iPad White House Escape - Text Adventure / some graphics

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by schplurg, Feb 3, 2009.

1. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Has anybody tried this game?

AppStore Link

Says it's a text adventure with some graphics. It takes place in The White House and supposedly uses actual floor plans. Looks interesting. Curious if anybody has tried this yet...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    White House Escape

I would love to try this game but it is not compatible with the first generation iPod Touch. I have contacted the developer and hope this will be corrected soon.

3. schplurg

Good morning, just wole up! Has anyone tried this yet? Or shall I just go for it :)

4. tangerine

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    This is the answer I got from the developer re: first generation iPod Touch compatibility. Does this make any sense to anybody??? I am just amazed..... He seems to be referring to the update that allows Touch users to use the App Store apps, right?

it appears that first generation device support may not be available in the near future due to to the mechanical SDK requirements. Not exactly the answer we would like to give you, but as an option perhaps you could consider the iPod Touch Second Generation upgrade from Apple as a cost effective way to extend the functionality and lifetime of your current device. In the meanwhile we will be looking at adding support for first generation devices, but there is no date.

It might be good to note that the update to take your first generation touch to second generation is now half the price of its original release ($10 instead of 20). As we understand it, this will allow you access to all second generation titles (including ours as well as other new titles on the App Store - and a quick examination showed that the bulk of new titles do require the 2.0 update). Plus there is additional functionality that the update gives you, including:

push e-mail with Microsoft Exchange support, updated language and keyboard support, searchable contacts, support for MobileMe, multiple calendars, a calculator that switches from standard to scientific when you turn the touch sideways, support for viewing a broader variety of e-mail attachments (iWork and PowerPoint files, specifically), mass delete and moving of e-mail messages, parental controls, and the ability to take a screenshot of the iPod's interface by holding the Home button and then briefly pressing the Sleep/Wake button.

The update is available from Apple through the iTunes software. Please be sure to do a complete backup before attempting any upgrade (this is true for all devices).

5. tangerine

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Update: Just got another email from the developer who did as I suggested and checked the App Store application and corrected it to allow first generation Touch users to play the game. The change should show up soon. Yay!

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up on this one. Looks interesting, and, as always, I'm such a sucker for any adventure game, particularly subgenres of adventure games that are very rare in the wild nowadays (audio adventures, text adventures, FMV adventures).

7. tangerine

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Let us know what you think of the game. I am waiting for a couple of reviews before I buy it, OK?

8. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    That developer had no clue what he was talking about, kind of a funny email.

9. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Isn't it impossible to download apps without the upgrade? LOL! Strange dev. At least he fixed the problem :D

10. iAdventureGame

Feb 4, 2009
    @tangerine - thanks again for your patience. I have learned my lesson about trying to answer too many emails at once...

Like a lot of the gamers out there, I have enjoyed many classic adventure games and wanted to see them ported to a modern device in a handy pick up and play form. In doing so, I know that we may miss the mark on a few of the details along the way. That is where the feedback is so important to us.

Not trying to take your time for my market research, but let me ask everyone a couple questions, if I may.

1. Are adventures based on real locations or fictional ones more interesting? (this may depend on the adventure, true).

2. Does a demo (such as the first floor of White House Escape, for example) help with evaluating a game or considering it for purchase?

Willing to listen to all feedback on these points or any others you may have. Be to the point - we're engineers, we're used to it. :)

Honestly, I am not trying to sell games here. I am trying to make the games we sell better (which in the long run will sell more games. But then you probably expected that).

Thanks, and pardon the interruption,
    Greg Chaffins
    iAdventureGame

And yes, on most days I do not have a clue. But I have learned to cope, with varying degrees of success.

11. No Hero

No Hero Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008

Ah i know what he means... I think he is talking about firmware, and from a friend who has a touch, he had to pay $10 to allow the downloading of apps. (probably included in the price now?) not first gen/second gen ipods.

12. schplurg

1. If the story is good I think a real location would be great, I've never played one before. Reminds of movies like National Treasure...the familiarity of the material draws you in (if you're from USA).

