Whining about app prices, "this should be 99c"

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by JindoFox, Dec 14, 2009.

1. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ugh, this kind of whining makes me sick. These are games, developed for our pleasure and so the developers can make a few bucks. Every time an app is listed for more than 99 cents, there's always a line of chuckleheads complaining about the "high cost." While I believe that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, I find this particular opinion tedious and uninteresting.

I'm going to start an ignore list of everyone I see in the forums whining about stuff that costs more than a dollar (or free). In the meantime, it would be great if the moderators could flex their muscles a little bit about this issue.

2. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    agreed but whatever

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Well I guess you should ignore half the site complaining about eliminate. It's their choice to use it for free or not.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Whining about whining about app prices?!? :rolleyes:

5. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I lol'd :)

People will always complain about app prices, and thats because each individual has their own view on how much an app should cost. I've never really complained about the price of a game that I can remember; I don't mind paying for an app. I did however, speak out against the pricing of Canabalt. $3 for such shallow gameplay, imo, is overpriced. Now I'm not starting a flamewar, I'm just stating my opinion. And I can see where others are coming from who also speak out against the price, because they think of all the other games in the $3 pricing category that offer much deeper gameplay. I can also see where the other side comes in, simply saying, don't buy it. You're not being forced to.

All in all, this topic has been discussed to death in the original Canabalt thread, mods can't do anything about people complaining about the price because everyone is entitled to their own opinion; there isn't any rule that says you can't complain about the price of an app.

6. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I agree totally. If I were a developer who worked hard to create a game I would be very insulted by people who say "$2.99! Wow!! This game should be 99 cents." It's getting more and more ridiculous--it's rare to find any thread about a game priced higher than 99 cents where people aren't crying and whining.

There is a rule about begging for promo codes; maybe there needs to be a rule about excessive whining! :rolleyes:

I hope most of them are asking Mommy and Daddy for an iTunes gift card for Christmas. Give the rest of us a break from all the temper tantrums...:cool:

7. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

There is a difference between feeling comfortable paying a certain price, for a certain game, and complaining.

There are certain games all of us will look at and decide to wait for a sale or not buy at all, based on price.

If you say price does not influence your decisions on what to buy, I will tell you that I do not believe you.

Now yes, complaining about any game over a dollar is silly, but it happens.

Unfortunately the size and popularity of this site just makes this issue bigger.

I felt that the price for SMB2 was too much, it went on sale and I bought it.

There was no complaint from me, just a price point I felt comfortable with a certain game.

We all do this.

Some just do not know how to post it so they are not annoying.

If it bothers you, block them.

As a poster mentions above though, it probably will be half the site.

Just make sure you do not block yourself.

David

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It's the kids that annoy me. Yes, we know you're 13 and broke, so were we at that age, just wait it out like everyone else had to. The whole point of not being able to afford things when you're young is that it's supposed to make you want to grow up into a civilized member of society with a decent job.

9. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    I agree totally with just about all of these comments.

10. AddictArts

AddictArts Active Member

Nov 17, 2009
    I have paid almost all the ranges of prices and don't mind; However, for me if a game is 99 cents I often just go for it. When it is over that I pause and oftern don't pull the trigger. The 99 cent price point makes it easy to have a look. This may not be true for others. Another fact is their are some fantastic games for 99 cents in the AppStore, so perception can be a powerful foe, or ally here. IMHO developers and pubishers should be aware of their competition and price accordingly.

11. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

I do not think this was directed towards me but, darn it all, I am not sure I even remember being that young. :D

David

12. pcmaster

pcmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    but the thing is that people can afford games that are $30+ for console games and even the nintendo ds or psp. but on the iphone if they are more then $1 everyone complains. People do have the money but they are just really cheap because anything over $1 for the iphone is expensive but anything over $50 is expensive for console games. its really annoying but this is why developers should use in app purchase. The app doesn't have to include all the features. if someone makes the app $1 but has in app purchases for the features that make it cost another $ it looks like a $1 app and it is but if the player really gets into the game he/she will buy the other functionality.

13. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    See the argument is app prices in real life versus the app store. In real life they are absurdly low, while in the app store they are considered high. That's business.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Well they shouldn't be. It's only customer greed that inspired that trend.

15. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    no, its relative... the price range is different, so peoples expectations are different... 4.99 technically is more expensive on the app store because most things are lower in price. I dont have very much money available to me, so whenever i can save money, or avoid spending it, i will. It has nothing to do with greed, its called being frugal. And necessary if your a gamer with an iPhone that DOESNT want to go bankrupt...

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    If you're a gamer who doesn't want to go bankrupt, what's necessary is not impulse buying every app with a pretty icon or 5-star review. People should be using the same restraint they do with console games.

Things are only "technically" more expensive because the prices have been forced down by greedy consumers who feel they don't have to pay more than a dollar for something that doesn't come in a box, and it's hurting developers.

17. pcmaster

pcmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    all i can say is that i'm glad that apple made a limit for how low apps can sell for. think of it if the prices were at $0.50 or lower. it still could be a lot worse

18. monkeys37

monkeys37 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Just think: If that one guy had spent his time working instead of whining about Canabalt's price on the internet, he easily could've made up that precious two dollars and probably more, even if he earned his income by dancing for nickels on the street. I guess it just goes to show you that people would generally rather be whining than dancing. Or that it's easier to be a message board-complainer than a street entertainer. Or something.

19. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Why do people always jump at the consensus that someone is complaining about a price because they can't afford it..its arrogant to assume that.

20. monkeys37

monkeys37 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Austin, TX
    This is the first post I've seen from you that didn't contain "lol" in it.