Wheeler's Treasure - Piratey Platformer - 99 cents! [APPROVED]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TwoLivesLeft, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Which new item sounds the most fun?

1. Pirate Pistol

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Peg Leg

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Voodoo Doll

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Pet Parrot

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Sacrificial Rubber Chicken

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    I keep coming back to this thread and the video (when will the contest end by the way? :D) and I just realized that most of the items in the game are things that you collect or things yoU equip to enhance your ability. But there are none that gives you a handicap (disadvantage).

I'm thinking along the lines of those brickbreaker games. Sometimes you get the big paddle powerup, but sometimes you accidentally get the speed ball or small paddle powerup (powerdown?).

Coming back to Wheeler's Treasure, how about items that can make the wheel smaller (I haven't played the game but I imagine it'll be harder to avoid obstacles if the wheel is smaller), make your hook nonfunctional, etc. Of course these powerdowns are time limited (10sec?) and they are placed on the level such that it's not impossible to avoid them, but yet you may accidentally touch them and experience the unfortunate powerdown.

2. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    maybe cause I suck but it gets pretty hectic already and your items such as your hook only last for a limited time before it has to recharge.

3. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Lol. Okay. So it's already hard as it is. Probably don't need powerdowns then :p

Or maybe powerdowns can be put into insane mode :p

4. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Well it took me a while to even get to 500.

Maybe like faster speed/speed up would be pretty cool.

5. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Wouldn't having faster speed make the game even harder? Or are we still talking about powerdowns that can make the game difficult? :p

6. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I meant if there was an insane mode.

7. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Oh! Yeah... that would be quite cool :p

8. Keeping in-line with the environment being the power-up or down, different hazards in the game effect you differently. For example if you fall into a Tar pit your abilities become unusable for about 10 seconds after you get out. Quicksand slows you down, and so on. I like your idea of putting in more though!

We have planned for a few wheel-based ones in an update and I like your idea of changing the wheel size.

The contest will begin soon. I'll post more information about this later on.

Have you unlocked "Endless Rush" mode yet? That is an insane mode. (In that the game tries to kill you as efficiently as it can.) A speed up mechanic would be pretty cool to add though.

Thanks for your suggestions, I liked hearing them :)

9. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    nope...couldn't play all weekend was sick...

Anyways I am playing right now but keep dieing sub 500:mad:

I should be able to get 500 later today so I will post soon how it is prab.:)

10. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    lol... Best of luck!!! By the way, 500 points is how many minutes of gametime?

11. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    lol I should clarify that.

I meant 500 yards...which unlocks new challange modes such as something similar to insane but you also get additional points to your score by the number of coins collected so it doesn't take very long to get 500 but it is a bit of a trouble to get there.

12. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Finally got past 500 and your right the rush mode is pretty insane.

One complaint I have is that while I like that you have the game either going right to left or vise versa, I wish that you could flick with your left hand and use the items with you right hand. As the original right to left I flick wiht my left hand as it is more comfortable but couldn't use the items to my advantage, while the left to right, even though being able to use use both my items and flicking on different hands, did not feel as natural for me going that way.

Anyways I have to say the maps are brilliant. They add a lot more replay value than expected as I love replaying the levels to find what treaure I can get next.

One thing/power up I would like to see possibly in the future is something that gives you a short time of invicinbility or something as in a coin multiplier would be nice.

13. #53 TwoLivesLeft, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Thanks skyye!

About the controls: did you try changing the Game UI Position from "Left" to "Right" in the Options screen? This will put the ability buttons on the other side of the screen. Hopefully this is what you want!

An invincibility, or wheel-invincibility power-up is something that would be good to add. There is actually something similar in the game already. Do you notice the little circle with a number in it that builds up next to your lifebar?

[​IMG]

This is the Skill Multiplier, and you can build it up by staying inside the wheel and not getting hit by enemies or touching the ground. The higher it is, the more powerful you are, it has the following effects:

Damage reduction: Take less damage from enemies and hazards
    Heal faster: Health regenerates based on how high the multiplier is
    Repair cheaper: Repairs will cost 20 - X, where X is whatever your multiplier is. It can be a maximum of 9, so at that point you can buy repairs for 11 coins.

14. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Gahh! I feel like an idiot:eek:. Can't believe I never noticed that and yes it solves that problem.

On the multiplier, I think you should add that somewhere in the game as I was also wondering what that did. I think that you should add that in your tutorial as people will begin to wonder what it does.

15. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Is there a help screen in the game for all info about the skill multiplier, etc? :D

16. You're absolutely right. At the moment it is only explained in several of the loading screen tips.

There is a help button on every screen of the game that you can press at any time, however the only thing not covered is the skill multiplier. At the moment the loading screen tips explain it, but we will add proper coverage for it.

17. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Yeah you probably need one video that consolidates all the fun aspects of the game: the avoiding obstacles, The highscore aspect of the game, the multipliers, the equipment, the varying level designs, etc. The video in the first post is a little short.

18. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    That is good idea but more on the tutorial, I think that it should include when your in the wheel of dodging cannonballs, other hazards such as magma and the poison pool and etc. but not too long.

19. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    any chance of picking the winners soon? This looks really fun and skyye06 over here is making me jealous xP I want to play too! ;P

20. In that case, I'll announce the players in four hours. So anyone who wants to be considered has until then! In the mean time, here are the prizes:

[​IMG]

I'll go over the prizes in more detail when the competition starts!

Absolutely, good point. I'll put something together going over some basic strategy.