff. I've seen some of his work and it's all kind of happy and simple, yet very stylized and recognizable. It almost feels familiar. And when you play the game and watch all the graphics collide on-screen, it's really satisfying. And let me say this: if you're looking for an app that looks good, and even just to show off, this is a $10 well spent.

Gameplay: Like I said, it really shines. And it does take some getting used to, but you'll almost be teaching yourself some techniques you can use while playing. The levels get somewhat extensive and some will even take you a good chunk of time to complete. And if you're playing on the bus, you won't feel ridiculous. The tilts you make aren't so big that you'll look stupid. Trust me on this. The only time you'll be flipping your phone around is on the bonus levels where it's a "Rock n' Roll"-esque maze, and there's only one of those for each world (as far as I know).

Flaws: While flaws are few and far between, there's some slight control issues. For instance, with the spiky Rolando, there's sometimes some difficulty moving on curved landscape. Or sometimes when you mean to jump, you only deselect the Rolando(s). They're not enough to take you away from the experience, but they're there. But everyone buying it should know that you eventually get used to it and the problems almost become nonexistent.

I have to get back to work now, but I hope this covers some concerns. This is by far the best game on my iPhone, and I hope you download it. It surpasses hype. Trust me or not.

12. ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Kind of a weird question. I really didn't like Loco Roco for the PSP, I found the tilting tedious, mainly when there were multiple "balls" you're trying to control. Is Rolando the same way?

13. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    I'm definitely not excited about rolondo,it's just a nice platform game that use the iphone touch screen and tilt control,despite the graphic gayness.
    But it's worth the price,I'm playing it right now.

14. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    #34 Chase, Dec 18, 2008
    Well, there's a "call" system where you only select the Rolandos you want to control. So you can either move just one at a time, several at a time, or all. I tend to stick to one at a time on the levels where precision is needed, but it's nice to move all when there's a sense that it's more convenient.

Also, let me say this: This is not Loco Roco. This is a really unique game in it's own category. I'm not even sure what to compare it to, really. But there's only a hint of Loco Roco floating in this game. Others may disagree, but I find it much different from Loco Roco; and if you're looking for a clone, this isn't it.

15. HandheldGames

HandheldGames Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    CEO & Founder, Creative Director, Producer, & Desi
    Lynnwood, Washington
    #35 HandheldGames, Dec 18, 2008
    Pass it on to ngmoco for a great advertising blitz. Look at the reskin of TouchArcade. There are no other sponsors / advertisers. Anyone remember "The Matrix" from Atari? Sold a million+ on pre-orders on marketing hype. Atari knew they had a lemon so they kept it out of the hands of reviewers.... created a lot of hype and after everyone bought it - they realized what they had.

Not saying it's a lemon - but a effective and well spent marketing campaign can sell product!

Thx!
    HHG

16. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I think it looks good, but I'm not as excited as most people it seems. I'm pretty hooked on a couple different games right now, so I haven't really considered this much yet. I'm pretty sure it's inevitable that I going to get it at some point.

17. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    I know it's hard for me to sound objective on this, since the ad campaign is involved with TouchArcade.... but, my opinion would be the same if TA was not involved.

I say good for them. Marketing hype is missing from the App Store equation. It will go a long way to legitimizing the platform and paving the way for higher end titles (aka "better" titles). There's no way a company could afford to pay for a marketing blitz for a $0.99 app. There's just no way to make up the return. There's also no way to invest 8 months in development without a high expected return.

So, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

arn

18. KittyGotSued

KittyGotSued Active Member

Dec 15, 2008
    omfg..I laughed so loud whe I read this!

Family Guy rules!

Anyway..Rolando is not my cup of tea.. totally not excited about this..

19. HandheldGames

HandheldGames Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    CEO & Founder, Creative Director, Producer, & Desi
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Absolutely. Some of the players with $$$ in the industry are spending their $$$ wisely. There has been little marketing from the Gameloft powerhouse, yet their games march straight up the top 100. Their titles easily cost between 500k and 1mil+ and they are in it for the haul with a HUGH pile of cash to get themselves there. EA is following suit. THQ is there but not nearly as serious.

YET.... at the .99 price point, Freeverse appears to be getting small ad space here and there. Granted their games are of a different smaller scope than ngmoco, but are very applicable to the platform.

Thx!
    HHG

20. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I bought it I like it BUT.... 36 levels? thats not very much:mad: