iPad What's up with the quick price drops?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by McGill, Nov 14, 2008.

1. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Just bought Armado yesterday & it already dropped by $2.00...Alot of the games drop the same day they post. I guess i'm just bitching because when i see a game i like, i buy it. My problem, i guess. Just wish there was a time limit on changing prices, like if you want the game & it's too expensive, knowing it will drop after, say, 30 days.

Does this make any sense? Do I?

Probobly not...;)

Oh, well.

2. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Yeah you make sense, and so does your post.
    I bought SPiN when it first came out and it has only been on it's original price for a few weeks, but in this case I feel happy about supporting the developer who took the time to come to the TouchArcade forums.

But in general, I won't purchase a game on the first day unless it's at an introduction price of $0,99, if it's any more than that there's a good chance the price will drop and you could have saved a few bucks. And for those bucks, you could have purchased other games!

I mean, I'm glad that there are people on this forum who purchase games right away so that there can be discussion, but I'm being more careful on how I spend my money.

3. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
  4. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    yeah i will now wait a month to get any game that is $4.99 or over, because of course by then its price will have dropped...

damn you Armado developers (just kidding)

5. thor0298

thor0298 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    yeah i think its crap too
    im getting sick of the tricky softwares and touch soft
    places pulling this crap
    it isnt fair and i think pisses off a lot of people

6. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
  7. jonaswills

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    haha, it brought a lot of new customers, sales doubled :-D

8. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    well thats why i dont buy apps that fast... im gonna keep waiting, with the influx of new games this season, devs will be pressured to lower their prices...

9. RaiderRich721

RaiderRich721 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Self Employed! Love being my own boss! This is the
    CALI
    Quick Price drops!!!

YA, I'm not sure what to make of this especially with the apps that change price within 24 hours! I pretty much fight the urge now after I made the mistake of "impulse" buying a few times. It's hard though seeing something you want but having to wait to buy it, but on the other hand we haven't had to wait very long with some of the apps lately.

10. jonaswills

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    I've been thinking about this for awhile and ya... it pisses me off as a developer and a consumer. If we as a developer want to get a lot of sales we need popularity so we lower the price.... but then we lose money.

As a consumer, ya... why would you want to buy a game knowing the price would change? If it is high you wait for it to go low to buy it... and if you don't buy it when it's low and it goes up you regret not buying it...

Still thinking of how to handle the pricing for our next game... perhaps introduction pricing for a defined week or so, and let people know when and what it will go up to. Does this sound fair to consumers?

11. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    yes, then TouchArcade members have a week to convince me. :p

12. ShibaChica

ShibaChica Member

Nov 4, 2008
    good job guys...

ok... ok... y'all bitched and whined enough and the dev raised the price again.... I have burned by price drops also but I know in the real world they have these things called sales and promotional offers in various stores and I buy things for more than I should there sometimes also... or go to another store and find the same thing for a lesser price... here there is only one store and one way to sell a product... so yes these tight parameters breed an even more intense environment of competition which, in turn, breeds price wars... It is the way of the world. Sorry to be so blunt but gettting tired of hearing the same whine every day.

~SC

13. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Every Day? Looks like "Junior" has it all figured out, with just 4 posts...impressive.

14. ShibaChica

ShibaChica Member

Nov 4, 2008
    mc

yeah I don't post too often.... but I still can read.... I realize this is like throwing gasoline on a fire.... but yes I read this forums pretty much every day but only post when I really believe something... I don't post just to boost my rank.... you can take my words as you like... they are just food for thought....you know... as if there is more than one side to an issue...

~sc

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Yes, it sounds fair. There are 2 options:
    1. Introductory price, so for the first 24hour people can buy your game at this special price, then it will always stay there for a while.

2. No introductory price, but telling them that there'll be a price drop in the next 2-3 weeks. This way, those who can't wait to play the game can pay the early adopters price, while those who wait can get the price drop.

To me, #2 makes much more sense, because everything in this electronic world works that way. If you wanna buy the latest gadget that's just released, you have to pay the premium price. But if you can wait for a while, you'll pay cheaper price.

16. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    works for mE!!!

17. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Basic rule of business: you don't announce price drops ahead of time, you simply lose sales by doing so.

Introductory offers are a different thing, and might make sense for getting a better position in the sales charts.

If saving money is of importance when shopping in the App Store, the choice is obvious: don't buy any game until 1-2 months have passed since its release unless there's a limited-time $1 offer. Most smaller games will have stabilized their prices by then, and $10 games have probably shaved off their first $2.

Let's just all remember the simple basics: the App Store is a buyer/seller relationship, the developers are out there to make the most money they can from selling their products. The customer decides how much they want to spend and when.