Which do you prefer TBS or TD or Defence Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jyaw3, Jul 15, 2009.

?

Which of the 3 Options do you think would be a good idea?

1. Option 1: Turn Based Strategy

19 vote(s)
    38.8%
  2. Option 2: Tower Defence

19 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. Option 3: Hybrid Defence Game

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  1. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I like TD games a lot. Keep them coming.There are may of us who like the genre.

If you are sick of TD games, just don't buy them.

2. Moonmist

Moonmist Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    at my computer?
    well if you insist on a TD game... I would go the route of a fantasy game. I'm not really a fan of the whole Sci Fi theme. I would much rather play a game with orks,goblins and trolls. I also like the idea of "moving" towers. Towers like the ones in Evironmental Monster TD add a lot, as it's not just a tower sitting there shooting. Maybe even something like Dungeon Defense.., but you can put your "towers" anywhere you want. Essentially like an RTS, but you can't control your towers after you place them.

Also the game should have unlockable towers, like Environmental Monster TD does. This adds tons of replay to the games and makes you keep coming back and playing.

3. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Tower Defense definitely got my vote. As for preferences, having a good variety of towers where you can upgrade them is nice...having upgrade options per tower doesn't excite me that much. Upgrades should definitley increase things like rate of fire, damage, range. I also like the idea of synergistic towers where a tower boosts those around it.

However, I think different take on that would be if two offensive towers boosted eachother when built adjacent to one another...you could even have the opposite occur, where they actually supress each other...would add an extra wrinkle into strategies since you couldn't just go building towers wherever you wanted.

4. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Ha, ya actually that was/is something I was gonna do, essentially towers having some kind of 'alignment/faction' that would alter how they perform

my concern is...what becomes TOO complex :p

5. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I would maybe include 4 or 5 elements/factions they represent and opposites would not be good together and like things would

water tower next to fire tower would be bad
    water tower next to a life/storm/etc would complement eachother

as just quick examples, yeah you definitely don't want to make it too complex, but just something that adds a wrinkle into the strategy

6. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Alright so I've almost? got a pathfinder done =D

Something I was wondering, how do people feel with towers and experience? Do they like how when a tower does more dmg/gets more kills so forth that it get's "better"? or do you think which towers get better should solely be dependent on where the player decides to upgrade?

7. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    that's a tough one, in battlefield, they auto upgrade, but you get to award medals to each tower to make it better also...very similar in 7 cities

the player needs to have some involvement, so either the player gets to do something, like the medals or choosing an upgrade track if the towers auto upgrade...or you if you don't want to do that extra stuff then leave it up to the player to do the basic upgrading

given a choice i like manual upgrading because it allows the player more flexibility in building to me...in auto upgrading, the towers that are first encountered by creeps will be getting the most experience; however, if a creep gets by those most powerful towers, it will probably just walk right on by the remaining weak towers that have not gotten an opportunity to be upgraded

...plus i guess that will also come down to how you want to do game balancing...

8. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Alright so path finding works yay

Now a design/useability question for all you TD'ers

How do you prefer to "build" your tower?

do you prefer having a "toolbar" with a list of towers, you select it then tap the space you want?

or do you prefer tapping the space and then having a popup/fill in the tool bar and build from there?

9. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    i like dragging towers to where i want to build, the toolbar option could also work well

...whichever method you use, please have a visual indicator of the range of the tower before I choose to build it (like a shadow/sillhouette or something on the terrain) so I know if I should build elsewhere or use a different tower with a better range

10. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I'd love a proper turn-based strategy game. It's entirely possible to make a Fire Emblem game for iPhone, almost exact same structure as the other lame attempts at turn-based strategy like Mecho Wars or Uniwar.
    A proper turn-based RPG would be really awesome too, like most Chinese RPGs.