iPad Where's the report an application option in the store?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TimothyB, Oct 29, 2008.

1. TimothyB

TimothyB Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    #1 TimothyB, Oct 29, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
    While we have options to report reviews and comments for violations, but where's the report violation button for applications themselves?

Just take a look at this new game Snake Deluxe:
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294337267&mt=8

Do the landscape graphics look familiar? If for some reason they don't, I'm sure Nintendo would. Pretty much looks like an exact copy of Snes Zelda graphics, or one of the recent versions of it. The guy versions of this game on many other phones or devices. I can't imagine he got the rights to do this.

2. Img that IS Zelda graphics! It would be nice for us to report apps, but I think it is down to the company who own the copyright (Nintendo in this case) to contact Apple if there is indeed a breach.

3. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Hahhahahaaa i think youd have to contact Nintendo who would contact apple.

4. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Normally in this wonderful digital world a company would only take down content if they're issued with something like a DMCA, or other legal instrument. These generally have to come from the rights holder themselves, so rather than reporting it to Apple, you should find out who to notify at Nintendo if you believe their artwork has been used.

5. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    I doubt that nintendo has any protection on 8 bit graphics style. This is what you get when you limit your color pallet and and use low res graphics. If the backgounds stole elements from Zelda where you can say this bush is that bush 100%, or the grass texture is 100% the same, then you'd have a case. Just saying, I agree it looks like Zelda, but is the style something that nintendo actually owns? I think other games from this period have similar graphics, like Phantasy star.

6. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Those are definitely Zelda's graphics (not just in the style of), which would be protected under copyright law. Someone's in for a slapping by Nintendo.

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head

While I think there are some comparisons I don't think it's such a blatent rip off of Zelda. If you really want to report it to Apple, just click on the reviews tab for the game or app you want to report. Click on the pen and paper icon as you would to write a review... Instead of write review click on report a problem... Hope that awnsers your question.

8. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    I think that the Report Violations is there to report a problem with the app (i.e., if it crashes or contains a virus). I don't think that it's there to report legal infringements. It's funny how people quickly become legal experts - haha!

Let the developer sell his/her app. If Nintendo sees the violation and chooses to sue, then it will do so. I'm assuming that you have better things to do with your time.

9. Even if you could report it to Apple, I'm sure they won't be bothered chasing Nintendo just to find out if their copyright has been breached. Like I said at the begining, if there has been a breach, Nintendo are the only ones who'll know for sure- let them deal with it.

10. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    I would write to Nintendo about this.

11. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    wow.... such innovation

old ass cell phone game + lifted Zelda graphics = genius... :rolleyes:

I'm actually a bit curious about the "bosses" in a snake game.
    I guess it's womewhat "original". compared to the rest of the snake clones anyway. but why bother? snake? The LEAST he could have done is made an actual zelda clone ;)

12. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I don't see any reason to worry. I'm pretty sure every game that came out around 1985-1994 that was a top down RPG or something of the sort, had bushes and trees that looked like this... Secret of Mana, Zelda, Final Fantasy... It's not necessarily the code or backgrounds from Zelda anyways, Just the "Style" And you can't copyright style... trust me if you could I'd be rich :cool:

Who cares anyways?

13. vandy1997

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    Maybe you should also contact the original developer of a snake game, because this is DEFINITELY one of those!! Do some research, and you should be able to find out who "invented" the snake game. Then write to Apple about that as well!

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

It is the exact same graphics as Zelda, not just the same "style". Granted Nintendo is the one who would most care, but given that Apple has complete control over what's in their store, they might have some legal responsibility too.

People who don't want to support a developer who blatantly rips off other peoples' work?

--Eric

15. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    #15 BATTLE BORN, Oct 29, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
    blue skies creator was able to make SNES style graphics without blatantly using objects from another game.
    either he lifted them, or tried VERY hard to copy them to a T.
    every single detail
    (trees, house, fence/bush/post/heart meter/sign/grass/rocks/dirt patterns/ even the holes where plants were pulled up)
    it's all exactly the same.

I'm curious what this guy's thought process was...
    people like snake...and people like zelda.... I've got it! snakezelda!
    what's next? super sudoku brothers?

16. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Well Eric, I do agree with you on that. I don't want to support people who rip somone elses work either. For example - Papi Lander tried to pretend it was a game from the same company and acted like it was just a part of the series. It's not. But this, this seems a little, I don't know. I can't argue if that's how you feel, I just don't see this instance as such a big deal as the Papi Lander thing. But I can understand where you are coming from

17. vandy1997

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    Eric, I can agree with you that you may not want to support this dev. But I think that, if TimothyB cares so much about this issue, he should try to contact the developer first instead of contacting Apple or Nintendo. Maybe the dev subcontracted the artwork and doesn't even know that it belongs to another game. I've heard of Zelda, but I had no clue that this is the background for Zelda! I actually think that the background looks like CRAP and would never purchase this app! The problem with announcing these things to Apple and to Nintendo (if they care at all), is that this guy may get stuck with paying a ton of money for an attorney to defend a suit when this could have been handled in a more civilized manner. That is what I'm saying.

Maybe TimothyB can contact the developer and ask him/her to view this thread to determine whether he/she is even aware of this alleged violation.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

18. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I understand that you need to buy a SNES and experience one of the best games ever! lol

19. Valmont

Valmont Active Member

Oct 24, 2008
    QFT. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is one of my all time favorite games. I highly suggest picking up one a version of it playing it through.

As for this game ripping it off, yeah thats totally jacked up. Even if they had permission for it, its not like a lot of people (obviously) aren't gonna notice it. I almost want to buy just so I can comment on it on the appstore, but the key word is "almost".

20. TimothyB

TimothyB Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    My comment may have seemed like I was taking it too serious, at least with reporting it. Just a wish to be able to casually report apps. I don't care enough to actually contact Nintendo about this and anything less is probably pointless. The best suggestion in this thread was to contact the developer with the idea they have no idea, as may have been duped by someone they contracted to create the new graphics.

The game is gone from the app store, at least the US store, so maybe someone alerted the seller of the issue.

For those unfamiliar with this Zelda, and can't see the link images anymore, here's a still from the Snake game over Zelda. It looks pretty much like an exact copy, from the little grass, house, bushes, everything. Any small differences could be from different releases of the game, or animation.

[​IMG]

Screens of the game:
    http://appshopper.com/games/snake-deluxe

This one just got to me claiming next gen graphics to only see stolen art. The style unique for a 16bit game. Maybe a single bush due to limited pixels, but everything can't be a coincidence. Even if they copied it by hand, redrawn, it's still ripping off someone's work, which is unacceptable and a good reason to be upset about. There are a lot of artists on the internet that have to deal with this all the time.