Universal Whirl the Squirrel by Dioxis Mining (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sink_or_swim, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

3/5*

*= I don`t like it. Some Core Gameplay Decisions just simple are killing it for my and the third Run made sure I won`t replay/install the Game again while Games like Sonic/Raymen are staying on my iPad since Years.

I guess it`s one of those Games where you either hate it from Day One or like it and I to be honest hate it.

2. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    This is absolutely not my type of game.. way too fast. It will take forever to reach the second world.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Hmm...very polorizing game it seems.

Debating whether to try it or save the money to go towards catching up on some games I couldn't play on my 3GS.

4. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I love the speed! Not many platformers like this on the appstore. Comparison to Sonic is fitting in that regard (also because you really have to be careful not to lose that speed). Graphics are great too, and I like the story. And it works on my 3GS! All great. I am a bit worried about the difficulty level (I'm finding the first levels rather difficult just to finish, let alone go for golds), but I hope I'll just need to get used to the game.

5. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #25 Andy C83, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
    Some levels have secret areas that can have an item that stops the time; or going the secret way could be a shortcut. Helpful for finishing the level/getting a good time. Tricky to find them though, so go slowly at first, learn the route and find the secret areas. :)

Edit: It's possible to earn gold times without finding the secret areas; I know because I did it. But the secrets make it easier. :)

6. DioxisMining

DioxisMining Active Member

Thanks for the game comments, everyone. I'm extremely happy with all the positive comments from people. I'm glad a lot of people are having a ball playing the game. I really tried to make something different.

Gabrien. Putting in some additional control options is no problem at all for me. It's on my list now. Glad you like the game.

psj3809. *lol* I never once thought people would think it was an auto-runner (like you mentioned, you have full control over the character). I think I'll mention that in the description and put some controls on a screenshot, all in the next update. Good point.

lena. I saw you mention your iPad 1 in another forum. If you haven't tried it on there, go for it. It runs perfectly. Glad you like the story and graphics. I think Whirl is an absolutely great character, personally. Who wouldn't want to help him get his Things back?

Thanks again for all the discussion, everyone. Keep it coming. Please let your friends know about the game via email, Twitter, and Facebook. I'm an indie dev, so all the help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and if you like the game, please vote on the first page of this thread, and/or vote in the game of the week threat. I see some you did.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=193796&highlight=week

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DioxisMining
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/pages/Dioxis-Mining/500167290052715

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Alrighty... just finished World 1 - and I'm totally diggin this one.

It reminds me of Sonic so much... not really the same mechanics or anything, but the speed and replaying of levels in order to 'memorize' them, getting the best time you can. I've gone through and replayed each one of World 1's stages trying to get gold times and find the secret areas... and it's just been a complete blast.

As surprising as this might sound, right now, I'm having a hard time deciding on whether Spiral, X-COM or Whirl is going to get my GOTW vote... it's THAT good. =oD

8. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    This looks and sounds good

9. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I think this game requires a different approach from traditional runners/platformers. If you go into it trying to play through the levels and "do well" right away you're either going to catch on and change tack quick smart or become frustrated. The game actually appears to task you with learning each level, before you attempt to play through it "properly". You need to take your time at first, forget about "winning", and just learn a level and plan how to get through it. Your plan will probably evolve as you get better. Hundredths of seconds can be shaved off everywhere. There is really quite tremendous depth.

It might still not be your thing in the end, but if you're trying to play it like just another runner/platformer, you aren't really giving yourself a chance to find out.

10. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the advice in how to rethink this game Gabrien. I'm getting beat in the first race but I'm starting to observe things in the race. It is quite a different approach to a runner
    Lots of fun!

11. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    That's great to know, thanks! I don't usually play games on my phone because the iPad is so much better, but I don't really like virtual controls on the iPad, so I made an exception and bought this for my phone. I'm glad to hear you're going to implement control options, that would help for iPad. The best option is completely customizable controls, as in (for example) Mos Speedrun. Or of course iCade. That would be really great for this game.

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Andy - damnit why do you have to be so damn good at games?? Grrr... I need to cut out like a full minute before even coming close to your time. =oP

13. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #33 Andy C83, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    We all have to be good at something, right? :p

Here are my times for the 1st World for whoever's interested.

Attached Files:

14. DioxisMining

#34 DioxisMining, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    Original Artwork

Hey everyone, here's a piece of original, previously unseen artwork for Whirl the Squirrel. My amazing artist sketched this for the loading screen. Below it I've included the final iPhone 5 version so you can see how it progressed. I've also posted it on Facebook and Twitter if you want to share it, retweet it, or comment on it.

So enjoy, let me know what you think, and feel free to share it. I'm happy for people to see the game's artwork.

Sketch on Twitter
    Sketch on Facebook

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. DioxisMining

lena, I've downloaded Mos Speedrun and will check it out, and see about iCade, too. Thanks for the tips.

Andy_C83, those are some great time, especially the one for Breakdown. You must have got every single Time Freeze icon _and_ the secret finish line to get that.

16. DioxisMining

Whirl music

Everyone, I just Tweeted a link to my fantastic musician's profile page. He has the Whirl the Squirrel gameplay and intro/trailer music on there. If anyone wants to take a listen, here it is:
    https://soundcloud.com/mjomusic

17. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #37 Andy C83, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
    Thanks, I think I put together quite a good run on that level. :)

The Gold time for Switchback is 1:07.00 and my best time is 1:07.03. :eek: There are no secrets in that level and I'm not seeing any time stop thingies. Got any tips for me? :eek:

Thanks. :D

Edit: Done it. :D

18. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Could some kind person help me with the controls ? I'm having a hard time making Whirl jump. My technique is no good, I usually press the jump button too long and its a feeble jump and he falls downward ! Thanks

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Holding the jump button in the pink crystal areas - you don't need to let go of it to make those bigger jumps...

And pressing the jump button twice will cause him to do a butt stomp... which (for some reason) stacks up - so if you're pressing the jump button over and over again, he'll keep doing butt stomps even after you've stopped mashing the jump button.

I hope that helps... if not... I have no clue. =o/

20. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks:) looks like I've been doing butt stomps galore! The controls tutorial flew by so quick and I can't seem to review them again in game. I shall take your advice and maybe I can complete the first race. I guess I'm a slow learner in a fast world