Who is excited for Gears of War 2?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Rocketman919, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    lol. U sir are a liar! Why the hell would u beat the game in "every difficulty" if u found the controls "botchy" and didnt enjoy the game? What ur saying makes no sense...hooah!

2. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I just picked up gears 2 on my lunch break. if you buy it from circuit city, it comes with a free $20.00 microsoft points card.
    which I'll be using to finally buy Braid :D

I think it's just today and tomorrow.

3. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Ah Braid... the best game released this year in my opinion. Iphone port?

4. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    that would be sweet. I've just played the trial version but I'm looking forward to the full thing. I thought I'd wait as I had just been sucked into Bionic Commando, and Castle Crashers. then nearly forgot about it once I picked up the orange box and went on a portal/halflife binge... (just started episode 2).
    between that, Dead Space, gears 2, and braid. I'm gonna have my hands full for a while....

speaking of portal...
    has anybody tried the new downloadable challenge rooms?
    I beat the first 14 or 18 levels or whatever, but then there's still a bunch of locked ones too. anybody know how to unlock them? I must need some sort of achievements or something...

5. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I'm waiting to get orange box on sale. The price has never dropped, and its been out for a year. I really hope the Braid dev ports it to iphone. It's so simplistic, I think it would actually work. But yeah, back to Gears 2 - Meh

6. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I got it for $30 brand new. you can probably find it used for even cheaper

7. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    no offence, but you think gears is too scripted but like cod4. I hate too scripted games, but loved gears. I was not a huge fan of cod online, but loved halo 3. I don't understand why some people hate halo. I can understand preferring each one for their own reasons, but neither are bad, I prefer Halo but have my, I think valid, reasons.

But onto gears, definetly I will love it, bots for multiplayer if icant contend with the nerds or crazy good people. Longer story, base defending mode. I also want lots of games in the near future:
    Gow2, farcry2, fallout3, mirrors edge, endwar, cod5, halo wars, lotr conquest, and more

8. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I didn't get into COD online either. Everybody is so damn good at it. and to me it seems like every time you raise your gun, half of the screen gets covered up, including your target.
    I didn't get terribly into halo3 multiplayer, but I did find it a bit more enjoyable.
    I didn't get into gears 1 multiplayer either, but it looks like they're bringing a lot to the table for number two.

I recently downloaded halo 1. can I play that online? I never had an original xbox, but I would play it with my friends a lot in high school so I'm pretty familiar with that multiplayer. (back when the pistol was worth a damn)

9. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    [​IMG]

Yay for GOW2! Been playing since lunch and it's great so far.

10. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I take your point about cod4 being scripted. - for that reason I haven't even finished its campaign. But the freedom of the multiplayer has made it my fave online game. Gears online, it's just kinda boring for me. Fallout 3, now that's a game

11. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I don't understand how anyone can love Gaylo. Especially Gaylo 3. My god, the last boss on campaign mode was a floating cube or ball (can't remember)! And online play sucks, everyone just jumps around with a sword or shotgun. This game requires no skill whatsoever to play unlike Gears where u can actually use the environment to ur advantage. Also, the machine-gun-chainsaw, by itself, is better than Gaylo 3...

12. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I think that sorta sums up the difference. For me, I don't get off on gratuitous violence. More gameplay. The chainsaw thing's just a gimmick. It doesn't even work unless you are in the perfect position to use it. Halo, however, doesn't rely on predetermined animations like the chainsaw thing. It's all open play - realistic physics, vehicles, and balanced weapons. In my opinion, Halo and COD both have more gameplay variety and general fun than Gears. I think Gears ' popularity is more based around its 'hardcore' content than its actual gameplay, which sucks.

13. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Whut? How is jumping multiple stories with a space-man suit realistic physics?...Yes, like i said before, Gears gameplay is more complicated i.e. realistic which is why most don't wanna play. Kinda like how they hate Super Monkey Ball: too lazy to learn the controls. And what weapons are better in Gaylo than on Gears? As far as i remember all guns in Gaylo are plasma guns or crappy normal-bullet guns. I do agree however that the online-play was not so great on Gears, just not enough playable characters or environments. Everything else was there: i remember chopping people in half with my 'saw, awesome!

14. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    you see, in my opinion, I thought that the single player was better, my problem with call of duty 4 online is quite often whoever sees someone else first gets the kill, also some of the perks were just to damn annoying for me. The class system was great, but the actual fighting itself got me angry.
    I preferred halo to gears due to even 4 on 4 seemed to be bigger even though the amount of players was the same, but the added bonuses are enough fir me.

15. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Halo's weapons are better than gears', and I don't know how that can be argued. A plasma rifle that freezes people as you shoot, a plasma pistol that removes shields when used skilfully, a gun that shoots shards of explosive glass (oh gears has this too - rip-off), a gravity hammer, and a sword. Gears has variants on a machine gun, pretty much.
    When I talked about realistic physics, I meant a physics engine that works - you shoot a vehicle underneath it with a rocket, and it flies airborne. As far as I'm concerned, gears' vehicle section ( if it could be called that) is the worst gaming experience available.
    Oh, and controls don't worry me - I love super monkey ball

16. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    >Gears' sniper rifle is at least 10X betta than the one on Gaylo.
    >Gears has frickin' exploding arrows
    >Hammer of Dawn: 'nuff said

"a plasma rifle that freezes people..." i don't remember such weapon in Gaylo3. Gaylo may have more weapons but none as creative and as powerful as the chainsaw-gun and hammer of dawn (respectively).

17. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Agree to disagree? ;)

18. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Sure why not :cool:...

19. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Horde mode is badass. Add my gamertag if anyone wants to play. got to wave 45 last night

BATTLEBORNVEGAS

20. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

Weeeeeeeeeeeee ..i just finish GOW2 !!! wwEEEEEEEEeee ..!!
    :D:rolleyes::cool: