iPad What's the best solitaire for iphone/itouch?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Mullet, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Mullet

Mullet Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Just curious on your thoughts about which is the one to go for. If the $9.99 versions are good enough, then I'll throw down the cash for one of them.

~Mullet

2. redmercuryllc

redmercuryllc New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Check out AcidSolitaire (solitaire, freecell and spider)

I have to recommend AcidSolitaire Collection. This is not just a shameless plug - I honestly think this is the best solitaire game out there for the iPhone.

A couple reasons I like AcidSolitaire:
    - touch play is quick, responsive and forgiving. Cards move when you want, where you want. It is easy to sit and play a mindless game while just listening to my music.
    - like all solitaire games, it is fun to check your stats but AcidSolitaire takes it a step further. In addition to all the usual stats, all your "Unfinished Games" (in progress or lost) are listed so you can go back and try to win them. When I am on a win streak, I like to go back and try to clear out some games I haven't finished to improve my win %.
    - and I hate to say it, I use the hints all the time. The sparkle hints are really helpful.

Includes Solitaire, Freecell and Spider. Here are two video demos to check out:
    http://www.red-mercury.com/product_ASC_iPhone.html

More information is available here:
    http://www.red-mercury.com/products_faq_ASC_iPhone.html

Screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Regards,

Melissa
    Red Mercury
    http://www.red-mercury.com

3. Rush

Rush New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    How about some opinions that are not biased.. No offence but acid solitare just looks ugly.. and its £6, which is simply too much.

4. chrisb3

chrisb3 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    #4 chrisb3, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
    I really like Solitaire Forever. It has 150 solitaire games and easy on the eyes. Or at least I think it is.

The one thing the developer needs to fix is the ability to listen to your music library while playing. I've emailed him about it and he's looking into making it happen.

App Store Linky

5. joshysquashy

joshysquashy New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Mondo is the best! It looks nice, animates nice, and is a breeze to use.

I did have to pay for it, but it was worth every penny, as it will be the most played game on my iPhone.

Here is the iTunes link for it, I'm sure you'll agree its worth the £5.99!

6. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I'm a big solitaire fan, so I have read a lot of reviews about all the current solitaire games. I picked "Solitaire Top 3," which was just released yesterday. It seems to have bigger cards than some of the others, and an uncluttered look to it. It has regular solitaire, freecell, and spider solitaire.

It can be played in landscape mode so that the cards are a little easier to read. Nothing flashy--just a clean interface that does what it is supposed to do. And cheaper than Acid, Mondo, and Platinum solitaires--only $3.99. I feel like I picked the best one of the games currently offered...

7. chrisb3

chrisb3 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Does Top 3 allow you to listen to your music library while playing?

8. planetMitchdotCom

planetMitchdotCom New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I'm not gonna spent a ton of money buying each one and trying them out! I wish there were an option to try out a game before buying it!

I bought the motor cycle racing game, but for $10 it turns out to be a waste.

I'd love to try out the Acid Solitare games before buying - i thought the video was good, but I'd just rather have an option to try before i buy - it is a feature missing from the app store!

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place i guess - i want lots of games, but i want lots of features too - Acid only has 3 games - but has lots of seemingly nice features from the vid.

Mondo and the Solitare Top 3 seem good, but what to do?!?!

9. TunesRus90

TunesRus90 Member

Jul 11, 2008
    #9 TunesRus90, Jul 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
    Yes, it does.

I also recommend Solitaire Top 3. Just a little piece of information, it is made by the same person who made iSolitaire for jailbroken devices, so it plays basically the same, only with new features (like Freecell and Spider variations). My only complaints are the ugly icon, and playing in portrait mode is a little messed up, but I prefer landscape anyways, so that's not a huge deal, and maybe that will be fixed in an update.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, one of the reviews in the app store said it doesn't save your game when you leave the app, which made me nervous, but it actually does, at least for Klondike, haven't tried Freecell or Spider yet as I don't know how to play them :(

10. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Stay away from Mondo Solitaire

My advice... Stay away from Mondo Solitaire.

Firstly, it's got a bug in Freecell (the game I choose to play 99% of the time), where you have a choice of two settings for:
    - Fill blank spaces with:
    - Any card, or
    - Kings only
    Unfortunately, even with the "any card" option selected, I STILL can only put Kings on blank spaces - and with Freecell, that makes the game utterly impossible to play from a random shuffle.
    I've emailed the developer about this bug, and he reckons a fix will be coming along at some point. When that will be though, I have no clue. Not soon enough in my opinion. Did the developers not play a game of Freecell before releasing their product??

