What's the scariest game you ever played on an iDevice?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by aikavari, Jan 27, 2014.

1. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
  2. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Thanks.... Now this is what I call a true horror game!

3. kmonkey

kmonkey Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Thanks for the feedback :D

It's always useful to hear that the main aim of the game (scare players) is hitting the right spot. Perhaps this now gives me a good foundation to work from to flesh out the other parts of the game. :eek:

4. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Some things that might prove cool:

- Since the monster seems corporeal, the ability to push him aside at least once per level might reduce the impact of bad luck in terms of spawn points for both you and the monster.
    - The ability to hide might prove useful too. Now to reduce the reliance of hiding, probably something like increased chance of finding you every level would be good as well. Seeing the monster pass you while you're hiding, knowing full well he can still find you would really add to the tension.
    - While the candle and overall darkness gives the game it's atmosphere, it seems to dark still. It makes it especially hard to play when you're outside. Probably increase visibility by a foot more would be good, I dunno. Something that improves visibility but doesn't change your vision of what the game should be.

5. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Without giving away too much, the ability to hide is in there and they will search for you in the last known position. At times they may not roam and just sit there waiting for u to come :)

I've been so strict on the darkness levels and the candles brightness. Going too much in either direction can make or break the atmosphere right now.

6. Is it that scary? Indigo Lake wasn't too scary too me, a little creepy, but didn't get scared. Will have to check out dungeon nightmare, doubt it will be scary, but who knows.

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, I would say it's scary for a game. It's hard to get get people to jump out of their pants, but this game has a genuine sense of impending doom and things will happen unexpectedly in such tight quarters. In Indigo Lake, it's more open and the cabins are better lit.

8. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    do you mean there are actual places to hide or do you mean run to other rooms and try to lose the monster? :p

Yeah I guess you're right about the atmosphere. My only gripe is that sometimes I want to play when I'm outside as well and the glare makes this impossible to play as nothing is visible.

9. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    run to other rooms to hide :p also for a small hint.. don't stick around too much in the same location as she will always search there first when she enters the world.

I actually have proper line of sight mechanics in there for the AI but I have adjusted it to what you get now. It may change in the future but perhaps saving that for new creatures to enter the dungeon :D

I know what you mean about the brightness outside... I too had trouble and messed around with the brightness to make it playable outside. But when I got home and tested it endlessly in my room, it made things far too easy to see without using candles. Not to mention, players may have their phone brightness on full and they could get an unfair advantage.

10. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I can't wait to buy this game. So much hype!

11. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    You're right, I can change the brightness on the ipad easy enough so I can increase it when I want to play this game out of the house and dial it back when I'm inside. Of course there's nothing stopping a player from just increasing the brightness to make it easier to see regardless if one is indoor or outdoor.

Hmm... Are developers able to access the same mechanism used to handle the auto-brightness setting of the ipad itself? Maybe you can use that to increase or decrease screen brightness depending on available lighting?

12. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    On a side note, maybe we should continue this discussion on your thread instead of here to increase awareness of your game. We've pretty much established that the players posting on this thread recognize your game as scariest LOL.

13. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    oh how far we’ve come!

14. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Forgotten memories

squarezero likes this.