Universal Whirl the Squirrel by Dioxis Mining (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sink_or_swim, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Ah!! Bizboozle is saved at 53.03 seconds. Getting whirl to jump now. Thanks synth:)
    Fun game

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    No problem-o!

3. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    #43 Capricornman, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
    At the moment on level Skydive it seems impossible to get 100 flowers!!!
    It's showing that I've never played this on GC?
    Do I have to finish the first world for my time score to show.
    It's a shame there's only three players on the GC leaderboard.

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes, you have to finish a world before your time shows...

And yeah - that level was kinda hard, especially at the end. But you'll get it. =oD

5. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    A small tip for Skydive:

At the begining of the level jump straight up, then jump left...

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Haven't played it much yet, but gave into the pressure. Seems like a game you really need to play for a while to get used to it, but definitely seems like it'll be a blast.

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    oh holy crap!!!

That just opened up the whole game for me! =oO

8. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Ok!!
    Andy , why are you so clever?:D

9. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Oh great so I may never make it:D just kidding.....I hope

10. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Very hard just to jump him up to the left. I press jump and he floats there then I press left and jump and he misses the upper left track....

11. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    There's another invisible ledge, below the upper left track... :)

12. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    That's how I felt when I discovered that secret. I love things like that in games. :D

To be this good takes AGES. :cool:

No, seriously, it took me a long time to find that secret. :eek:

13. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the info....wow this game even has invisible things...I love it:)

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    As a love it or hate it kind of game, think I fall squarely on the love side, but damn do I suck. I can't get past the level with the 100 flowers! Suffering from not doing very well with the falling portions, hitting way too many anti-flowers (or whatever they are). Took me quite a while to get past the first few levels just to win the race. But this level is hitting me like a brick wall. Wish there was a way to skip it but need to just plug away at it.

15. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Ok I've made it up twice into the secret passage way to the left but it still leads back to the same areas where it's as tough as nails and I can't get 100 flowers:(
    This game is just too difficult
    I'm going to rest from it for now
    This was my only purchase this week so.....

16. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Yeah, the option to skip levels occurred to me aswell as something that people might want.

As for the Skydive level, there's a secret at the start of the level that should help, I wrote about that in an earlier post. Apart from that, the best things to do are make sure to not get hit by any enemies or things, each hit loses you 10 flowers. And obviously avoiding the anti-flowers. It's tricky, especially near the end, but you'll soon get that left-right rhythm going. :)

17. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    #57 Capricornman, Jun 23, 2013
    I just played one more on Skydive. I had 93 flowers just before the last zigzag free fall and I hit those anti flowers and finished with 60 something flowers:(
    Edit: I just took two more kicks at the can. I finished the race with 99 flowers! Then I tried again and got 106 flowers!... I did it yippee!!!!
    Thanks synth and Andy:)

18. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I'm really glad you made it. :)

I just read a review of Whirl the Squirrel which specifically mentions 1-3 being a serious problem. In fact, they called 1-3 "impossible" to beat, and promptly awarded the game 1/5 because of that. I found that incredibly disappointing, to be honest.

It's obvious that 1-3 is a big spike in difficulty compared to 1-1 and 1-2, the developer himself has responded and said he'll be tweaking 1-3. But it's not "impossible". I'm hardly the world's best gamer, and I can beat 1-3 easily every time now. But for a professional reviewer to give a game 1/5 because he's crap at it is irresponsible, and very frustrating.

19. DioxisMining

DioxisMining Active Member

Good job on beating level 1-3 everyone. I've been reading your posts and can see it's been tough (rewarding, I hope, too). So great job!! Nice secret give-a-way Andy_C63. I'm always cool with that. Some of them are hard to find, as they should be, of course.

I have 2 requests of everyone, if you don't mind:
    1) iFanZine just reviewed the game and gave it a terrible score mostly because of level 1-3 (they couldn't beat it). If you like the game, and get that it's a little tough some times, could you whip over there and give a higher "user rating" for me (there are stars to click). It would really help (http://ifanzine.com/whirl-the-squirrel-review/). A comment at the bottom about it being great would be cool too.

2) The intense difficulty of level 1-3 has been a big theme these past few days, so I'm going to whip out an update as quickly as I can do it and Apple can review it. Here's what I'll be changing, please give me feedback and suggestions:
    - I'll make 1-3 much, much easier.
    - I might change the orange blob to something more visibly "evil" (like a stone block with a big X on it). Sound good or no?
    - I'll make some other future levels that I know are hard a bit easier.
    - I'll put in a way to skip levels. This is the big one. I don't want people to have to buy anything, so should I just put a "skip level" button in the options (could use on every level), or perhaps have a "Have trouble? Want to skip this level?" prompt come up after someone's failed to beat a level 2 or 3 times?

Any other levels or parts of levels that are killing you? Let me know so I can fix them.

Thoughts on the above changes, and any others you all want, would be greatly appreciated. I'll make every positive change I can in this new update.

Thanks everyone

20. DioxisMining

DioxisMining Active Member

#60 DioxisMining, Jun 23, 2013
    Thank you for the comments on the review Andy_C63 *bows*, thank you. I couldn't agree more. 1-3 may be hard, but the game is great fun. Feel free to comment on the review (everyone here), say your peace, and ask the reviewer for a re-review (could mention my coming update). I'll be eternally grateful ^_^

Edit: Andy, I just read your comments on the review site. Awesome!