What's with the Authoritarian Moderators on TA!?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by natedogg213, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

I love threads like these.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Generally speaking it's good forum etiquette to search before posting. The threads you're complaining about, as someone already mentioned, have been posted more times than I can even remember.

3. Austin:]

Austin:] Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I ain't no freaken moderator!!!:mad: I'm just telling you not to complain so you don't get an infraction like I did!

4. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I lol'ed.

5. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    Question. What is bumoing? I am seriously uneducated in these things. Didn't realize what bumping was until 2 day ago.

6. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Bumoing is bumping, just misspelled. You probably saw that in da shiz wiz's signature. :p

7. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    *giggles*

8. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out! ;)

9. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    The only awful admin here is Hodapp, who can't think his way out of a paper bag!!!!!!!!

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

What is Eli doing in a paper bag? :confused:

11. Negamaki

Negamaki Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    What TA really needs is a totalitarian, single-man party, with Dr. Arn as head dictator.

12. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    I was half-heartedly following a thread the other day, that someone else had created...
    They set up a new post in the General Game Discussion and Questions section saying they'd got Flight Control and liked it, and had tried Harbour Master and hadn't really enjoyed it that much. They then went on to ask the other forum members what other line-drawing games were available.

Someone (I can't remember who) responded rather rudely and abruptly, suggesting that the OP take their post to the Mass "What should I get?" Thread — which as we all know is another way of saying stick your post in the metaphorical trash, because that's all that thread is...

I responded at that point, pointing out why the post was not fodder for that mass thread, as the question was valid, and was specifically about line-drawing games.
    The topic did NOT fit the criteria of the mass thread, which is: a general mass collection of "what games should I get with my $___ gift card?" and it WAS totally appropriate for a new post in the General Game Discussion and Questions section.

I then went on to answer the OP as well, with some thoughts of my own about his original question.

I kept the page open in my browser and I checked back it a little later and refreshed the page only to be quite surprised, and I admit even a little annoyed, to see that the thread HAD indeed been merged into the mass thread, and I was viewing that thread instead of the one I had been viewing. I was now buried deep in a load of disjointed arbitrary random questions...

Firstly, I do not know why it was moved, and secondly, I don't even know why this mass thread exists...
    As I said, it's effectively and realistically a "trash" section... Why does the forum need a trash section? If mods do think any posts should be moderated, then do the appropriate action:
    If the topic is in the wrong section, then move it as-is to the correct section.
    If the topic is in the correct section, but it's a repeat question, then leave it where it is for those who were checking on it, but lock it, and put in a link to the other post that it is repeating.
    If the topic really is complete nonsense and deserves to be trashed, then hey, have the cojones to actually delete it for real, keeping the forum nice and clean and free from trash. Merging these threads into one mass thread of pointlessness is, well, it's pointless... That thread doesn't serve any real purpose other than to be some kind of "Hall Of Shame" where we can all go and look at the silly people who have posted silly questions and have had their wrists slapped for doing so...

:rolleyes:

13. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Yes.

14. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    This thread.... should be named the same thing as kijib's thread.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Two things I notice here...

Neither do we, yet that's what we'd be doing if every single "I have $$$, what should I buy?" topic was left where it was.

70k threads is the exact reason such organization needs to be enforced. I haven't even been here a year, yet I've seen enough of the two topics you started to know they need to be sorted out, they make the forums messy and bloated.

16. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    #36 BrettArchibald, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    You would NOT have to sift through hundreds upon hundreds of pages, as you could simply skip the titles that do not interest you, and only read the pages of the topics that do interest you. You don't have to read every single thread on the site.
    The "Mass "What should I get?" Thread" currently has 340 pages / 3,393 replies. Now that truly is a pointless thread, full of queries that no-one ever will bother answering, so why do mods bother adding more info into it?

That "Mass "What should I get?" Thread" is pointless and stupid, and mods should not be adding to it randomly...

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sure I would. You just told me the mass thread has 3393 replies. Spread those replies out over their own individual topics and that's a lot of shit I've gotta sift through to find a decent topic. I don't have to open them, but the topic list itself would be full of rubbish and I'd be going through more pages to find one worth opening.

18. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    #38 BrettArchibald, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    I agree with that to a degree, yes, but perhaps you're missing my main point, or perhaps I've strayed a little too tangentially from the original specific topic of this thread...
    The point I'm making is NOT that I would like to see the arbitrary and random "I have $$$, what should I buy?" topics stay where they are, because I do agree that something should be done about those.
    What I AM saying though is that (1) I think some mods are a little too eager to merge other topics into that thread when they do not meet the criteria, and (2) the whole mass thread should not even exist anyway, as there are better ways to deal with repeat topics, such as (i) locking, (ii) merging into another specific thread, or even (iii) deleting.
    The mass thread is just a trash dumping ground...

Taking into account the example I saw, the person was asking specifically about what other line-drawing games there were. That does not merit being chucked into a "I have $$$, what should I buy?" mass thread...

Why does that thread exist? It helps no-one. It does not help the person who made the original post, it does not help people who are searching for similar terms that the OP had written, and it does not help anyone who may be reading the mass thread (which would be no-one).

19. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    The sticky thread in the lounge is the "pointless spam" thread.

The mass "what should I get" thread has a purpose. So far 91,953 views. People are looking at the new posts in that thread and not all the old posts.

20. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    #40 da shiz wiz 19, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
    I bet you haven't even read the thread. So many memebers are so active in giving suggestions to EVERYONE who asks.

That thread has saved the site about 300 threads. 340 pages? It's usually one page to each "What should I get?" thread.