Universal Whirl the Squirrel by Dioxis Mining (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sink_or_swim, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks Andy:)
    Boy that sounds like unprofessional reviewing. This is an outstanding game that oozes quality compared to the usual offerings on the app store
    And yes it is a satisfying game especially when you succeed on tough levels with a little help from your friends!

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    That's horrible!!! I beat stage 3 on my third time through... Though I just today got a gold time thanks to you. =oP

But still... I hate reading reviews where it's clear the reviewer didnt spend more than 10-15 minutes with the game.

=o(

3. DustCloud13

DustCloud13 Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2013
    USA
    I beat level 1-3 today. It was difficult, but definitely not impossible.
    -For the update, I agree that changing the orange blob would be good. It took me a few tries before I realized that it was not just an orange colored flower and that it was making me LOSE flowers :D.
    -For skipping levels, I personally hate prompts that ask to skip a level, so I would prefer a skip level button. Or maybe you could keep a running total of the number of flowers collected by the player and have those used to purchase a skip?
    -I hope the future levels won't be too easy because I'm enjoying the challenge.

On another note, I officially got onto the leaderboard now! I'm third... out of four.

4. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I like the game but really don't care for how you have to initiate the big jumps where the pink crystal areas are. Pressing jump to charge then pressing the right directional button to jump just seems backwards and screws me up most of the time. Can't wrap my head around letting go of the right button and then holding jump to charge and not jump, then press right again to jump!?! Just feels wrong to let go of the right button when that's the way I'm running, then press it again to jump and not press the jump button to jump. Am I the only one finding this confusing? Why can't it just be hold jump while running through the crystals and let go when at the end to jump?

5. DioxisMining

DioxisMining Active Member

Thanks for all the comments on the review, everyone. And thanks for going to the site and posting about it. iFanZine just put a message up on the review saying that they'll be happy to look at it again once the update is out (that means I have make sure _everything_ is perfect in the update, so keep the comments coming).

Dustcloud: perhaps a skip level button could pop up in the upper right hand corner once you fail to complete a level once. Something like what Run Roo Run has (except mine will be free, of course). That's pretty simple. And no, future levels aren't easy, exactly, but won't be as hard as 1-3, that's for sure. I think they're all very easily beatable after a couple or few attempts.

Snooptalian: That's actually exactly how it works ^_^ If you're running into/over some Cliff Crystals, just keep holding run while pressing jump to charge it up. You never have to release anything. Ever! The jump will just happen by itself. Give it a shot in 1-1. There are plenty of crystals there to test it on. Question: Is there something in the first tutorial balloons that would have helped clarify the way it works? (see below comment about tutorials if you want to check them out again). I'll be happy to update the tutorial text.

Oh, and if anyone ever wants to reset the tutorials in 1-1 and 1-2, there's a trashcan icon on the main play screen to do just that. Did anyone ever want that? Maybe it's a little hidden.

6. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #66 syntheticvoid, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    I think you're making it harder than it really is... You don't let go of your directional button, you just hold the jump while in the crystal area then let go of it when you're in the air. Nothing to do with the directional button...

**is anyone else worried user input is going to totally ruin this game?

7. DioxisMining

Hopefully user input only makes it better ^_^ And, to be picky, you don't even have to release jump when you're in the air. Nothing bad will happen. If you're running and you're over the crystals, just keep running, hold jump, and the big jump will happen by itself.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Even with the "secret", I'm still struggling with the Skydive level. I'm not complaining because I know it's doable. I just suck at it.
    Although still not sure I'd hit 100, it's that last portion than kills me those. A bit too twisty to avoid the "anti-flowers". I'll
    Keep at it and get it eventually.

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #69 syntheticvoid, Jun 24, 2013
    Yeah... I just found that if I don't let go of the jump button while in the air, I don't until I need to jump again, and that just screws me all up. =oP

**and about my comment... We can hope... But I've seen many an iOS game ruined simply because people didnt give the game a fair chance or didnt take the time to understand how it was meant to be played and blasted the dev because of it. The result? Changed gameplay mechanics, easier difficulties and even a complete departure from the core gameplay.

Just really loving this game, and I hope that doesn't happen here...

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'm having such a hard time nailing the jump into the secret area on 1-4...

Hehe

But really... I need to move on and come back to it. My desire to perfect stages before moving on would ensure I don't finish this one for months... =oP

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
  12. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    #72 Capricornman, Jun 24, 2013
    I'll vote for this game only because its driving me crazy! Icy Angles level is insane...I've found the secret place and activated slow down time but it didn't matter. The speed of the game and the fact that I feel the controls frustrate me at times. Also my eyes get visually buggy at times with what's going on:) Maybe I'm getting too old
    Constantly missing jumps and either being frozen or tossed back down. It seems like a tightrope walk at times:D
    FUN
    What I'm trying to say is don't make the game easier in updates :)

13. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Fun game, but not easy to get 3 star. Hight retry ability.

14. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Yeah, now I feel really stupid. Over thinking the obvious I guess. I knew it couldn't be as difficult as I was making it. Totally misread the tutorial. ):

15. Shan82

Shan82 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Songwriter.
    USA
    This game is like Sonic and Tiny Wings rolled into one! Love it rating 5 stars! :D

16. DioxisMining

Oh no everyone, Whirl's being beaten out of the top 3 in the GOW. Please vote. I hope a Top 3 spot will help me get a TouchArcade review, which would help a lot with getting this game out there.

syntheticvoid, do want any tips on the 1-4 secret? No?

capricornman, so you love the difficulty of 1-4, even the triple enemy hit around the secret? I'm glad. That's what gaming was about on NES and SNES back when I was a kid. Some things were just hard. Does anyone remember Dr. Wily's stage in Mega Man 1? Now _that_ was hard.

Shan82, I'm going to quote you on that. Thanks.

Again, please vote in the GOW: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=193796

I'm off to keep programming the update. Have fun everyone.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This seriously has to be one of the most confusing things I've ever read in my life...especially considering how easy it is to do those jumps. >_>

18. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Are you sure about that? :)
    Seriously, I think this game is way harder than Sonic. I suck at Sonic games too, but at least I can complete those at my own pace. I like those "race a ghost" or "get a minimum amount of x" levels in other platformers, but they're usually optional goals for when you finished a level/game.

I think the game mostly suffers from way too cute graphics and overall polish so that people don't expect a game that is really only for hardcore gamers. Maybe a line of text in the description about how this is a difficult game would help manage expectations?

19. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Unfortunately Icy Angles is beginning to frustrate. I've studied the course, know the hidden place and have used slow down time too. I've played this level countless times and have had near to flawless runs even using time slow down and still I get beaten. Seems next to impossible and my hat goes off to those who have beaten this level. Unless there's another hidden route I haven't discovered I'm going to have to put the game away for awhile.
    :(

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Kind of agree with the last two posts. I love the concepts and gameplay, but dang is it hard. Still struggling with 1-3 myself. Not saying the game should be overhauled by any means but when I can get further in games I expected to be hard (like Super Meat Boy and League of Evil) then that's saying something about the difficulty of this game. Particularly to have the difficulty ramp up so quickly does make for a frustrating game.

Again, don't change the game for the sake of a few of us that suck at it. Obviously there are people are getting further. Just because it's too brutal for me doesn't mean it isn't a great game.

I just can't spend hours on one level when I've got a ton of other stuff to play.

Anyway, fantastic job on the game, but I think I may need to put this aside for a while myself and give it another whirl sometime and maybe it'll begin to click with me.