iPad Which current game tells the BEST story?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ExitPhour, Mar 26, 2009.

1. ExitPhour

ExitPhour Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Geek Lawyer
    Krull
    ...not counting the Interactive Fiction that can be played on Frotz, I was wondering...(see thread title).

My guess is either "The Quest" or "Puzzle Quest" (or anything else with "quest" in the title for that matter) but I could be pleasantly surprised.

2. glowAndy

glowAndy Well-Known Member

gilligans island

3. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
  4. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Sexytime fun! Of course.

5. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    GI Joyride!

...seriously, though, I haven't really come across many games with good stories on the iPhone. Vay was okay, as far the story goes. It was at least funny at times(you're searching for "weapons of mass destruction").

6. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    maybe 1112?

7. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I like Diamond Islands.

8. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    #8 le'deuche123, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
    I know I'm gonna get sh#t for it but.....MGS touch. At least it's story is "trying" to be good.

9. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Soul Trapper

10. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

rolando is kinda a cool story

11. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Wolfenstein by far

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    This is the correct answer.

Seriously...a lot of people haven't tried Soul Trapper for two reasons:

1. It's $7.99

2. It's an audio adventure game

But for those of us who have played the game we know it has what is by far the best story, and best storytelling, for a game on this platform.

Realtime Associates (developers of Soul Trapper) are supposed to be releasing more episodes down the line, and they had announced two new audio adventure titles, L.A. Knight and Bloodvine, that are supposed to be out sometime in April, iirc. I'm looking forward to those games.

13. ExitPhour

ExitPhour Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Geek Lawyer
    Krull
    Exactly why I asked this question!
    I knew there must be a diamond hidden amongst the "narratological dung" that makes up a majority of the App store.
    But does the story justify 8 bucks and 200+ megs?

14. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Same here! Been waiting for those games. :cool:

15. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Arvale was pretty humorous and fairly good price, decent game. btw i loved the quest as well

16. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    For me it was definitely worth it. But I like story based games a lot... I think that the 200+ megs of audio is worth it. Soul Trapper is really top notch quality... great voice acting... All seem to be professionals to me... Be warned, there aren't much graphics... as spiffyone said, it is an audio adventure... You'll need headphones for some of the gameplay elements because you'll need to hear what's on the left speaker vs. right...

17. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'll be honest with you: It depends on how open you are to gameplay genres you may not be used to, and what kind of gamer you happen to be.

It's an audio adventure. As such, it's a highly niche style of game in what is already a niche genre (adventure games as a whole). If adventure games aren't your thing, this game might very well not be either.

And if the idea of having no visuals outside of static images, onscreen buttons during interactive bits, and having everything conveyed through sound doesn't float your boat, well...it may not be for you. But if you want to keep an open mind, you very well might find one of the more engaging experiences on this platform.

The onscreen buttons you see in the vid allow you to navigate the "map" in whatever area you are in (and areas are broken into chapters, btw) as well as function as the controls for the various "minigames" that add spice to the narrative. You'll do things ranging from opening safes to solving a music based puzzle to following cues for movements needed to battling a demon in a sword battle while in Hell (which, btw, was my favorite part of the game).

It lasts about 3+ hours, and that's if your pretty good at the time based stuff (the heartbeat time based minigame to activate the Soul Trap is annoying though).

I paid $7.99, and then a few hours later it went down to a temporary $1.99 sale. I haven't seen it go under $7.99 since. And even though I paid the higher price and just missed out on the sale, I didn't really regret it.

If you are willing to spend the money and keep an open mind, I think you'll enjoy it.

18. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
  19. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Zombieville USA

20. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    I love the first episode of 1112, but it barely told a story. I cannot give it a nod here without further episodes being released.

Soul Trapper deserves all the positive comments it receives as it's definitely a sleeper hit that is overlooked because of its price and genre.