Which Reiner Knizia game to start with?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by hkiphone, Sep 15, 2010.

1. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks sizzla; I see there are a few reviews on the app store that mention it doesn't work on iOS 4.1 though. And whoa, the DLC brings the total package to about $10! I don't mind paying that though, if it really proves to be a great game.

2. codito

codito Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    iPhone developer
    Ra released, Medici on sale

We wanted to make sure to mention that Ra is available now!

Also, Medici HD is now selling for a reduced price, and Medici for iPhone is on super sale for the next week to celebrate!

Happy gaming!

3. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I bought Medici, and first few rounds were really confusing, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. You can feel this slight buzz in the back of your head that you know there's something special about this game.... :)
    There's certainly alot of depth and strategy to this game! Go for a monopoly on one item or cover all bases.... risk pushing up the price so the next player has to pay more, and have less cash to buy the next round... do you opt for one cargo or three? so tactical its mindblowing!

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Even the "simplest" Robot Master is a very clever and challenging game. I am hooked and now this replaces Drop7 as my daily app...

5. hkiphone

Oct 7, 2008
    Indeed! Playing vs the CPU, I'm now winning on a ratio of 4:1 on average, but I'm scared to play online vs real players and get my arse handed to me on a plate! hahaha A pity Robot Master doesn't keep track of how many victories/losses, and maybe scores. My best victory was having over 100 on each column, and forcing the robot to have only 13 as their lowest row.

Back to Medici: The resolution on iPhone4 really could do with a bump up. I think I got too used to retina display games, but I can understand why they won't devote time to clean it up...

6. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Another one for getting into knizia games now with robotmaster. Now hunting for a good 2nd title- bought knights of Charlemagne on a whim but not so keen on that. Also didn't realise knizia the man himself is only about 40-odd, only turned into full-time game-making in 1997, and lives in England..

7. hkiphone

Oct 7, 2008
    Just had to chime in by saying that Medici has now become the game that seem to gravitate to for playing not only short bursts but also when I've got abit longer to play. I always seem to want to play other games like Predators or Ash, but my thumbs just always tap on Medici instead...

Another thing on my wish list for Medici is to have the bid up/down arrows slightly larger so its easier to change the bid. And maybe have a randomizer selection at the beginning of the game. That way, you won't know who's playing ahead or after you in the round, so your strategy might change.

8. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Same goes to Samurai too...but Robot Master is just right for a...well...relaxing in an "enclosed room" kinda environment.

9. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Many more RK's titles coming in (which is good). Any update on the rankings?

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I hear rumors of the legendary game design prowess of Reiner Knizia but there's so many of his games on iOS. Reading this indicates that all his games are universally good.

Reiner Knizia's Kingdoms just went on sale for $0.99 today; does the trend of awesomeness continue with that iOS entry or should I, a novice Knizia initiate, hold off? Is this a worthy entry for single play? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

11. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I think any of Knizia's games are a steal at $.99, and Kingdoms is a fine single player experience. I actually only play single player on his games.

12. KoolKing

KoolKing Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Valrico, FL
    Honestly, the Knizia games developed by Skotos Tech (Money, High Society, Kingdoms) are probably not the best games to start out with. One or two of them have no sound at all and the one that does is very minimal. There isn't a real tutorial to ease you into the game, just a basic page of rules. They are good for what they are, but they could be a ton better with a little TLC from the devs.

For a newcomer, I would suggest Samurai or Medici. Samurai has a great tutorial, as well as tips/quizzes during the loading screen which really help a newcomer figure the game out. Medici doesn't have an interactive tutorial, but the rules are really simple and the scoring animations after each round are good for learning how points are earned.

13. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

An overstatement, to be sure. If you have any doubt of that, I welcome you to give Knights of Charlemagne or Poison a try. But be sure to bring a pillow ...

14. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Labyrinth on ipad is quite an experience! that and Medici are very fun, but its Robot Master that i have to pry out of my wifes hands so i can use my ipad.