Where are the 2D graphic artists?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by pchukwura, Dec 21, 2011.

1. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    So I have released one game so far and worked with a wonderful designer for that game. But I've been looking around the interwebs for other top-notch artists, capable of art styles ranging from nicely executed 8 & 16 bit graphics, all the way up to unique beautiful graphics such as in Contre Jour, but they are hard to find.

I do realize that mobile is a relatively new hotbed for gaming and maybe art schools are slower to adjust and still only teaching 3D game graphics. While I have found a handful of excellent designers that fit the mold, I was just thinking there would be more out there.

What I usually encounter are designers who have excellent art skills, but no experience in games and/or 2d animation, or if they have 2d animation experience, the art skills isn't where I would like.

I typically frequent Dribbble.com and deviantart, but I was wondering if you guys have your special little source of finding game artists/animators who specifically target 2D and hopefully mobile.

2. You can try the forums at indiegamer.com. There is a forum for artists looking for work.

3. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    Awesome! Thanks guys... I knew there had to be a "secret" source that I was unaware of.

4. Markus Hanka

Markus Hanka Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Freelance 2D Artist
    Beijing
    I did a lot research on this as well.
    http://www.gamedev.net/index seems also pretty active.

I am a 2d artist myself. Please take a look at my website.

5. helioxfilm

helioxfilm Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
  6. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Web Designers and Digital Designers

I am a games designer and animator for AppInTheBox.com.au I started as a digital designer designing websites, touch screen displays etc., and then moved into gaming. The transition was pretty easy, so maybe look for a digital designer, the skillset is similar and digital designers have experience designing commercially for advertising etc., which gives them an edge over typical games artists from a fine art background.

Animation experience is a bit harder, I started off working in cell animation but ended up in digital design, so it has been a nice transition back to include all my skills in one application. If you want to check out any of my designs check out appinthebox.com.au for all our games.