Which do you prefer TBS or TD or Defence Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jyaw3, Jul 15, 2009.

?

Which of the 3 Options do you think would be a good idea?

1. Option 1: Turn Based Strategy

19 vote(s)
    38.8%
  2. Option 2: Tower Defence

19 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. Option 3: Hybrid Defence Game

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  1. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Alright so I'm trying to figure out what I want to attempt for a 3rd game so I'm looking here for any advice/insight.

Option 1: Turn Based Strategy - Something along the lines of Heroes of Might and Magic/Advance Wars/Fire Emblem

Option 2: Tower Defence (yes,I'm listing this as a genre) - Still a couple things I haven't seen done that I kind of want to try

Option 3: Defence type game - So...something like a TD, build stuff, but no fixed path and no mazing, essentially it will be build your defences such that the enemy doesn't get past you.

So I'm just curious what you guys think would be cool and your reasons why. I'm well aware you might not understand or like option 3 since it's not described very well =)

2. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    im sick of all the mediocre TD games, so I had to vote for TBS, even though its not my favorite genre

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Have to agree with SoCal_Sponger, though I would probably wait till Rogue Planet comes out before embarking on a TBS game -- you probably want to take a different approach so as to not get overshadowed by what will likely be a very popular game.

4. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    So reason for not picking TD is just cause there's too many that lack quality? or rather it's over done?

is something "new/different" a big on peoples list for a reason to buy/try a game?

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Both. I'm not a big fan of TD games, but it seems to me that the territory is, by now, well worn. The advantage of taking that route is that there's already something of an established fan base for TD games, though you'd think that at this point they're probably pretty jaded -- you would have to create something very different/special to be able to rise above the din. The TBS space seems less populated at the moment, so I think your chance of getting some attention is probably higher. In any event, there are far too many mediocre games of all genres in the App Store; seems like the most important issue is to make yours as good and polished as possible. And then market the hell out of it.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    There are enough TD gosh..I mean what new elements can you add? What's been though of has pretty much all been made. Make some better TBS games xD hahah there aren't too many of those, and pretty much only 3 even worth mentioning.

7. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Vanguard Storm is kind of what I'd call a hybrid TD. It's a good mixture. And it's pretty fun.
    I basically voted hybrid, because I like TD and TBS about the same.

8. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I don't get what "dfense game" is

9. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I vote for them all. Regardless of how many TD games there are on the App store, its easy to sift out the ones that pretty much suck, from the ones that are well worth it. When you do that, there is a decent handful of good ones, but the number significantly decreases. There is still, in my opinion, always room for something new and inventive, and that goes for any genre of gaming.

I love tower defence games. The strategy of them are addicting, and yeah they can get old, but so can any genre. But thats why I warmly welcome, and challenge devs to rise above! As long as it's good, I am going to get it most likely.

The iDevices could always use a great TBS, as there really isnt a whole lot of good ones, especially ones with RPG elements like Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, etc. I like the ones they have out like Advanced Wars, but I really want a FFT kind of one.

And they hybrid idea you mention: bring it on. It's what I voted for (since we can only choose one). I don't understand 100% what you mean, but make it interesting. And good luck brother.

10. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    ftw!

11. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I would play Fire Emblem over a TD game any day. TBS is a much deeper genre than TD. TBS requires a well developed plot, lots of well designed levels, character designs, and many more elements than even the most complex TDs. I think a game like Fire Emblem where you keep the same characters, have a good story with multiple routes to take, good graphics (2D probably), and a polished experience is my dream for iPhone gaming.
    With TBS there is also a lot better potential for multiplayer and online interactions.

12. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Well I guess that's why I'm still not sure which game I'd want to do next, my first two are puzzle games.

So for a TBS, I like the battle system in the games, and think that the hardest part for me will be writing the single player story/interaction. My idea was at first just to do the battle engine for it, but I guess the follow up question is, what do you play TBS for? story? or the strategy/battle part? (don't say both) would you play one just for the battle part? like say if it were dueling?

