Wheeler's Treasure - Piratey Platformer - 99 cents! [APPROVED]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TwoLivesLeft, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Which new item sounds the most fun?

1. Pirate Pistol

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Peg Leg

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Voodoo Doll

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Pet Parrot

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Sacrificial Rubber Chicken

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. skyye: Thanks for the quick feedback. Regarding cannonballs, here are a couple of the strategies we use to keep them from hitting the wheel:

• By jumping on them to knock them out (this is tricky as they are one of the faster moving enemies)
    • By sacrificing some of your health and jumping in front of them, taking the hit for the wheel - sometimes this is worth it.
    • When you find the Cutlass, you can use that to knock them out of the air if you time your slash correctly
    • When you find the Wooden Bucket and put it on your head (though it looks ridiculous, see below). You can head-butt them out of the way, you also take less damage from volcanic rocks.
    • If you get the Voodoo Pocket Watch you can slow down time and pretty easily stomp the cannonballs out of the air.

The Hook is definitely a helpful item, you can use it arc over the top of enemies and drop down on them, taking them out. To save yourself from pits of acid and lava, and so on.

Also one of the reasons you may not have gotten too many coins early on is because they can be stolen by Crows. They'll swoop in and steal coins or gems from in front of you. You can see what they're holding in their talons, and if you stomp on them you'll get the loot back.

378 Yarrds is quite good for a first go. I think the highest score we had in playtesting was about 1500.

Wooden Bucket
    [​IMG]

2. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Thanks for the tips, giving it another try...going for at least past 500.

One thing that also made me get the least amount of coins was that I was frantically swiping up to reach the coins but I miss it.

3. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'll state one thing for sure:

The game's art style looks wonderful!

*adds to list of anticipated upcoming games

4. Hi arta, sorry for taking so long to address this.

Here's an item preview video for the Voodoo Pocketwatch, hopefully things are ...slower... here.

As for grabbing the wheel: that is completely under the player's control, sorry that it's unclear in the first video. It's a bit like in HookChamp - you simply hold your finger on top of the Pirate Hook icon and if you are near the wheel you'll grab hold and swing. Letting go releases.

Each ability has a charge, indicated by the little glowy bar that springs out when you touch it, drain the charge and the ability disables and will start recharging when not in use.

Thanks spiffyone, It's really cool to hear that you enjoy the look of the game.

5. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    99 cents? WOW! Okay, Im marking my calendar now :p

Edit: Just saw the pocket watch video! Amazing item :D

6. Thanks Prab! This video better explains some of the gameplay, it's less hectic than the trailer.

I'm going to post some stuff later on that goes into the game mechanics a little bit. For example, we wanted the environment to impact your options in the game rather than having the standard floating power-ups. So to heal your character you can jump into water when there is some nearby.

7. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I thought that was very clever.

One thing though, I unlocked a few maps but How do I use them or are they already in play when I play adventure mode again.

Oh and guys 99c is a great deal, I plan on getting it to support the dev when it comes out.

8. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Wow, just saw this thread. game looks great. Gameplay looks unique and fun, and I'm lovin the art style. Nice Work :)

9. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    The music score is also done wonderfully.

@ Twolivesleft Just got the golden magnet should make work easier now:D

10. Maps go into play the next time you play Adventure. Unlocking a map means that whatever it leads to can now be found in the world. When you find whatever it leads to the map will be marked off as "Completed" in your Maps area.

The map itself gives you a description of where an item can be found. (And if you find the Telescope item, that gives you a little indicator telling you when to expect the next important treasure.)

Thanks for playing, skyye. Your feedback has been really cool to read.

Thanks Fletch, glad you like it!

11. Wheeler's Treasure Score Run

Join the Score Run!
    [​IMG]

Instructions
    In order to get selected as a player just become a fan on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. Either tweet your TouchArcade username to @TwoLivesLeft or post it on the FB page so we know who's who. We'll then pick 20 of you randomly and provide you with an Ad-Hoc build of Wheeler's Treasure to play with.

What is this for?
    We want to see just how high you guys can score. There'll be prizes for the best scores - but we'll announce them on the competition forum once we've picked the players. Also, we'd love to get feedback and suggestions from you about the game.

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Tweeted.

Drelbs/Drelbs. ;)

13. sinuyan

sinuyan Active Member

Oct 4, 2009
    became a fan on facebook. :D

14. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Guess I better get online and spam my scores:D

15. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Can I just tweet about it but not be a fan on facebook? I don't really use it. Lol

16. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    Did both. Twitter - @thegamerocks06 and facebook - Jaskaran

17. Thanks to everyone who's joined up so far!

Haha, yeah. This was originally going to be "Who can beat skyye's score?" :p

Absolutely, either is fine, as long as we know who you are on TouchArcade when we select players.

18. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Awesome!! I just followed and sent a tweet your way :D

19. Thanks Prab and everyone who's joined up!

20. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    tweeted :) I'm @xFinch713x :p