Wheeler's Treasure - Piratey Platformer - 99 cents! [APPROVED]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TwoLivesLeft, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Which new item sounds the most fun?

1. Pirate Pistol

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Peg Leg

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Voodoo Doll

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Pet Parrot

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Sacrificial Rubber Chicken

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    LOL! I used to hate the bats too! But now that I have the cutcass, I can take care of those b*tches! :D

2. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    AKA firepits, bats, ghosts, and cliffs/edges. ugh. i hate rush mode now more than ever.

rub it in while you can... when i get that cutlass, you're going down ;)

3. Ducayne

Ducayne Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    TV/Film Production
    NYC
    Thank you so much for the active updates!

This looks like it's going to be one great game. Very original and polished. I'd totally pay 3-4 dollars for this.

Just wish you went with Plus+ instead of OpenFeint. OpenFeint is becoming a cesspool of horrible games (much like the App Store itself) and sometimes even with buggy/unusable integration. And push notifications would of been really great with it. :(

4. xFinch713x

Apr 26, 2009
    In what way? How would it be useful at all?

5. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Hahaha... it seems that when you get the cutlass, you can easily hit over 700 or 900. The trick is then how to get over 1200 :p

Edit: push notification? Well, you can issue challenges: "I just scored 1000 on adventure mode. Can you beat me? yAArrrr" :p

6. Quite soon!

This is a fantastic idea. We'd also be happy to hear any suggestions for future hazards or power-ups. We really like ones that integrate into the environment as much as possible.

Some technical info: The way the game works is through a series of "directors" that each look at what is currently happening and how far you are. They use this information to decide what to create in-front of you. The directors swap in and out as the game runs according to a probability distribution.

Good job! Time to update the scoreboard
    [​IMG]

7. Thank you for the kind words. We really appreciate your feedback, especially when you tell us it's polished! :)

Plus+ looks fantastic but also very exclusive. While we didn't try to apply for it, we would not have been guaranteed to be "selected". However it's definitely a consideration for future games, and thank you for pointing it out. However, our OpenFeint integration is quite solid as we spent a lot of time getting it right.

We haven't got Push at the moment because we wanted OS2.x support, though it's a cool idea and a possibility for an update.

8. xFinch713x

Apr 26, 2009
    Awesome! Can't wait! I wanna get better :x
    Well first off, fire-retardant pants/shoes that allow you to go into the fire/lava a few times without that nasty burn. Maybe have it hurts still, but not the continuous damage. Hate that..

Mode idea: Super Duper Easy- Only water :D haha jk

9. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    #249 Prab, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    You can make push notification backward compatible by allowing people to send an email challenge instead. I think ngmoco did this for their games before push notification came out. They called it asynchronous play or something. Actually, the challenge by email is probably more doable then actually implementing push notification.

Wow... That is very very cool! So basically the directors decide what to throw at you and as the game runs, the directors appear more often hence making the game harder? Thats a pretty cool and generic way to handle game difficulty and balance. Awesome job! :D

Ideas for new obstacles? hmmm... How about a huge fan with a trap switch? If you hit the switch, the fan blows and your wheel starts moving backwards for 10-20 yaards lol (so basically you need to hop over the switch to avoid this from happening).

Edit:
    Another idea: A tree branch that appears near the top of the screen that will push you back (and out of the wheel if you were inside to begin with) if you hit it. Basically you need to get under the branch to avoid it. I find this one interesting because so far we only have obstacles that we need to jump over, but not go under :p

10. xFinch713x

Apr 26, 2009
    OMG yes... 1013 without cutlass ;) 976 of which were yarrds :D

11. Fudgeboy

Fudgeboy Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    arghh everyone is making me so jealous :D. Come out, come out wherever you are!

12. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Be happy that the game will be 99 cents when it comes out :p Im really quite surprised by the price point. I think everyone who's had some time on the game would say the same.

13. thegamerocks06

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    I agree! It could easily be around 3 bucks!

14. thegamerocks06

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    Just scored 1122! Tied with THE STUD at 3rd position! What are the odds? :|

15. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Any release date update? When are the rest of us going to get to join in all the fun?

16. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    I still can't get past 773, but I'll keep trying! :)

17. thegamerocks06

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    No worries! I just bettered my previous record a bit! ;)

18. xFinch713x

Apr 26, 2009
  19. friendlytoaster

friendlytoaster Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Programmer
    Chicago
    I actually prefer OpenFeint. I don't see how it's a bad thing that it's used in a ton of games. It's got a pretty nice offline mode, and I like how easy it is to find friends. The UI is also much nicer since they released 2.1.

20. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Two things I hate in this game are the bats and the ghosts. By the time I get to 500 yaards the bats have taken me to one heart and then the ghosts finish me off.