iPad Which X-Plane should I get

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Spek, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I really want to try one of the x-planes but I can't decide which one. I've ruled out helicopter. I keep reading good things about the airliner but that sounds less fun to me. So that leaves me thinking I would like the original or the new extreme version.

Any suggestions???

How many aircraft do the each one have?

Thanks guys

2. Brendonian

Brendonian Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I think you're on the right track. I love all four of these apps, but I think you've ruled out the right ones.

In order, least recommended first:

Helicopter has 4 helos. It's the hardest to fly, and relatively slow. A great app, but I'd recommend moving onto this once you've tried one of the others, if you want try try something really different.

Airliner has 6 planes. It's all about flying heavy, slow reacting aircraft. Not the most exciting, but still very good. Has the most airports to visit. One of the best if you want to practice blind approaches using ILS.

X-Plane 9 has 6 planes. All fairly nimble, light aircraft. Including one jet. Probably the easiest for a beginner.

Extreme has only 4 planes for now, but they're the most varied. I guess more will come in future updates. The Raptor is insane fun to fly, but the others are heavy, unresponsive planes, closer to airliners. Also has the benefit of other planes to follow, this is the closest you'll get to any kind of mission until more updates come along.

For me Extreme is the best. Certainly if you want a fast paced blast around some canyons, Extreme is definately the one for you.
    The original X-Plane 9 is probably the best for a beginner who wants to take learning to fly more seriously.

3. cxx

cxx Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Extreme! Fighter jets are awesome and the F22 Raptor is INCREDIBLE. Seriously, it is worth the $$$

4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    X-Plane 9 is the best. A bit of everything. General.
    Airliner is more challenging.

5. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I went with x-plane 9. I like it but I think I would have enjoyed extreme more though. I went with 9 because people were saying the maps are too small for the speed of the extreme planes. Might have to get extreme now. idk

6. doctorded

doctorded Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT Engineer
    Plantsville, CT
    Get all 4 version

Just get all four version! I did! But X-Plane Extreme is the best for the money!
    Hope this helps.

7. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    I only have X-Plane Airliner but love it - of course it takes more time to change direction - but that the point of trying to fly something that weighs 500 tons

I just love X-Plane Airliner - even landed it during last real flight to Ireland!

All-time favourite App - no doubt

8. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Is there X-Plane for click wheel iPods? I doubt it. So this thread is obviously in the wrong forum.

9. PowerThirst

PowerThirst Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
  10. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Why did you just revive this thread and post something nobody can understand? I thought something important happened. :mad:

11. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    cxx = username

12. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Oh, just noticed that. But what was really the point of posting that?

13. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    no idea

14. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    It's a personal preference really. What type of aircraft do you like the best? Airliners, light planes, jet fighters, or helicopters? Personally I like the Airliner one the best, but all 4 are equally as good. If you can't decide, get all of them ;)

15. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    X-plane extreme (if you like fighter jets)

Just all depends what kind of aircraft you like

16. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    #16 iFonePhanatic, May 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
    I bought Airliners when it came out at $5, until people got pissed off at the devs. Anyways, I think it's pretty cool because of the good graphics, pretty smooth framerate, and nice controls. I still play it every once in a while. Is it worth the $10? Personally I don't think so because there are so many other great games out right now. If I had to recommend one, I would say Extreme, which looks really fun, although I never took the plunge to find out. I can say one thing for sure: the developers of the X-Plane series are GREAT. They update all the time to improve framerate, add new graphics and other enhancements.

Edit: I just realized I spent all this time writing that when this thread is 3 months old. Oh well, hopefully it will help somebody else out when buying an X-Plane game.