Which app results in the best mouse?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by TheSinMuffin, Dec 3, 2008.

1. TheSinMuffin

TheSinMuffin Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I'm looking to control my mb with my ipod as a mouse. Anyone got suggestions? I know about iTap and Air Mouse but which one is the most responsive as a mouse? I also want to use it for Powerpoint and Keynote Presentations. Please suggest something here.

2. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I really love Snatch. Check out the lite version first and see if this is what you are looking for.

3. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Yeah me too! Love it ---wait ---what are we talking about.

4. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I like Snatch, too... Even though I only have the lite version. I'm afraid the full version won't be worth it, though, because I have 10.4 in which the server's in beta.

5. TheSinMuffin

TheSinMuffin Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Mhmm. I tried the lite version but I can't seem to use powerpoint/keynote with it. Anyone know about Air Mouse? It seems to function as an actual mouse instead of just a trackpad.

6. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    #6 Chase, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
    Not sure, sorry. :( I've seen in the App Store though and it looks like it might be what you're looking for.

Try checking YouTube for a video. Someone might have made a video of them using the AirMouse app.

7. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have iTap which is awesome. Does everything that I wanted it too and I recommend it at 5 bucks (AUD). It has pretty sweet features being: two fingured scroll, right/left click, three fingured swipe to keyboard and a mouse! IMO it's well worth a look, and it works even better with the update to the server recently (uber smooth - and my internet connection is not too strong in my room). I also have snatch test, not much difference in mouse control really, pretty similar but half the price (to full Snatch). I think you should go for iTap, I did and I'm loving it. Snatch might have been judged better on the iLounge ranking thing for mouse apps, but back then iTap didn't have a keyboard. Now it does (it was second then, and therefore better than air mouse and the rest) it could possibly be the best?

8. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Deffinately snatch. I tried airmouse and another one, forget, and they're ok, but I love snatch

Note that the demo of snatch didn't work for me, and or was buggy... it's a much older version. the program author isn't doing himself any favours here as i was very reluctant to get the full version as the demo didn't work.

you can make your own screens of custom buttons to perform macros, eg i have a screen that controls Logic Studio transport, I have one that duplicates the buttons on the apple remote (but of course, this is wifi, works better than IR)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those screens are from the dev's, site the manual is there too: Link here

Obviously it does the mouse stuff nicely, but I just love the other options which is why i deleted airmouse when i got this.

9. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    Yeah I was originally going to get Snatch, but instead went for iTap as I didn't feel the need for the custom buttons (although a very cool addition). I also saved as much as I spent on iTap so I'm happy. iTap may also add the custom thing too, who knows. I mean it only recently got the keyboard, and then the arrows and escape and enter and music/video controls including volume.
    But if you want the custom button, dish out the money. I didn't need it so I didn't. 10 bucks won't buy you much else, so it's up to you. I think the choice is out of iTap, Snatch and air mouse.

10. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
  11. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Snatch now works for vista, but I cant get it to connect to my computer. It says Check firewall settings, How can I change those??? can somebody please help me??

12. TheSinMuffin

TheSinMuffin Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Does it work well for Keynote and Powerpoint presentations? That's the main thing I'm going to use this for. I might also use this as a tablet once in a while. Either of these work well with Snatch?

13. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    iTap has enter escape and backspace as well as arrows - perfect for your needs (also does volume) if you want anything more pay double and go for Snatch.

14. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I highly recommend the ultimate solution: Jaadu. (Formerly Teleport.)

It may be overkill for some, but it's awesome and worth every penny.

You get more than a mouse--you get a keyboard, complete with full computer keys (Command, Control, Option, F keys, arrows, Esc, etc.), the ability to lock modifiers for use with mouse clicks, and you get two-finger scrollwheel functionality. (Plus two-finger swipes left/right sends arrow keys--nice for skipping songs etc.) It even has an optional remote-control layout with common media-control keys laid out nice and big.

It's the ultimate remote control for my iMac when I'm sitting on the couch watching Hulu or whatever. And you don't have to install any software o the Mac. (For Windows control I think you may.) NOT suitable for games because games don't understand keys held down via VNC in my experience, but great for everything else.

But beyond just a remote control, it does two REALLY useful (optional) things in addition:

* Shows your computer screen right on the phone. A little slow, but great for zooming in on fine print. And VITAL if you want to control your computer from another room.

* Lets you use and control your computer over the INTERNET. You can even log in and out and change user accounts. I recently did some emergency work using my desktop iMac... while I was two states away. Slow, awkward on a tiny screen... but it sure beat hours of driving to get back to my Mac! (My mac is always on due to Folding@Home. If yours isn't, I think Wake for Network Access in system prefs might work--but only if you use wired Ethernet. Don't quote me though.)

Jaadu is the most expensive app I've bought, but also the last one I'd give up.

15. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Does Jaadu work over 3G/Edge or just over WiFi?

16. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    #16 Adams Immersive, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
    Yes--I even used it over a fairly weak Edge signal once.

Note: it's a bit slow on WiFi, slower still on 3G, and dog slow on Edge. VNC on a 3.5" screen is a last resort option for most purposes. In my view it is, however, WAY better than not having access to your computer all.

And when I say slow, I mean for output, not input. What's slow is screen updating (as always with VNC): no smooth motion, and certainly no video (but there's no sound anyway). Small changes like a small menu opening are fairly quick. A big window appearing or scrolling is what will be slow.

For fastest results, I suggest setting your computer to a small screen res. (Note: I find that changing res over VNC requires disconnecting and then reconnecting. Doable though. I made an AppleScript called VNC Helper in my dock, which drops the res and pauses Folding@Home in one click. These measures help the connection speed.)

The mouse itself is always nice and fast though (the cursor moves instantly no matter what) and over WiFi it's as good as a real trackpad. Key input is sent quickly too--you may SEE the results late, but don't feel you have to type slowly. (And Jaadu has a nice little key-preview feature to show what you've been typing instantly, including backspace-edits, no matter what the connection.)

My main Jaadu complaint: it remembers your VNC password, which could be a security risk if you don't lock your phone. So I leave my Mac on the login screen or a locked screensaver--that way, even if a thief hacked my phone and got my VNC password before I could get home to disable it (or call my ISP to shut down my connection), they'd still need my Mac's login password.

17. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Do any of the mouse apps work over a wireless network only, without needing an Internet connection?

18. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes. Jaadu certainly works fine over LAN. In fact, it sees your Mac(s) automatically via Bonjour.

19. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Sounds convinient, but I dont have a mac. I tried jaduu lite, but I couldn't get any VNC servers to work on my laptop.

Has anyone had any success using, say, iTap over a LAN, or even connecting to an ad-hoc network on a laptop? BTW Using Vista business.

20. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Jaadu uses standard VNC, nothing proprietary, so if you can get Windows to do VNC you should be fine. Maybe some VNC app out there will work for you. ( http://www.jugaari.com has some tips. )

Jaadu does make a Mac utility to automate your settings... but I never needed it. I just turned on Screen Sharing in Leopard and that was that.