2. Yes demos are good, in fact I would say essential. This is being proven more and more in the store.

Thanks for joining in and welcome to the forum :)

13. tangerine

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Hi Greg,

I much prefer real locations for games and it would be helpful to have a lite version available.

Life is a learning process. I am so glad I was able to help.

Lyda (tangerine)

14. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Real World locations really draw a gamer into the world, much like a good novel (like Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code and Angels&Demons). Of course, the onus is then on you the programmer to actually be familiar with those locations too, in order to depict it properly.

15. iAdventureGame

Feb 4, 2009
    Wow, information and a hardy welcome. Thanks for both.

So, I see that a demo/lite version is pretty much a requirement. This makes sense - after all, there are a lot of us developers out there (did someone say a dime a dozen?), many with less than the best intentions. And even then, the best intentions can miss the mark.

On the topic of real vs fictional location, it is interesting that the ideal of the real location adding a believable element to the game was mentioned. That was our attraction to it as well. Even in the case of a famous place that may not be familiar to most (such as the third floor of the White House Residence), simply the knowledge that it is a real place seems (to me) to add to the authenticity. I'm glad to see the thought reciprocated. Our next adventure will no doubt be set in a real location.

I was going to ask about a free application running ads vs an inexpensive (couple dollars) app with no ads, but to tell you the truth I do not like the ideal of paying for a device and THEN having it put someone's ad in my face for an extended period time. So unless something drastically changes I am not going to persue that particular option. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the welcome and the invaluable feedback. Any and all, keep it coming -this is invaluable.

Have a good one,
    Greg Chaffins
    www.iAdventureGame.com

16. schplurg

I'll bite! :D

Downloading...

Will post some feedback by tomorrow...getting late here.

17. schplurg

Pretty good so far. I really like theway the game works, and the map is nice to have - unlike early text adventure games. I'm keeping a few notes as I progress though, just so I can remember where certain things are.

There are a lot of empty rooms. It would be cool if there were more things to look at, even if they didn't help finish the game. Maybe some of the paintings, or photos of the rooms.

Gonna keep going now...I know I said i would comment on this tomorrow but...well...I like it and I didn't want to wait!

18. schplurg

I finished it!

Already.

Was really good, but pretty short. I played it in one sitting. I was actually hoping it would be quite a bit longer but oh well.

The game is well made. I wish more game elements, puzzles etc, were packed into it. It would be cool if there was a built-in memo pad to jot down notes. Would come in handy if the game was longer.

I hope the dev(s) make a much bigger game using this same game engine. Nice job here. Worth $2 I guess...I think. ;)

19. iAdventureGame

Feb 4, 2009
    Schplurg, I am duly impressed - I think you could beat me through the game, and I know it rather well. Obviously we have underestimated the abilities of the gaming public - or at least the really smart ones. You just blew through our attempt at balancing the game for casual players.

Great feedback - see if I get this right.
    1. Be nice to have a place to keep notes.
    2. More things to look at, even if they do not impact the game.

And most of all, it needs to be much longer/harder/devious, especially for the hardcore group. (Yes, more devious <insert evil laugh here>).

These are great points, and we will try to incorporate the notes feature into the engine for the next release.

thanks!
    Greg Chaffins
    www.iAdventureGame.com

20. iAdventureGame

Feb 4, 2009
    I cannot tell you again how much the feedback is appreciated. We have attempted to take this into consideration for all future titles as well as the latest version of White House Escape. The update is free, if you want to give it a try. (FYI - The major changes, outside of the graphics, start after you get off the first floor)

Thanks and Have a Great Day,
    Greg Chaffins
    iAdventureGame

New for White House Escape 2.0

-All rooms now have pictures (as only the items did previously).
    -Gameplay is much longer, with more puzzles to solve and challenges to meet.
    -Integrated persistent notes within the application - comes in handy for the new game play.
    -New Game Start and Ending.
    -Use screen now shows pictures of both items used
    -Many more items to use and explore.
    -All around a much more robust adventure game experience.

(Please note that due to the changed and expanded game structure any current automatic game saves on version 1.0 will be erased and automatic saves will start fresh with version 2.0).