Where are all the AAA Gone to?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Daysleeper82, Feb 28, 2019.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i cant see it sadly. Its like Gamesclub, theyve announced it'll be subscription based. I can kinda see why they do it as some people start sweating the second a games over $2. But i wish there was an option for people who want to buy the game to keep it instead of subscribing to it.

Should be good for gamers but we'll see. Again wish there was the subscription offer and an option to buy the premium priced game as well.

2. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    How much are you willing to pay? It may be cheaper to just "rent" the game. Many are still in the mindset that even premium games should cost "no more than $10", when some podcasts mentioned free-to-play wouldn't have been that bad, but only if they charged $50 per game.

Heck, I hear people saying "how would you like it if Super Mario Bros. nickel and dimed you?". I woudn't like it, but we need to remember that Super Mario Bros. cost $50 in its day... in 1983. In today's dollars, that's $123 USD. If more users were willing to pay $100 for their games, then same thing. We'd still need to deal with corporate greed. But when they're losing out on $100 per person. That gives us much more "voting power".

3. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    It’s all about perspective. Younger gamers live in a time where they expect certain things to be next to nothing especially if it’s a “phone game”. They have no idea that their father/mother spent $20 on a Tiger handheld device that kind of represented their favorite games on the NES / SNES and that’s being very generous or that they paid full price for a basic puzzle game on the original game boy (looking at you Mahjong). Heck I’ve been out of the loop for awhile. Nintendo still might be charging premium for basic games. If not full price their probably able to get much more on the switch than what most mobile gamers would deem acceptable.

Although older gamers also forget that their era had “nickel & dime” gaming also. We just called it “The Arcade” and I can tell you first hand that most f2p games of today allow you to play longer per dollar than most arcade machines. My father used to give me $20 in quarters and drive me to the closest arcade place and those quarters would be gone within an hour at most.

Granted, back in my childhood, the arcade experience was one of the few ways to get the best visual representation of certain games but it certainly came at a cost unless you were some sort of gaming savant at a certain game and could make your .25 / .50 last for awhile. Even then certain games at the arcade only gave the gamer a certain amount of time before the machine needed another quarter to eat, sports games were especially egregious at this sort of behavior.

Your right on the price adjustment argument. If we had to pay the adjusted price for games across the board the outrage would be at a boiling point.

We live in the social media era where it’s more fun for “true” gamers to say that the sky is falling in because of the mobile threat (not saying anyone who’s a regular at TA would think that, just the more elitist in the gaming community in general.) Most gamers, even older ones that paint the previous decades of gaming as halcyon times, never see the full perspective of change especially if it’s in a positive direction.

ackmondual likes this.
  4. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    #24 ackmondual, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Ditto for many other areas. Print encyclopedias are mostly non-existent, save for a few collectors. It couldn't compete with the internet. It sounds shocking to millenials and later generations that people and libraries would pay $100 per volume for these "tomes of knowledge". But they were literally that... there were far fewer ways to gain knowledge if you sought it.

It used to be just Disney, PBS, and a few other kid's shows. Now, streaming means those long established channels from decades past aren't the only sheriffs in town. Competition is MUCH MORE fierce.

... And ditto with games. There is soo much free content out there that never having to pay a cent for them is certainly a viable option. However, there are those that do shell out more bucks for the good stuff :)

I ended up reading up that for Gauntlet, players got so good that they didn't need to put in any extra quarters for an "injection" of hp/life. They can go through the whole game on one quarter. Developers didn't like this b/c, less money, which IS also less purchasing power in paying off bills, groceries, etc., that they put in a "starvation mode". If you're doing TOO well, then food spots won't spawn any food.