iPad which is the best rpg?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nooobynick, Jan 5, 2009.

1. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    #1 nooobynick, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
    If you were to choose from the four rpgs out right now (arvale, inotia, vay, and dungeon and hero) which one would you say is best? I've been wanting an rpg but i'm on the fence about them so far.:confused:

sorry for not specifying(first post here) but yeah it needs to have pretty decent graphics, some form of a story, side quests, as to the fighting style i really don't care, a decent amount of items, and some form of a leveling up system that includes increasing stats.

2. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    yup! those are the best;)

3. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    You really need to specify the kind of things that are most important, because I don't think anyone can easily argue that any of them are perfect. Do you need good graphics, a good story, turn-based vs hack and slash combat? Lots of items, customisation, single player vs groups?

4. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I've got Vay and Inotia and to be honest they are both pretty weak. I can't say about Arvale because don't have that one. I just bought Dungeon & Hero so I can't comment on that one yet :) So I really can't say which one is the best, because I think none of those four are truly great.

5. toiletbob

toiletbob Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    So far I prefer Arvale over the others. It has a decent story and a lot of humor to go with it.

6. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Don't overlook Imprisoned! either. It's not a traditional RPG like the others, but it has a lot of RPG elements, like leveling up, skill point distribution, items, combat, item synthesizing, and an interesting story. I personally have put a lot of time into that compared to the others, and I own all of them except D&H.

7. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    O I forgot about Imprisoned! I got that one too and it's okay. Like terrett101 says its not like the other rpg games on the iPhone but different in a good way. I personally like the isometric view. On a side note, the developer of Imprisoned! has another rpg game coming for iPhone, Dragon Sword, which looks pretty promising. I'm waiting for that one

8. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    dungeon and hero by far.

9. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    You've already sold me on that one ;)

10. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've tried two so far. Vay and Arvale.

Vay was OK but to be honest I found it boring after I played half way through. I really forced myself to keep playing it through to the end. Also the inventory system was pretty clunky and it was awkward to navigate around it. When I finished Vay I deleted it and haven't played it again.

Arvale was much better than Vay. I found the controls really easy to use (there are 3 methods of controlling movement). I also liked the weapons and armour system where each has a limited number of uses. This forced me to actually use and purchase a wide range of weapons and armour, whereas I would normally find a good weapon and armour and then just stick to that. The graphics are OK but what really makes Arvale so much fun is the humour.

While Arvale is so much better than Vay it is not perfect. Arvale suffers in three main areas. Be aware of them but don't let them put you off playing Arvale. I still really enjoyed it and had a great time playing.
    1) Linear - while there are some optional side quests, the story line is very linear.
    2) Limited stats - With each level up you can choose from only 3 stats: Dexterity, Strength and Knowledge. These do influence other statistics but I would have liked more options.
    3) Easy - At first the difficulty level does ramp up nicely but after a while I found it to be easy. By the end of the game I was a level 56 and the bosses were really easy to kill. The "big" endgame boss was so easy to defeat. I found it no challenge at all.

I haven't tried Inotia because other users posted here that it's a "grind heavy" rpg with little to no story line. And I don't usually enjoy rpg's with heavy grinding and little story lines. My preferred rpg is one that has a good mixture of story line and dungeons.

I'm waiting to for some user reviews on Dungeon & Hero before I jump into that one (OK so I am also waiting to see how long my self-control lasts before I give in and buy it!)

11. mek

mek Well-Known Member

uhm, diablo

12. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I bought Hero this morning but I've been very busy and only had about 20 minutes to play. I'll give a quick review later but here are some first impressions

- Three save files
    - FINALLY! You can pick from three different classes!
    - Level up system is nice
    - Decent artwork/graphics, but hard to see people in the game
    - Terrible controls!
    - Music doesn't loop very well - sounds icky :p

So far, I think this one will be the most promising, and I'm willing to overlook the controls because of that. The combat system is probably the best out of all the iPhone RPGs.

13. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    It sounds promising (aside from the controls). When you post your review please let us know if there is a story line involved and does the game seem linear? Thanks!

14. firstprime

firstprime Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    president of awesome town!
    wexford, ireland
    dungeon and hero wins. all others fail :D

15. nate@pdxine.com

Dec 24, 2008
    Honestly, I've liked Vay the best.

I own Vay, Inotia and arvale but none of the other two have grabbed me in the way that Vay did. Sure it was super linear, but it has felt the truest of all the RPGs so far. Random enemy incounters, turn based fighting with teams. I don't mind the fighting style that Inotia brings to the table, however I feel so useless when it comes time to fight. Give be something like The Legend of Zelda if you are going to have the enemies walking around. I don't want to just choose where to go and be at the mercy of the computer.

I haven't had a chance to try D&H yet. But will soon once I finish either arvale or inotia. I don't want too many unfinished games hanging around on my phone.

16. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I vote for Arvale for its conversation humor. I just couldn't get enough of it :p

17. Joony

Joony Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Inotia seems to be the RPG!

It really depends on what type of RPG you prefer.
    If you are more into the on-line type RPGs then, I guess, Inotia is the right game. The update is out, they've solved a lot of the problems the game had related to graphics.

The graphics for Vay is too weak.
    I haven't tried dungeon and Hero yet.

I'll let you know when I do.

18. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Just out of curiosity, do the character's change appearance in Arvale and Dungeon and Hero? I know they don't in Inotia.

19. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    How about Dragon & Bane II?

20. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    I bought Vay, Inotia and DH, the reason I skipped Dragon Bane and Arvale is that I have bought both from my PocketPC days, I bought Dragon Bane when I had a Sony Clie running Palm OS back 5 or 6 years ago! so I think they are quite dated already.

Arvale is fine, the story is ok, but I just dont see the need of reliving it, frankly I like the new Arvale short tales the best, even that I have played like a year ago when I still had my PocketPC. Wait for that one, better stories, with 5 characters to choose from.
    But I dont know when they gonna release that, theres still Arvale II to milk before that one ;)
    Have a look at www.pdamill.com for the screenshots of the next arvales.

Of the remaining 3, I cant say any 1 is the best.
    Vay has a good albeit classic story, with movie, if you are a fan of Japanese style Square enix RPGs get this one.

Inotia has the best graphics of the bunch, pretty obvious, but click and point gameplay is quite boring, and after you are done with it, I dont think theres any incentive to replay, small thing for some people but quite a turn off for some.

Dungeon and Hero has a better gameplay than either of those 2 and has 3 characters to choose from, its like a mini diablo. Control is quite lacking, but not a big problem, although I still hope they will fix it soon.