Secondly, as another reviewer on the iTunes Store has also mentioned, there's an annoying "feature" where the numbers on the cards shrink down to a barely legible size, depending on how far down the pile they are. Why the developer decided to do this, I don't know, but the growing and shrinking numbers, with all different sizes on-screen at once, are very distracting.

I bought Mondo Solitaire quite on impulse because it seemed to have a rather slick looking UI, and plenty of games to choose from, but I reckon I'm gonna cut my losses with this purchase and stump up another few quid for a better game. I'll just make sure I get some more details on the app first.

11. schmittyij

schmittyij New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Try Solitaire City

I was also looking for a good solitaire game. Found Solitaire City and am very happy. Graphics are excellent and it includes Klondike, Demon, Poker Squares, Pyramid, Cribbage Squares, Golf, Casket, Alternations, FreeCell, Spider, Eliminator, Yukon and Tri-Peaks AND multiple variations of each of those. To top it all off, it has very well done tutorials to teach you how to play each one.

12. Solitaire City

Solitaire City Active Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Hi-Tech Ski Bum
    South Lake Tahoe
    #12 Solitaire City, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
    Try Solitaire City !

Seeing as the developers of Acid Solitaire recommended their own game, I'm going to do the same for my Solitaire City game as it's not been mentioned yet. Try it out ! Apple just made my v1.01 update available today which fixes all the crash bugs that people have been giving low ratings for, and most of them say that they'd have given the game 5 stars otherwise. The 1.01 update now makes it worthy of a 5 star game .....

http://www.solitairecity.com/iPhone.shtml

The scoring system I added makes Solitaire City so much fun. You play against the clock for points and the faster you win a game the higher your score. If you're connected to the internet via Wi-Fi or cellular then hi-scores from players all around the world are downloaded automatically to your iPhone and it gets quite addictive trying to beat their scores. There are daily, weekly and all time great hi-score tables to compete against.

Cheers !

13. Mullet

Mullet Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I ended up going with Top 3 Solitaire. It ended up being everything I ever wanted in a solitaire game and also the price was right.

~Mullet

14. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Further to my previous post...

Further to my previous post, I deleted Mondo Solitaire of my iPhone and opted for GameLoft's Platinum Solitaire instead.

I have to say, by comparison, this game feels and works SO much better.
    All the cards are very visible on the small screen, and the touch-drag-and-drop works great.
    Plus the price has just come down, so bonus there.
    I would definitely recommend this game.

15. SeaLionGames

SeaLionGames Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Not really solitaire, but a 99-cent single player card/puzzle game

If you like Solitaire, you might also like a game that I worked on called Picnic Poker.

Now don't think for a second that this is Solitaire because it's more like 5 card draw meets an arcade puzzle game, but I've played a lot of Solitaire on my mobile phones and I think that my experience with that influenced aspects of Picnic Poker. Picnic Poker is a single player card game with an initial pacing not unlike a game of Solitaire - although there is a time limit on the length of your turn. You can listen to your music while playing the game - just turn off Picnic Poker's Game Sounds in the Settings app.

Picnic Poker is available for a limited time at a temporarily reduced price of just $0.99, at least until its first update is available for download.

16. gray mouser

gray mouser Active Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Check out Platinum Solitaire. I heard of a bug on it, but I have not experienced it yet:

Platinum Solitaire

The link above loads quicker than iTunes and it has a nice instructional link that gives a lot of detail about the game. You might want to check it out before purchasing.

5 bonus games included for $5 seems like a great deal to me.

17. I bought Soleban Solitaire, tried lite Version of Solitaire City, bought Mondo Solitaire, bought Plantinum Solitare.

I've have to say my favorite is Mondo Solitaire. It has 100 and it tells which ones are related to which ones. Like spider is related to Black Widow and Tarantula. Also like the intelligent move system.

18. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

19. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #19 Carlos-Sz, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
    Solitaire City is one of the best IMO:

- fast
    - smooth animations
    - nice game set (including Tri-Peaks)
    - landscape and portrait
    - high score (including online)
    - basic statistics per game

I've tried others and I'm still trying but SC is still the best! :)