For the TD, it's slightly easier in terms of dressing it up with a story. And I agree that there's probably still some more that can be done with the genre, but I'm not sure how many new things I can think of :p

And for the final option I guess I'll just spit out a quick idea of it. Based in space, top down perspective, a portal at one end which will be sending waves of enemies at you. Player builds turrets or ships (both are automated in terms of targetting). So in that sense, kinda like a td, things come at you or try to get past you, you kill them, I wouldn't want to have mazing or paths, but more of an "AI" the enemies will fly according to how you've set your defences. That's the general idea behind it. The idea is something like http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/ which is just awesome to watch.

While I do like multiplayer, I'd like to see some statistic of what % of players actually play multiplayer.

13. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    lol Both.

I guess if I had to pick, since it's on the iDevices I say focus more on the battle/engine and gameplay, obviously. It would be nice to have a story, I am not going to lie. But as long as it had great gameplay and whatnot, I can't say I wouldnt get it solely because it had little/poor/weak/no story. But that only applies to iDevices. A TBS on any other platform must have some kind of story for me, and usually I will need a pretty decent and compelling one. But I am picky when it comes to that stuff.

14. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Okay so that's why I guess I want to lean towards a TD since it's probably "easier" but I think I'll develop both at the same time, I mean they're kinda similar in the sense I can reuse or write the code in such a way to use it for both (ie, my pathfinding/board classes yay)

So let me ask you guys now. What do you want in a TD?
    Do you prefer like the 4 simple towers and then upgradeable into different paths? or the lots of different towers but down 1 path and they just get higher level?

Do you like a lot of different creeps with different modifiers? like immune, mechanical, speed, flying, magic, only take dmg from one type of tower.

How do you feel about the RTS attack vs armour system. Piercing attack is good against armourless and magic, magic is good against heavy and so on?

Do you prefer fixed path or mazing? (I plan to include both probably)

Do you like to have a scrolling map? or everything on screen?

Artistically, what do you like to see?

Finally, is there anything you want to see in a TD that hasn't been done? =)

Thanks for the input, keep in mind I always want to design with casual and hardcore players in mind.

Note - is there a way to create multiple polls in one thread?

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    TD because it's fun watching a mass massacre of little guys (Fieldrunners, The Creeps!) :D

16. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I'm tired of tower defense games personally

17. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    The big problem with TBS is people are going to expect three things that are hard to deliver... Multiplayer, smart enemy AI in single player mode, and balance between the factions. You can do it single player only, of course, but a large % of the genre's fans are going to want a multiplayer component similar to or better than Uniwar. It's an underrepresented genre in the app store for a reason... It's really hard to get it right.

With TD though... There's a lot out there and more to come. Unless you revolutionize the genre you're not going to make much of a dent. Still, I wish you luck, and there is a lot of room to come up with a TD game like no one's seen before.

18. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I like TD's best because i dont really like turn based strategy games, and a good td is really fun.

19. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Ya, the TBS, I know Balance would probably be not so much hard, as tedious just trying or spending a long time to balance it (but so does any game, most games). AI is another issue, I don't think it would be too hard, just a lot of cases to cover depending on how much variety I had.

Everyone keeps saying (for those who like tds) they want a good one and like good ones.

So I'm asking you what MAKES a good td according to you? Sure I can't make a TD that everyone will like, but I sure as hell can try but in order for that I need to hear from you.

I guess one of my biggest road blocks will be art, so with that in mind do you think there's a particular theme that you like, or like to see?

Trying to cut down on art, creeps with limited movement animations would help, as well as I'll prolly use the "flashing white" when they're hit.

And another fairly immediate issue, how big do you guys like the map to be? in terms of grid, as well as, image size, like do you like being able to zoom in and scroll? or prefer an over view mostly or what?

20. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #20 Alichan76, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    I would certainly like to see a TD that has you scrolling around over a large map. iTD allows you to scroll a little, but more would be nice, to acheive a pseudo fog of war effect. As big as possible really.

And certainly iTD managed to achieve a good atmos with simple artwork. Something abstract like that would be work for me.

Maze TD's are my prefered ones. In fact I really don't get along with open field TD's in general. In theory it all sounds great to have the freedom, but in practice all I ever seem to do is build the same 'snake' maze every time. Maze TD's force more strategy I find, as you are forced to work with the maze you have been given, and it's various obstacles.

Two other things I find important in a TD are destructible towers, and micro managements. Both add greatly to the strategy.

Good luck:)